Bullnose Forums

Rear Window Gasket

Machspeed

I did - after reading and getting some advice from here and on FTE.

I only used the yellow trim tools from HF. They worked well although I haven't used the tool from Lisle to compare. It wasn't terrible but wore my fingers out since you have to push really hard.

The sealant may have only been needed due to the aftermarket CLR. It comes with hard corner extensions but I am guessing they aren't quite enough.

Is that painter still around? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Got a response from prp....."Gasket goes on the body, then put the glass in the gasket, then the chrome lockstrip goes in the gasket. Please let me know if you have any other questions".

Unless I'm misreading the response, I'm not even sure how to respond to that without coming across as insulting.

Scott, the painter is still around but fully retired. I contacted him some time back for some work but he wanted nothing of it, mostly due to health. He's also not very savvy with a phone in so much as pictures, texting, and stuff. I may try to call him, as I thought about him in this.

Got a response from prp....."Gasket goes on the body, then put the glass in the gasket, then the chrome lockstrip goes in the gasket. Please let me know if you have any other questions".

Unless I'm misreading the response, I'm not even sure how to respond to that without coming across as insulting.

Scott, the painter is still around but fully retired. I contacted him some time back for some work but he wanted nothing of it, mostly due to health. He's also not very savvy with a phone in so much as pictures, texting, and stuff. I may try to call him, as I thought about him in this.

Who, or what, is prp... in this context?

No, I don't think they have a clue.

I did - after reading and getting some advice from here and on FTE.

I only used the yellow trim tools from HF. They worked well although I haven't used the tool from Lisle to compare. It wasn't terrible but wore my fingers out since you have to push really hard.

The sealant may have only been needed due to the aftermarket CLR. It comes with hard corner extensions but I am guessing they aren't quite enough.

My CRL slider seemed to seal well enough without added sealant.

But I can understand "insurance"

Interesting! Looking at the profile of the gaskets, I guess maybe it is a six/half- dozen situation as far as if you use the rope to install the gasket on the body vs the glass?

Possibly even easier on the lock strip version since it has the gap for 'give'.

Hadn't ever thought of that direction.

Glad to hear yours sealed well Jim. Really happy with the slider itself.

John, Im not here to beat anybody about anything. In my humble oppinion it is plain simpler to put the gasket on the window, then take some parashut cord or some 12 ga wire and cover it in dish soap or some silicone spray lube and put the cord in the body groove of the gasket then set the gasket over the body from the inside. Have some one lightly push down and out as you slowly pull the cord from the outside. The cord will pull the gasket out and over the cab edge as you go around the the gasket. Window installed with gasket takes about 20 minutes.

Then lube up the locking strip and feed it in. Start in the bottom center.

I put windshelds in semi trucks like this all of the time, the ones that dont glue in with the urathaine

I'm following this as Big Blue's insert is crumbling but the gasket is fine. So I'm wondering if I can just replace the insert.

Same here, I believe you can pull the insert out and replace it with another. I how ever want to pull my back window out when the body work is done so any rust behind the rubber can be fixed and everything can be painted. I hope to save my rubber so I can reuse it and just install a new lock insert. I also have to find the gaskets for the sliding glass itself as mine are aged and Id like to replace them. There was a set on ebay NOS last year but I didnt grab them and the guy never relisted them.

John, Im not here to beat anybody about anything. In my humble oppinion it is plain simpler to put the gasket on the window, then take some parashut cord or some 12 ga wire and cover it in dish soap or some silicone spray lube and put the cord in the body groove of the gasket then set the gasket over the body from the inside. Have some one lightly push down and out as you slowly pull the cord from the outside. The cord will pull the gasket out and over the cab edge as you go around the the gasket. Window installed with gasket takes about 20 minutes.

Then lube up the locking strip and feed it in. Start in the bottom center.

I put windshelds in semi trucks like this all of the time, the ones that dont glue in with the urathaine

I don't know how anyone could put the gasket on the body flange and then get the window into the gasket.

Ii try to avoid soap because it attracts water by capillary action, and silicone because of contamination if I ever want to paint.

Gojo has lanolin, works really well, wipes off and is always around the shop.

Scott, what is this Lisle tool you speak of in the above quote?