Bullnose Forums

Need some parts - Tach, Dash gauge circuit, radio

I started the truck up last week and the tach didn't work. I checked all the obvious things under the hood and did not find anything wrong, so I pulled the dash cluster to take a look at the wiring and connections back there. That opened a can of worms.

The circuit board (the flexible plastic thing) on the back of the cluster has some copper strips coming loose where the electrical cable plugs in. When I reconnected the plug I had no turn signal indicators (which worked before). After messing with this for some time, I got them working again (still no Tach). One piece of copper broke off - but thankfully it was an unused slot. I think it would be smart to replace this circuit if it is available. The next time I unplug that connector - I think it will be unrepairable. Several of the copper strips seems to be loose on the backing material where the plug fits in.

The outer plastic cable guide for the gear position indicator broke, but I was able to use some epoxy to hold it together.

The A pillar trim cracked (epoxy again). All the plastic is brittle.

Also my OEM AM/FM/Cass radio is acting up. The left door speaker is not working, but the problem is at/in the radio. The tuning knob broke (internal gear) and I was able to repair that - now the left speaker doesn't work. I don't see any obvious problem inside the radio and that is the extent of my electronics skill.

So --

1) where can I get a Dash Cluster "circuit board" (I know it's not board, but not sure what to call it)?

2) is the Tach still available (aftermarket, used or NOS)?

3) Where can I get a (factory looking) Radio (I only need AM/FM, but I assume a Cassette player would be built-in an OEM replacement. But I don't have any cassettes) that fits the stock opening? I don't want to cut the trim panel.

1982_Ford_F250_Gauge_Cluster.jpg.afd921747c362532e653dd4e6e8c99e1.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're having fun :nabble_smiley_beam:

1) where can I get a Dash Cluster "circuit board" (I know it's not board, but not sure what to call it)?

Junkyard, parts truck, ebay, etc. Basically the theme is "Used"

UPDATE: please see further down as these are available new

2) is the Tach still available (aftermarket, used or NOS)?

Yes to all three but also depends upon if you are wanting to keep it in the cluster. Aftermarket in the cluster I've only seen with the digital clusters (like Dakota Digital VHX). Not in the cluster and you've got a lot of aftermarket choices. For a direct swap in your cluster, it's back to used or [if lucky and patient ]NOS on ebay.

I would ensure first that you need one and that it isn't all due to the circuit board.

3) Where can I get a (factory looking) Radio (I only need AM/FM, but I assume a Cassette player would be built-in an OEM replacement. But I don't have any cassettes) that fits the stock opening? I don't want to cut the trim panel.

Some neat options here. There are new retro style ones available that incorporate bluetooth or you can have yours rebuilt (a member here that has done that). Or back to the used alternative :nabble_smiley_beam:

We can repair your radio. First i need to know , you stated the tuneing knob is broken, Have you been inside the radio? Have you done anything to it at all?

It looks like there are two "Printed Circuit Assy., Instrument Cluster, E1TZ-10K843-B" at different places for sale. I e-mailed both places. This would just be a "backup part" now. I managed to get everything working in the cluster (except the Tach) by tweaking the circuit board connector area. I think the next time I work on it, will be when that circuit assembly fails. So I'll be lucky if I can get the part now.

On the radio, yes I was inside it. The gear on the Tuning shaft failed/slipped so one could not change stations or fine tune a station. I was able to repair that. However I think doing that repair caused the left audio-output to fail. But maybe it is just coincidental. I opened the radio case back up but don't see anything wrong. There are some rusty looking resistors (?) on the radio board near the back but that's above my pay grade.

I cant fix mechanical things, but totally lost when it comes to electronic circuit repair.

On the Tach, well, there are no salvage yards left with 80-86 Ford trucks. At least not around here. I checked the usual sources (Dennis Carpenter, Jeffs Bronco Grvyd, NPD, LMC Truck) nothing. Perhaps EBay or similar. I don't have high expectations.

Finding parts for these old trucks is not as easy as getting parts for a 69 Camaro or Chevelle, etc.

Thanks for that link. While looking at that one, I found a couple more. I was surprised that there was quite a lot for the 1980-86 trucks. It must come in waves as the last time I looked for something for my truck on EBay I could find much.

