Bullnose Forums

change out automatic trans to manual

Brown

Welcome! Sorry I'm late to the party, but glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a zip.

On the rebuild procedures, we have the ones from the factory shop manual at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/C6.

Welcome! :nabble_anim_handshake:

No, you won't need to change differentials, but you will need to drill a hole in the firewall and change the pedal support.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 1983 cabs all had the imprint of where the clutch master cylinder goes, even if the truck originally came with an auto trans. Not that it means much, but it sure makes locating the hole easy. I have to install a clutch master in my 1980, and there's no markings for it unfortunately.

No, you won't need to change differentials, but you will need to drill a hole in the firewall and change the pedal support.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 1983 cabs all had the imprint of where the clutch master cylinder goes, even if the truck originally came with an auto trans. Not that it means much, but it sure makes locating the hole easy. I have to install a clutch master in my 1980, and there's no markings for it unfortunately.

Indeed. The 460 came back in 1983 with a manual option (replacing the 400)

It and the diesel got hydraulic clutches. With all future production having firewalls with that indentation.

I don't believe the Windsor pattern trucks (including 300) got a hydraulic clutch until the '84 model year.

But I may be wrong on that.

The firewalls were stamped for the master cylinder though.

I don't believe the Windsor pattern trucks (including 300) got a hydraulic clutch until the '84 model year.

But I may be wrong on that.

Ya, my 1984 w/302 had factory hydraulic clutch.

Does anyone have an '83?

Pretty sure Ford was determined to use up all those Z-bars somewhere.

Does anyone have an '83?

Pretty sure Ford was determined to use up all those Z-bars somewhere.

Ya, I think that the '83 cabs had the hole for the mechanical linkage and were stamped for the hydraulic clutch master.

Yes, the only 83's that got the hydraulic clutch linkage were those with 460's and the IDI's. The rest of the engines got hydraulic in '84.

Welcome! Sorry I'm late to the party, but glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a zip.

On the rebuild procedures, we have the ones from the factory shop manual at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/C6.

Home is 66783

Thanks Gary for the directions to the shop manual