Bullnose Forums

3G alternator swap - v belt question

doni10

.... I can free up one relay on the box I currently have by merging my low and high beam relays into one relay by using the center pin for low beam and have the relay triggered by the high beam. ....

If I understand what you are saying correctly, that would still put all of the low beam's current through the headlight switch, just like before.

The way I was thinking was using the center pin but thinking about it now it wouldnt work as doing it the way I thought of would mean the low beam would be on all the time unless I use another relay to break the power to the single relay which means I still end up with one relay for low beam and one for high beam.

So I am still in the same point and would need a 8+ relay box to allow me room for expansion for more auxiliary lighting or if I decide to use a key hot for the sniper that is hot in crank as well as a trigger for a relay to supply straight battery voltage to the sniper at least this way the hand unit would actually show battery voltage and not battery voltage through the ignition switch.

That's basically what I've come to - many times. I'm not saying it can't be done, but like Edison I've found lots of different ways that won't work to use only one relay. All I need to do is find one way that works, and I was hoping you'd found it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I DO have a dual Hella relay where you can cascade the outputs, but it doesn't save much space over two.

:nabble_smiley_tongue:

The connections aren't waterproof but these relays are potted https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Dual-70-Amp-Relay-Module,404374.html?sku=91003049&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=CjwKCAiAq8f-BRBtEiwAGr3DgZoW3to6ulaU_SDyQwUnK_Kj0VDzU5n_z-Mr49FUuWQYIwYDJHzu6RoChr8QAvD_BwE. But like Jim pointed out, neither are the factory electrical components on our trucks anyways. Neat high amp relays though and they have single relays like that too.

That's basically what I've come to - many times. I'm not saying it can't be done, but like Edison I've found lots of different ways that won't work to use only one relay. All I need to do is find one way that works, and I was hoping you'd found it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

There has to be a way cause OE systems use one relay for high/low beam operation. But in the end I am back to square one myself on a fuse/relay box trying to find something that is better.

While I understand getting wet wont be that big of a problem, but for me I am concerned about the sniper wiring which I hear numerous claims of shorting out when the wiring gets wet and I cant verify how true that is but rather take a cautious approach.

If I go with the one box I posted above that I found with the 10 relays I probably would be ok for it. Just not too crazy on the perimeter mounting so might just build my own with a project box or make my own box at least doing that I can drill a hole in the middle to attach it to my plastic fender through an existing hole.

This thing.

Since it only has one 30 I guess it's only "one" relay???

Well, I guess it is one relay since it only has one feed. But two separate coils. I think I'd call it a 2-in-1.

Yes, it takes up essentially the same space as two, but simplifies wiring.

I've never seen one of those.