Bullnose Forum

Hello from Iowa - 1980 F150 5.0

farmerisland

It sounds like the engine is lean and you are overcoming that with the accelerator pump. (And, by the way, it does seem like you may have a blown accelerator pump with the gas leaking.) And a lean condition could be a vacuum leak. But, it could also be due to a stuck open EGR valve, which is supposed to be closed at idle. So if it was stuck open it would allow some exhaust gas in all the time and that makes for poor running.

Having replaced the EGR valve you may see an immediate improvement, or at least change, in the way it runs. Lets hope it fixes that problem.

Hello everyone again. Thank you for all the advice and answers thus far! This is such a great resource for anyone, especially someone like me, figuring everything out for the first time. Tearing this ol gal apart is pretty fun though, learning new on each issue.

I actually can't give an update on the carb and EGR and how she runs at all yet, because while I have everything off and exposed, I'm cleaning and replacing everything else as needed. The engine is pretty oily and first thing I noticed was that it needed valve cover gaskets. I had ordered those while asking you about the EGR earlier. But one of my biggest oil leaks is coming from the frontside. Again, being new to all of this, I did a bunch of searching on this forum and others, finding two probable causes. Either the distributor O ring leaking (oil is pooled underneath there), or it's leaking from the front center intake manifold gasket..... Or perhaps both!

An update on my wondering is today I pulled off all the necessary stuff in the way, got the hold down bolt out, labeled everything, and pulled out my very first distributor. The O ring is definitely worn and flattish on side so it's probably leaking there. But my question I'll throw your way is... Does this picture look like enough oil leaking (and where its visible/spattered) to where it's most likely (also) the manifold gasket? I'm a newbie at all this and know ripping that open next will be a more difficult task than just changing this O ring and cleaning everything up....

However, I'm learning with each issue and task and I'm up for it. I already bought the gasket kit in advance (can return) anyway. Just curious if you see anything obvious.. There is also some coolant pooled down there, but that's more to the passenger side a little ways, basically right under the thermostat housing. I tightened the hose coming off upper radiator to housing, but it's wet on bottomside of there, so I think I'll change that housing gasket while I'm at it too. It might just be leaking there and not the manifold?

Thoughts on that oil/etc guys? My plan is to replace all these gaskets, possibly including both manifold and valve cover ones,, fix leaks as visible, clean up engine block and area really good, then finally put new carb with gaskets and new EGR all on. Honestly, the vacuum lines themselves are the thing that looks like I won't have to replace at all. I had a leaky brake master cylinder too, so that got replaced as well already.

Thank you! IMG_20210110_153407.jpg.6a760b5887c713c655172428f62930ad.jpg

Hello everyone again. Thank you for all the advice and answers thus far! This is such a great resource for anyone, especially someone like me, figuring everything out for the first time. Tearing this ol gal apart is pretty fun though, learning new on each issue.

I actually can't give an update on the carb and EGR and how she runs at all yet, because while I have everything off and exposed, I'm cleaning and replacing everything else as needed. The engine is pretty oily and first thing I noticed was that it needed valve cover gaskets. I had ordered those while asking you about the EGR earlier. But one of my biggest oil leaks is coming from the frontside. Again, being new to all of this, I did a bunch of searching on this forum and others, finding two probable causes. Either the distributor O ring leaking (oil is pooled underneath there), or it's leaking from the front center intake manifold gasket..... Or perhaps both!

An update on my wondering is today I pulled off all the necessary stuff in the way, got the hold down bolt out, labeled everything, and pulled out my very first distributor. The O ring is definitely worn and flattish on side so it's probably leaking there. But my question I'll throw your way is... Does this picture look like enough oil leaking (and where its visible/spattered) to where it's most likely (also) the manifold gasket? I'm a newbie at all this and know ripping that open next will be a more difficult task than just changing this O ring and cleaning everything up....

However, I'm learning with each issue and task and I'm up for it. I already bought the gasket kit in advance (can return) anyway. Just curious if you see anything obvious.. There is also some coolant pooled down there, but that's more to the passenger side a little ways, basically right under the thermostat housing. I tightened the hose coming off upper radiator to housing, but it's wet on bottomside of there, so I think I'll change that housing gasket while I'm at it too. It might just be leaking there and not the manifold?

Thoughts on that oil/etc guys? My plan is to replace all these gaskets, possibly including both manifold and valve cover ones,, fix leaks as visible, clean up engine block and area really good, then finally put new carb with gaskets and new EGR all on. Honestly, the vacuum lines themselves are the thing that looks like I won't have to replace at all. I had a leaky brake master cylinder too, so that got replaced as well already.

Thank you!

When I'm looking for an oil leak I usually clean everything up with brake or carb cleaner so it's dry, and then run the engine while looking for it weeping.

Manifold front and rear seals usually leak a lot when they go.

I never use the rubber S seals they give you and always apply a high bead of RTV. (The Right Stuff, is the right stuff)

Glad to hear you're enjoying learning on this truck, Aaron. :nabble_smiley_good:

When I'm looking for an oil leak I usually clean everything up with brake or carb cleaner so it's dry, and then run the engine while looking for it weeping.

Manifold front and rear seals usually leak a lot when they go.

I never use the rubber S seals they give you and always apply a high bead of RTV. (The Right Stuff, is the right stuff)

Glad to hear you're enjoying learning on this truck, Aaron. :nabble_smiley_good:

Aaron - Looking at the pic, I'm not sure it is the front "china wall" seal on the manifold. As Jim said, they usually leak a lot.

In the pic it looks like the leak is from the driver's side near the sender I circled, which is probably the temp sender. I'd do exactly as Jim said and clean that area thoroughly. But I'd go one step farther and stick paper towels in there in a way that they'll stay and tell you where the oil is coming from.

As for the distributor's o-ring, it might be it so go ahead and replace it. But I see a path of oil from above there, so doubt it is that o-ring.

Aarons_Oil_Leak.jpg.514444b9e06cbee59a1253f30e273272.jpg