Bullnose Forums

86 F-150 Help

Jmac1773

Hey, folks. I just made my introduction post so I thought I'd jump right in and ask some questions if you don't mind. I've had old cars before ('67 Mustang, '67 Firebird, '61 Studebaker 2-door wagon) but I need to learn about my old Bullnose. Most of my questions center around the carb and engine bay so far. So here we go...

First, I'm guessing this isn't the stock carb, right?

20201111_141210.jpg.bfc342e57b8c9457cc32e8678be5c243.jpg

Second, what's missing here?

20201111_195347.jpg.a24aeeb9bf135a38075df540fe4f67e9.jpg

And here?

20201111_195408.jpg.b0c082df84d9f348ab45331038a53acd.jpg

Aaaand here?

20201111_195428.jpg.36af814e5355e9eb262f7a8850e304b4.jpg

Bonus question: What is this wire loop? It attaches to nothing under the air cleaner cover...

20201111_141449.jpg.f1e3f3f9ace36ec5ec440ba77b5a8fd4.jpg

Also, I learned on another forum that the green wire coming out of the DSII box is for my tach - which doesn't work. What components might I need to get it working again?

20201115_104029.jpg.34b16488103fbcce318896409657b37f.jpg

Oh... and more importantly, the fuel gauge doesn't work either. But I'll do some more research on that and post only if my ignorance overtakes my knowledge. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Lastly, sorry for the neck-bending. Not sure why some of the pics turned CCW on me.

I can answer the picture orientation question. It is because this forum's software, like most, was written before cameras embedded its orientation info in the metadata within the picture's file. And smart devices, like your phone, re-orient it before they display it to you. But this forum doesn't.

The solution is to open the picture in an editing package, some of which are free, and save it. That usually fixes the problem. But, be aware that the largest file you can post on here w/o ticking the Big box is 999 KB, meaning 1 Mb won't load. So when you edit your pics you might want to downsize them to about 500 Kb.

As for the carb, in the first pic the carb's vent to the charcoal cannister below the battery has been plugged.

Also, in the second and third pics the exhaust heat system has been removed from the choke. Originally the line in #2 ran down to the exhaust and pulled in hot air for the choke. There was also a clean air feed to the exhaust from the carb, which is probably the line in #3.

The line in #5 is probably the vacuum line to the vacuum advance.

#6 is a vacuum hose on the temp sensor. Read about that here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaners.html

On the tach, read about the wring here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/tachometers.html. But that wire probably goes to the coil.

I can answer the picture orientation question. It is because this forum's software, like most, was written before cameras embedded its orientation info in the metadata within the picture's file. And smart devices, like your phone, re-orient it before they display it to you. But this forum doesn't.

The solution is to open the picture in an editing package, some of which are free, and save it. That usually fixes the problem. But, be aware that the largest file you can post on here w/o ticking the Big box is 999 KB, meaning 1 Mb won't load. So when you edit your pics you might want to downsize them to about 500 Kb.

As for the carb, in the first pic the carb's vent to the charcoal cannister below the battery has been plugged.

Also, in the second and third pics the exhaust heat system has been removed from the choke. Originally the line in #2 ran down to the exhaust and pulled in hot air for the choke. There was also a clean air feed to the exhaust from the carb, which is probably the line in #3.

The line in #5 is probably the vacuum line to the vacuum advance.

#6 is a vacuum hose on the temp sensor. Read about that here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaners.html

On the tach, read about the wring here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/tachometers.html. But that wire probably goes to the coil.

Looks like a stock Carter YF to me. (Even has the bowl vent -plugged with a bolt-)

Gary is hitting on all cylinders, but the loose wire is for the tach.

You can see the other leg of the green wire going off to the coil.

The green wire must be complete from coil to module because it cannot be grounded without it.

The module's transistor opens and closes the ground, which is the black wire to the distributor.

All these trucks (tach or not) have that clipped off wire going to the instrument cluster plug.

You might try to find it and splice it back together.

Looks like a stock Carter YF to me. (Even has the bowl vent -plugged with a bolt-)

Gary is hitting on all cylinders, but the loose wire is for the tach.

You can see the other leg of the green wire going off to the coil.

The green wire must be complete from coil to module because it cannot be grounded without it.

The module's transistor opens and closes the ground, which is the black wire to the distributor.

All these trucks (tach or not) have that clipped off wire going to the instrument cluster plug.

You might try to find it and splice it back together.

Hmmm?

Please take a photo of the carburetor on the driver's side. From what I can see, the carburetor currently on your truck does not have the feedback solenoid with two electrical wires. Your truck is a 1986, so should have one.

Take a look at the distributor. Does it have a rubber vacuum hose connected to a cannister? Or, is there a grey plug with multiple wires?

Photos #2 & 3 reflect someone disconnecting parts used for the choke, as has been mentioned by John, Gary and Jim.

