Bullnose Forums

Throttle sticking in Bronco

Gsmblue

This week I noticed that sometimes when I pulled up somewhere with a warm engine the revs were sitting high, around 1krpm as opposed to the normal 6-700rpm. Pulling the pedal up with my foot did not drop the revs. The throttle is a cable going to a Edelbrock 1406.

Today I started the Bronco, turn key, pump throttle a couple of times and the revs just shot up and I had to kill the engine.

Tried again and it would stick randomly. As it was misbehaving I did not drive it.

Any suggested on where to start looking for issues? I was thinking of popping the cable off the carb and seeing if the cable was sticking and then looking for binding in the linkages on the carb. Does that sound reasonable?

Look for a kinked cable or something binding. Have you done any mechanical work in the area of the cable lately? Have you installed a different air cleaner or done any choke adjusting?

I'm having a similar problem with Big Blue, so I don't have answers. The idle just doesn't come back down all the way unless you blip it quickly, then it will. But the high idle isn't high enough to be a problem, just annoying.

I'm having a similar problem with Big Blue, so I don't have answers. The idle just doesn't come back down all the way unless you blip it quickly, then it will. But the high idle isn't high enough to be a problem, just annoying.

I pulled the cable at the carb and it was running smooth, springing around nicely. I sprayed some liquid wrench (their anti wear/lubricant formula) in the ends of the cable anyway and worked it in. It definitely made a difference. Albeit a small one.

Then I started the engine with the cable attached, disconnected the cable and stated to rev the engine from the linkage at the carb. It was stiff and would not rebound all the way back to idle.

The exterior of the carb is clean and I have not touched that area for over a month. So I sprayed the linkages with the same spray and worked the mechanism for a bit and it loosened up nicely.

So I put it back together and she seems fine now...

I pulled the cable at the carb and it was running smooth, springing around nicely. I sprayed some liquid wrench (their anti wear/lubricant formula) in the ends of the cable anyway and worked it in. It definitely made a difference. Albeit a small one.

Then I started the engine with the cable attached, disconnected the cable and stated to rev the engine from the linkage at the carb. It was stiff and would not rebound all the way back to idle.

The exterior of the carb is clean and I have not touched that area for over a month. So I sprayed the linkages with the same spray and worked the mechanism for a bit and it loosened up nicely.

So I put it back together and she seems fine now...

Interesting! I've not tried lubricating the linkage nor the cable. May try that. Thanks.

Nothing to lose!

In hindsight I would have sprayed some carb cleaner on the linkages first and work that in, let it sit for a bit and then lubricate.

This is what I used as it had it to hand:

https://www.liquidwrench.com/product/lubricating-oil/

I had a similar problem with my AVS last year, but it was the choke not engaging (the coil spring was not strong enough)

I worked the action and then used dry Teflon spray.

I use the same thing on the tables and slides of my woodworking shop tools.

I had a similar problem with my AVS last year, but it was the choke not engaging (the coil spring was not strong enough)

I worked the action and then used dry Teflon spray.

I use the same thing on the tables and slides of my woodworking shop tools.

After a couple of days of driving I can report everything is working well.