Bullnose Forums

How is everybody, What are your truck plans for the new year

On the Bronco:

• rebuild the carb

• replace power steering pump (Saginaw???)

• build and install driver's side rocker to match the passenger's side I did last year

• 'wheel it! I didn't get enough trip time in it this past year. Hopefully we can fit in at least one, maybe two or three bigger trips this year (my company wants me to burn up some of my saved vacation time...)

• getting into pipe dream territory here rather than plans, but I'd like to find a high pinion front axle, and maybe next winter install that

On the pickup:

• start trying to replace it :nabble_smiley_unhappy:, I'm getting too much rust, so I'm thinking I should start looking for another '90s crew cab 4WD

• otherwise, as little as possible to keep it going reliably

On the motorhome:

• Use it! We made a few trips in it this past year, but hopefully we can do more this year. Going along with 'wheeling the Bronco more!

I am going to get the haters going here :nabble_smiley_evil:

I don't really have any plans other than hope to hit some shows if I have the time and this virus thing goes away. I did most of what needed doing over the 4 years I rebuilt the truck before getting it back on the road. Being I did the Advance Adaptor over drive and installed the carpet at the same time that is not needed now so not much left to do.

Being it is getting cold the LP season is picking up so been working Saturdays and once the snow / ice hits and the HOS (hours of service) are lifted it will be work till you drop till the HOS ends, and that could be till spring so not much time for truck work.

I have a carb kit so I can adjust the high speed rod to lean it out some, mid 14 MPG is not cutting it.

I also would like to either re-ream the kingpin bushings to see if that will help the "darting" the truck has because the bushings could be to tight.

Or get newer beams with ball joints and not deal with the kingpins but I don't know if the new calipers will fit the ball joint spindles and hate to have to get new ones again.

Maybe pick up some sway bars, I hear that also helps with the "darting" but it is not something like the beams above that needs to be done as the truck does drive good other wise.

Maybe look deeper into why the truck is rust proofing its self with oil leaks. I replaced the oil pan, side cover & valve cover gaskets as part of the rebuild. It does not look like front or rear main seals but maybe the timing cover gasket but not sure?

So in short, things "I might" do but most likely not other than the carb, do LOL

Dave ----

ps a front plate was not going to break it up enough for me :nabble_smiley_wink:

20200410_135455.jpg.5cafedfea9b8313927700041fb4e9480.jpg

So I had to make a custom bumper

20191103_171301.jpg.f17e95ddabe10ec0306d228ff7eb7413.jpg

Wow none with the lights & plate, going to have to fix that some day LOL

I am going to get the haters going here :nabble_smiley_evil:

I don't really have any plans other than hope to hit some shows if I have the time and this virus thing goes away. I did most of what needed doing over the 4 years I rebuilt the truck before getting it back on the road. Being I did the Advance Adaptor over drive and installed the carpet at the same time that is not needed now so not much left to do.

Being it is getting cold the LP season is picking up so been working Saturdays and once the snow / ice hits and the HOS (hours of service) are lifted it will be work till you drop till the HOS ends, and that could be till spring so not much time for truck work.

I have a carb kit so I can adjust the high speed rod to lean it out some, mid 14 MPG is not cutting it.

I also would like to either re-ream the kingpin bushings to see if that will help the "darting" the truck has because the bushings could be to tight.

Or get newer beams with ball joints and not deal with the kingpins but I don't know if the new calipers will fit the ball joint spindles and hate to have to get new ones again.

Maybe pick up some sway bars, I hear that also helps with the "darting" but it is not something like the beams above that needs to be done as the truck does drive good other wise.

Maybe look deeper into why the truck is rust proofing its self with oil leaks. I replaced the oil pan, side cover & valve cover gaskets as part of the rebuild. It does not look like front or rear main seals but maybe the timing cover gasket but not sure?

So in short, things "I might" do but most likely not other than the carb, do LOL

Dave ----

ps a front plate was not going to break it up enough for me :nabble_smiley_wink:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n81252/20200410_135455.jpg

So I had to make a custom bumper

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n81252/20191103_171301.jpg

Wow none with the lights & plate, going to have to fix that some day LOL

I got a vinyl window decal to puton mine its a gold wrench with gold letters saying "Built Not Bought"

But not sure how it would look next to the Confederate Bocephus logo decal that will be on my back window or the white vinyl lettering decal that says BF Goodrich since I have KO2 All Terrain tires.