Here is a link to how the choke for a 1986 4.9L operates: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110073-choke-adjustment-101-a.html

Photo #2 is what remains of the insulated metal tube which is connected to the exhaust manifold and brings heated air to the choke housing.

Photo #3 is originally connected to a red silicone vacuum hose which connects on the other end to the exhaust manifold. There is a tube which passes through the exhaust manifold to gain heat for the choke. The fitting on the carburetor supplies filtered make-up air to supply the hot air to the choke housing. Inside of the choke housing is a very small port which has small vacuum leak to draw in the heated air. The original carburetor is calibrated for this leak.

I cannot remember what the vacuum hose is for in photo #4; probably emissions related.

The "loop" in photo #5... there should be a vacuum hose connected to the rear of the sensor which originates at the vacuum tree which is on the intake manifold, close to the carburetor. The front part of the sensor should have a vacuum hose which connects to the servo on the air cleaner snorkle, which controls the incoming cold air. The snorkle has a flexible rectangular hose connecting it to the radiator support opening. On the bottom of the snorkle should be a 2" diameter hose connected to a shroud around the exhaust manifold [front 3 cylinders]. This supplies hot air and allows the sensor to mix hot and cold incoming air to assist in preventing carburetor icing.

Hmmm?

Please take a photo of the carburetor on the driver's side. From what I can see, the carburetor currently on your truck does not have the feedback solenoid with two electrical wires. Your truck is a 1986, so should have one.

Take a look at the distributor. Does it have a rubber vacuum hose connected to a cannister? Or, is there a grey plug with multiple wires?

Photos #2 & 3 reflect someone disconnecting parts used for the choke, as has been mentioned by John, Gary and Jim.

Here is a link to how the choke for a 1986 4.9L operates: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110073-choke-adjustment-101-a.html

Photo #2 is what remains of the insulated metal tube which is connected to the exhaust manifold and brings heated air to the choke housing.

Photo #3 is originally connected to a red silicone vacuum hose which connects on the other end to the exhaust manifold. There is a tube which passes through the exhaust manifold to gain heat for the choke. The fitting on the carburetor supplies filtered make-up air to supply the hot air to the choke housing. Inside of the choke housing is a very small port which has small vacuum leak to draw in the heated air. The original carburetor is calibrated for this leak.

I cannot remember what the vacuum hose is for in photo #4; probably emissions related.

The "loop" in photo #5... there should be a vacuum hose connected to the rear of the sensor which originates at the vacuum tree which is on the intake manifold, close to the carburetor. The front part of the sensor should have a vacuum hose which connects to the servo on the air cleaner snorkle, which controls the incoming cold air. The snorkle has a flexible rectangular hose connecting it to the radiator support opening. On the bottom of the snorkle should be a 2" diameter hose connected to a shroud around the exhaust manifold [front 3 cylinders]. This supplies hot air and allows the sensor to mix hot and cold incoming air to assist in preventing carburetor icing.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Man, I have a lot to learn. This stuff was simpler in the late 60's cars I've owned. I'm not sure what most of the stuff is that you guys are talking about. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My next obvious question is: Do I need any of this stuff reconnected? It just passed a safety inspection as I was buying it so I'm pretty sure it's not needed for emissions since its exempt. It runs well as far as I can tell but some of that stuff sounds like it might relate to cold weather operation. Right? As it's not my daily, and I'm in Texas, I probably shouldn't have to worry about it, right?

Again - forgive all my newbie questions. I have others (like the popping sound I sometimes hear when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd) but I'll wait to REALLY annoy y'all with questions at a later date...

Thanks for the replies, guys. Man, I have a lot to learn. This stuff was simpler in the late 60's cars I've owned. I'm not sure what most of the stuff is that you guys are talking about. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My next obvious question is: Do I need any of this stuff reconnected? It just passed a safety inspection as I was buying it so I'm pretty sure it's not needed for emissions since its exempt. It runs well as far as I can tell but some of that stuff sounds like it might relate to cold weather operation. Right? As it's not my daily, and I'm in Texas, I probably shouldn't have to worry about it, right?

Again - forgive all my newbie questions. I have others (like the popping sound I sometimes hear when I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd) but I'll wait to REALLY annoy y'all with questions at a later date...

I like your Bible verse reference under the description of your truck!

Hmmm?

Take a look at the distributor. Does it have a rubber vacuum hose connected to a cannister? Or, is there a grey plug with multiple wires

Here's a pic of the overall driver's side and a close-up of the carb. Hope it helps.

20201209_161150.jpg.f75c8b634bcdf3e193d747b977b62b64.jpg

20201209_161127.jpg.642918b780171377144f7797f0531866.jpg

Here's a pic of the distributor. I believe it's the plug variety you mentioned but want to make sure...

20201209_161918.jpg.211c1382c41fd7d68bfecc2d737f0d0f.jpg

Again, sorry to make you crane your necks. I'll try to take Gary's advice and edit the pics before uploading them. If I have time....