Bullnose Forums

Need some parts - Tach, Dash gauge circuit, radio

LM has the printed circuit, six different part numbers depending on application, they're all $85. They also have white face overlays for an instrument cluster if you're interested. LM also carries a complete instrument cluster that has a tach, all the hook up parts and sensors for full 6-gage telemetry, but it's pricy - $750.

Someone is making the circuits? I had no idea.

Do you have a link?

LM?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I had no idea. My apologies for saying used only :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Will add a correction to my post above.

Scott..........dont worry about it. It came up when I did a Google search for the circute board on mine. When I took the dash out to change some bulbs I found that all of the contacts in the board and plug need cleaning and that solved most of my problems. I filed that little tidbit away until yesterday and dident say anything because he was looking for a tach also.

Scott..........dont worry about it. It came up when I did a Google search for the circute board on mine. When I took the dash out to change some bulbs I found that all of the contacts in the board and plug need cleaning and that solved most of my problems. I filed that little tidbit away until yesterday and dident say anything because he was looking for a tach also.

Mike,

If you have the dash out, remove the tachometer. On the back will be 4 posts: "B" = battery [12 volts], "C" = coil [green wire from ignition coil], "G" = ground and "8" is a second ground used only for V8 applications.

Temporarily hard wire the tach and with the engine running, see if the tachometer works. I bet it will! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Mike,

If you have the dash out, remove the tachometer. On the back will be 4 posts: "B" = battery [12 volts], "C" = coil [green wire from ignition coil], "G" = ground and "8" is a second ground used only for V8 applications.

Temporarily hard wire the tach and with the engine running, see if the tachometer works. I bet it will! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave, I was wondering if there was a test for the tach. I figured if his wasent having some of the same issues as mine was. I was able to fix all of mine but one, with a pensel eraser to clean up the contacts in the plugs. As he said it was back together, I dident go any farther.

Mike,

So you're thinking the printed circuit assembly is the issue with the Tach?

I did order a complete dash cluster from E-Bay. Of course it is going to be as old as the one I have now, but hopefully works. That would get me another printed circuit assy and a Tach along with the other gauges that I don't need (so those would be more spare parts).

On the radio, it's not a big deal that it doesn't work - but it would be nice to have it. My truck is not a daily driver. I don't want to pay $250+ for a "retro radio" since I don't use the truck that much. It would be worth $50 or so to have someone look at it and maybe find a simple problem.

Thanks

So you're thinking the printed circuit assembly is the issue with the Tach?

I did order a complete dash cluster from E-Bay. Of course it is going to be as old as the one I have now, but hopefully works. That would get me another printed circuit assy and a Tach along with the other gauges that I don't need (so those would be more spare parts).

On the radio, it's not a big deal that it doesn't work - but it would be nice to have it. My truck is not a daily driver. I don't want to pay $250+ for a "retro radio" since I don't use the truck that much. It would be worth $50 or so to have someone look at it and maybe find a simple problem.

Thanks

CountryBumkin

Let me know what you would like to do. Like Jim said, it will probably cost around 50 bucks to send it both ways, but these radios are getting increasingly rare and the price on themarket is going up and up.

I did check with nick on the instrument cluster, as long as it is not from a 1980, you are good to go. Like i said above we had the same issue with our Truck and the ranchero, but fortunately,we were able to find one on ebay.

Sounds like you're having fun :nabble_smiley_beam:

1) where can I get a Dash Cluster "circuit board" (I know it's not board, but not sure what to call it)?

Junkyard, parts truck, ebay, etc. Basically the theme is "Used"

UPDATE: please see further down as these are available new

2) is the Tach still available (aftermarket, used or NOS)?

Yes to all three but also depends upon if you are wanting to keep it in the cluster. Aftermarket in the cluster I've only seen with the digital clusters (like Dakota Digital VHX). Not in the cluster and you've got a lot of aftermarket choices. For a direct swap in your cluster, it's back to used or [if lucky and patient ]NOS on ebay.

I would ensure first that you need one and that it isn't all due to the circuit board.

3) Where can I get a (factory looking) Radio (I only need AM/FM, but I assume a Cassette player would be built-in an OEM replacement. But I don't have any cassettes) that fits the stock opening? I don't want to cut the trim panel.

Some neat options here. There are new retro style ones available that incorporate bluetooth or you can have yours rebuilt (a member here that has done that). Or back to the used alternative :nabble_smiley_beam:

I have one out of my 85 that had a tach. It’s yours if you want it.