This next year, I hope to go through and restore the interior of the truck. I’ve got some holes in the floor that need fixed, air conditioning to get functioning, new carpet and sound deadening, behind the seat storage, get a new seat, get the radio functioning again, fix some leaks, and just a good deep clean in all the nooks and crannies. It’s a lot but thankfully I have most of what I need, just gotta find the time.

And of course fixing anything that breaks in the meantime

By the way, George and Nick, I like y’all’s truck! It looks good!

Thank you Jacob. it does get alot of looks and of course alot of " do you want to sell it" I hate when people do that, sometimes i want to just ask, yea, how much you willing to give. I get that with the ranchero too.

I get that too. Although, your truck is much nicer looking than mine. I get the “how much you want for it” or “you wanna trade xyz”. I don’t give anyone a price because one day someone will surprise me and say yes. It is kinda annoying sometimes, if I wanted to sell it I’d have a sign on it. The truck has too many memories for me to sell it. And it belonged to a family friend before me and they have a lot of memories with it too. I was the one that got the truck because they knew I’d take care of it so I like to respect that by holding onto it and restoring it....... Plus I like it a lot:nabble_smiley_evil:

For the '84 F150:

-Get more of the interior issues fixed. Arm rests, Door Panels, window run channels/felt, and weatherstripping are all on my Christmas list... what I don't get there, hopefully my wife will let me buy anyway. Eventually (not likely next year) the headliner and dash need TLC... and my horn pad is falling apart. But they're lower on the list. Last would be floor and seat, but I doubt I'll jack with that next year.

-Fix the rotted out exhaust past the cats.

-Get the rest of the caked sand/rust mix out of the bed and get a bedliner applied.

-Fix the leaky lifter cover gasket and transmission pan gasket (both were replaced this year, and have been a failure!

-See about finding a way to make my fuel gauge more linear. Right now, the sending unit intalled (spectra OE) drops from full pretty quick, but then slows down once I get to 1/4 tank or so

For the '95 Ranger (4.0L RWD, see the 2020 contest entry):

-Electric cooling fan conversion. Already have the fan (OE Taurus fan I got for $2.50 at a goodwill a few years back). Likely I'll have it KO'd next week if work and weather permit... but if not, it could go into next year. Mainly looking for an MPG improvement; I've had the fan, and the stock clutch fan's cracks are getting worse, no better time considering I upgraded the alternator (95A to 130A, both 3G) earlier in the year.

-Get to the bottom of a warm restart only vacuum leak causing a rough idle until the O2 warms up (and my fuel trim goes off into space!). Already narrowed it down to an intake manifold gasket issue; I have plenum/fuel rail gaskets to try out in the mail (already did the spaghetti gaskets on the plastic upper intake) I'd rather not have to pull the lower intake as that's not going to be an easy task (and if I do, there will probably be some valvetrain R&R done while I'm in there). This long-term issue is annoying and seems to be getting worse in recent weeks.

-Reseal/weatherstrip the camper shell. Unlike the ranger before, this one seems to always be seeping water in the rain.

-Find a better source for 194 size LED bulbs, and replace them all, again. Another long-running issue (dating back to the ranger before it)... seems that no ebay LED bulbs are both adequately bright and not liable to burn/flicker in short order.

-Find/refurbish a set of good quality headlight modules, and modify them to accept HID projector housings. Right now I have HIDs in stock (yellowed, needs refurbished) housings, which is better than stock, but not particularly good.

-Replace/repair the broken driver's seat. The internal portion of the recline lever busted off (plastic, came from a 2000 ranger). Not sure epoxy would hold; from what I've seen at JY's the part is such a PITA to access that I'm better off swapping the base from another seat (or swapping the whole seat). At least it busted in my usual position.

I am with you on the cold weather here in Louisiana. Live just out of Baton Rouge. Love this cold weather. Need to finish up the 9 inch diff install. Plans are to pull the 5.0 and install 351W roller motor.

Where in LA are you, i'm right dead between baton rouge and new orleans

Hmmm... I worked in Baton Rouge and lived in Satsuma. Laissez les bons temps rouler! :nabble_anim_handshake: