Bullnose Forums

Rear Window Gasket

Machspeed

I only used the yellow trim tools from HF. They worked well although I haven't used the tool from Lisle to compare. It wasn't terrible but wore my fingers out since you have to push really hard.

Is that painter still around? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Scott, what is this Lisle tool you speak of in the above quote?

47000. Around $17 on amazon. If doing it again, I think I'd get one. The glass shop guy said it makes it easy.

Steve - so you take the glass inside and pull the rope from outside? Like putting the gasket on the truck first, I've never heard of this approach either. Not doubting it at all and if easier, I'll file it away for next time (kind of like the alternatives to the lubricant from out last discussion on this). Looking at the profile above though that's pulling a lot more rubber out than if you are pulling it in. Not an issue though?

47000. Around $17 on amazon. If doing it again, I think I'd get one. The glass shop guy said it makes it easy.

Steve - so you take the glass inside and pull the rope from outside? Like putting the gasket on the truck first, I've never heard of this approach either. Not doubting it at all and if easier, I'll file it away for next time (kind of like the alternatives to the lubricant from out last discussion on this). Looking at the profile above though that's pulling a lot more rubber out than if you are pulling it in. Not an issue though?

Scott.....You are actualy pulling less, not to mention that it has the groove in it for the locking strip. That makes it less of a fight because it folds at that groove to pop the gasket to the outside of the cab easer.

Like I said before, I can do a windshield set up the same way in a Peterbilt 377,386,389, ect, lock ring and all in around 20 minutes using my method.

John, Im not here to beat anybody about anything. In my humble oppinion it is plain simpler to put the gasket on the window, then take some parashut cord or some 12 ga wire and cover it in dish soap or some silicone spray lube and put the cord in the body groove of the gasket then set the gasket over the body from the inside. Have some one lightly push down and out as you slowly pull the cord from the outside. The cord will pull the gasket out and over the cab edge as you go around the the gasket. Window installed with gasket takes about 20 minutes.

Then lube up the locking strip and feed it in. Start in the bottom center.

I put windshelds in semi trucks like this all of the time, the ones that dont glue in with the urathaine

No Steve, always appreciate your input! That's an interesting approach and not at all what I was thinking. I've seen this done both ways on YouTube but on different year trucks. The approach you speak of was done on a 66 f100. Another individual did it on an 82 F150 pulling the rope from the inside. I assumed they did it differently because the gaskets were different. Below are the two videos I reviewed, the first of which is the company that made my gasket.

66 Ford:

82 Ford:

Scott I don't have one, but even as a one use tool $17 would be worth it not to have to fight that strip into the groove.

Scott I don't have one, but even as a one use tool $17 would be worth it not to have to fight that strip into the groove.

With the help of my son, I got the gasket/weatherstrip on the glass. The thing I notice, and not sure if it matters, is that all four corners where the chrome lockstrip goes are somewhat collapsed. See photo. Thoughts? Scott do you recall this?

IMG_1202.jpg.ab1f70bfe9b683140520329ab84b780c.jpg

With the help of my son, I got the gasket/weatherstrip on the glass. The thing I notice, and not sure if it matters, is that all four corners where the chrome lockstrip goes are somewhat collapsed. See photo. Thoughts? Scott do you recall this?

Great video on lockstrip tool and use:

Ordered! Thank you, Scott!!!

Yep - mine curled back just like that. Once installed but prior to the lock strip I am thinking they changed direction and curled out giving me a little pause. Once you get the lock strip in though, they snap tight against the truck.

Congrats on the tool purchase! Really looking forward to feedback on it :nabble_smiley_happy:

Yep - mine curled back just like that. Once installed but prior to the lock strip I am thinking they changed direction and curled out giving me a little pause. Once you get the lock strip in though, they snap tight against the truck.

Congrats on the tool purchase! Really looking forward to feedback on it :nabble_smiley_happy:

Thanks for that confirmation, Scott. Puts me at ease! And, thanks again for the input on the tool. Should have it Friday. Appreciate ya, man.