So I ordered a complete dash cluster (hopefully with a working Tach and good printed circuit assembly) for $149. I'd be happy just if the Tach works.

It looks like there are two "Printed Circuit Assy., Instrument Cluster, E1TZ-10K843-B" at different places for sale. I e-mailed both places. This would just be a "backup part" now. I managed to get everything working in the cluster (except the Tach) by tweaking the circuit board connector area. I think the next time I work on it, will be when that circuit assembly fails. So I'll be lucky if I can get the part now.

On the radio, yes I was inside it. The gear on the Tuning shaft failed/slipped so one could not change stations or fine tune a station. I was able to repair that. However I think doing that repair caused the left audio-output to fail. But maybe it is just coincidental. I opened the radio case back up but don't see anything wrong. There are some rusty looking resistors (?) on the radio board near the back but that's above my pay grade.

I cant fix mechanical things, but totally lost when it comes to electronic circuit repair.

On the Tach, well, there are no salvage yards left with 80-86 Ford trucks. At least not around here. I checked the usual sources (Dennis Carpenter, Jeffs Bronco Grvyd, NPD, LMC Truck) nothing. Perhaps EBay or similar. I don't have high expectations.

Finding parts for these old trucks is not as easy as getting parts for a 69 Camaro or Chevelle, etc.

First off, the printed circuits on the instrument cluster's is not only a problem on the trucks, but was a major problem on the 70's midsize Ford car platform, actually not just limited to Ford, but all of them really. When modifying our instrument cluster, we did have to buy one from ebay to get the circuit board, ours was totally cracked and coming apart. I have to find out from Nick, or someone on here may correct me, but i do believe there is something different on the 80 and 81 cluster, it may go up to 82, i will find out today and let you know. If you want, drop me an email if you read this this morning and i can let you know asap.

We are considering going into instrument cluster restoration along with the radio restorations and modifications we are already in process of working on.

Now to your radio. I have a thread on here about Factory radio restoration and modifications you may want to read through. If only having the radio working, which your cassette deck can be fixed as well. Nothing is going to come close to what your radio can pull in, nothing in the aftermarket can touch it. They may sound a bit better, but will not pull in with the clarity the old Ford radio's do. We will be happy to look at it and give you an estimate on what it would take to either repair it, or restore it. You can send it and we will examine it and give you a quote. If you decide you dont want to do the work, all you do is pay return postage. Let me know if we can help you out.

First off, the printed circuits on the instrument cluster's is not only a problem on the trucks, but was a major problem on the 70's midsize Ford car platform, actually not just limited to Ford, but all of them really. When modifying our instrument cluster, we did have to buy one from ebay to get the circuit board, ours was totally cracked and coming apart. I have to find out from Nick, or someone on here may correct me, but i do believe there is something different on the 80 and 81 cluster, it may go up to 82, i will find out today and let you know. If you want, drop me an email if you read this this morning and i can let you know asap.

We are considering going into instrument cluster restoration along with the radio restorations and modifications we are already in process of working on.

Now to your radio. I have a thread on here about Factory radio restoration and modifications you may want to read through. If only having the radio working, which your cassette deck can be fixed as well. Nothing is going to come close to what your radio can pull in, nothing in the aftermarket can touch it. They may sound a bit better, but will not pull in with the clarity the old Ford radio's do. We will be happy to look at it and give you an estimate on what it would take to either repair it, or restore it. You can send it and we will examine it and give you a quote. If you decide you dont want to do the work, all you do is pay return postage. Let me know if we can help you out.

How about a link?

I thought the change involved a color change, red and blue Mylar perhaps?

How about a link?

I thought the change involved a color change, red and blue Mylar perhaps?

1980 - green, with or without tach

1981+ - red, with or without tach

Those are the four I am aware of but not sure how many engineering number variations there may be.

I don't have any without gauges so maybe they have a different one also?

LM has the printed circuit, six different part numbers depending on application, they're all $85. They also have white face overlays for an instrument cluster if you're interested. LM also carries a complete instrument cluster that has a tach, all the hook up parts and sensors for full 6-gage telemetry, but it's pricy - $750.