Bullnose Forums

Newer bench seat

Not looking like we have a good personal experience answer yet on the 98+ so measurements may be it.

Gary has a 2015 SuperCrew, I have a 2015 SuperCab, and no doubt others on here have other years.

Someone (Scatch?) mentioned awhile back a site that now sold seats and a universal base. Can't recall if that was LMC nor do I recall if that was bucket only. Even if a bench I doubt it had a center 3 point. I just wonder if that base could be easily modified vs making your own.

I don’t mind making my own. I just want to make sure the newer stuff will fit. My buddy f150 has the 40 20 40 bench I want and he measured it and it was 58” wide

I meant to ask if we still need seat measurements? And, if we do, exactly which measurements?

And, before answering, have you seen the page at Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability?

My opinion is that people should NOT drill holes in the floor pan and space up with washers to install different seats. From what I've seen the bolt holes in our trucks are reinforced, although others have said otherwise. And if you drill and shim at the very least you should reinforce the floor at the bolt holes.

I've said this before, but there have been many cases in other vehicles of the floor pan breaking around the bolt holes if people drill holes and don't reinforce. I've not heard of that on the Bullnose trucks, but I believe that will eventually be the case. So I highly recommend you do not do that.

Broncos and Aerostars were recalled from the factory for cracks in the seat and seat belt mounting areas on the floor. My own personal F350 has two loose threaded pieces that are no longer welded to the floor. From the factory they're only spot welded on four corners, so they are FAR from structurally safe in my opinion since two of mine both broke loose. I will be bracing that area in my own truck for my own peace of mind because I do not trust Ford's method of attaching the thread pieces to the floor.

I meant to ask if we still need seat measurements? And, if we do, exactly which measurements?

And, before answering, have you seen the page at Documentation/Interior/Seat Interchangeability?

My opinion is that people should NOT drill holes in the floor pan and space up with washers to install different seats. From what I've seen the bolt holes in our trucks are reinforced, although others have said otherwise. And if you drill and shim at the very least you should reinforce the floor at the bolt holes.

I've said this before, but there have been many cases in other vehicles of the floor pan breaking around the bolt holes if people drill holes and don't reinforce. I've not heard of that on the Bullnose trucks, but I believe that will eventually be the case. So I highly recommend you do not do that.

The bolt holes in these cabs go through the longitudinal floor stiffening Z-ribs.

If I were moving the seat mounts sideways I would want to install secondary ribs in the same manner.

Broncos and Aerostars were recalled from the factory for cracks in the seat and seat belt mounting areas on the floor. My own personal F350 has two loose threaded pieces that are no longer welded to the floor. From the factory they're only spot welded on four corners, so they are FAR from structurally safe in my opinion since two of mine both broke loose. I will be bracing that area in my own truck for my own peace of mind because I do not trust Ford's method of attaching the thread pieces to the floor.

I hadn't thought about reinforcing that area and look forward to seeing how you do it. Are you thinking about cutting it out of another truck to layer it? If Joe has to add some anchors in the middle of the cab, those will need reinforced so may spark some ideas.

I've had a couple go free along with one of the pedal nuts. After looking at my broke ones I figured the welds aren't really there for structural integrity (if so, I agree they are definitely lacking :nabble_smiley_happy:) but they do make it nice so it's a one man job :nabble_smiley_good:

I hadn't thought about reinforcing that area and look forward to seeing how you do it. Are you thinking about cutting it out of another truck to layer it? If Joe has to add some anchors in the middle of the cab, those will need reinforced so may spark some ideas.

I've had a couple go free along with one of the pedal nuts. After looking at my broke ones I figured the welds aren't really there for structural integrity (if so, I agree they are definitely lacking :nabble_smiley_happy:) but they do make it nice so it's a one man job :nabble_smiley_good:

The nuts are just tacked on for convenience.

I have trouble with the one for the dashboard stay.

The nuts are just tacked on for convenience.

I have trouble with the one for the dashboard stay.

Agreed - and it's a convenience you really miss when they are no longer tacked. I tacked the pedal/firewall one back before painting but haven't done anything to the seat one. If I take the seat out again that may change...

I just remembered that I've seen some Supercab reinforcement plates on eBay before (likely found by David :nabble_smiley_beam:) that I figure now were solving the issue Shaun's referring to.

Not looking like we have a good personal experience answer yet on the 98+ so measurements may be it.

Gary has a 2015 SuperCrew, I have a 2015 SuperCab, and no doubt others on here have other years.

Someone (Scatch?) mentioned awhile back a site that now sold seats and a universal base. Can't recall if that was LMC nor do I recall if that was bucket only. Even if a bench I doubt it had a center 3 point. I just wonder if that base could be easily modified vs making your own.

Was Shaun actually - http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-bench-seat-and-door-panel-options-from-LMC-tp49525.html

Looks like there is a buddy seat option but without a seatbelt, doesn't gain you anything

Once I find out if the newer bench will fit I’ll figure out the rest. But making a bracket under the floor is not big deal.

I think the bigger "issue" may be the center seat belt anchor point for the shoulder portion. In a collision there is going to be a lot of force there, and the center of the cab roof wasn't designed for such loads.

If the reel is anchored to the seat itself, as long as you have more than plain floorpan for seat attachment, you're probably good. Keep in mind that these trucks (like most ford trucks until the mid-late 90's) have smaller stock seat bolts and somewhat weaker attachments since the belt was a separate floor connection belts aren't anchored through the seat base like on newer seats. Hence why when I put 2000's seats in my 1995 Ranger, I kept the old belts and removed the seat-mounted receptacles (which weren't compatible with my stock belts anyway). If possible, you'll probably want to do the same for the outer seats (or be prepared to do some serious bracing to the seat mount points).

I think the bigger "issue" may be the center seat belt anchor point for the shoulder portion. In a collision there is going to be a lot of force there, and the center of the cab roof wasn't designed for such loads.

If the reel is anchored to the seat itself, as long as you have more than plain floorpan for seat attachment, you're probably good. Keep in mind that these trucks (like most ford trucks until the mid-late 90's) have smaller stock seat bolts and somewhat weaker attachments since the belt was a separate floor connection belts aren't anchored through the seat base like on newer seats. Hence why when I put 2000's seats in my 1995 Ranger, I kept the old belts and removed the seat-mounted receptacles (which weren't compatible with my stock belts anyway). If possible, you'll probably want to do the same for the outer seats (or be prepared to do some serious bracing to the seat mount points).

With the year seat I want to go with the center seat belt is connected to the upper part of the seat. U can see it in the pic. That’s why I wanted to go with that style seating. Safer for my kids.