Bullnose Forums

change out automatic trans to manual

Brown

I have owned a 1983 F250 4wd 6.9 diesel with automatic transmission since 1992, it started out its life with me as a daily driver and farm truck (towing livestock trailer and pulling equipment trailer). I do not overload my trucks and abuse them and I do give them regular maintenance and repair. In 2009 (with 300,00 miles) the engine was getting tired and the transmission started to slip occasionally when loaded. I quit pulling trailers with it and added a feed box on the flat bed and started to use it for a feed truck for the cattle operation. Last week (Nov.2020) the transmission started to slip when traveling down the road above 50 mph, I have access (free, no charge) to a 1983 F250 4wd 6.9 diesel with a manual transmission, if I change my truck to manual transmission is it going to be necessary to change the differentials from the manual trans. truck to my truck? A rebuilt auto. trans. is $2,000. to $4,000. and I am retired and money is tight but time is plentiful. I love this old truck and I am having problems letting it go to the crusher.

Welcome to the forum Nate*! :nabble_waving_orig:

No, you won't need to change differentials, but you will need to drill a hole in the firewall and change the pedal support.

I might suggest you swap out the steering column, since it has to come out for the pedals anyhow.

You also will have to swap over the flywheel and starter... perhaps the transmission mount when going from C6 to T-19.

And the neutral safety switch harness for the clutch safety starter interlock.

You are really in a good situation, having a complete donor. :nabble_smiley_good:

Welcome!

As Jim stated, the swap is very doable and sounds like you've got all you need.

Just to entertain sticking with the auto - not sure where you are located but that sounds high for a drop off rebuild. Mine was something like 750 and most of that was labor. If you feel like rebuilding it yourself, out of pocket wouldn't be too bad.

Welcome!

As Jim stated, the swap is very doable and sounds like you've got all you need.

Just to entertain sticking with the auto - not sure where you are located but that sounds high for a drop off rebuild. Mine was something like 750 and most of that was labor. If you feel like rebuilding it yourself, out of pocket wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the reply, I have been successful in rebuilt and repair of various units but have been a bit reluctant to try automatic transmissions, it may be time to give one a try, do you have a suggestion for a instruction manual or web site and a parts supplier?

Thanks for the reply, I have been successful in rebuilt and repair of various units but have been a bit reluctant to try automatic transmissions, it may be time to give one a try, do you have a suggestion for a instruction manual or web site and a parts supplier?

I've never done one myself but would really like to. Timing didn't work out for me on this build but next time I hope it does.

Others will have better personal experience and suggestions but at one time I had some ATSG manuals saved on eBay. Seemed like that manual is well received.

I didn't get far enough to settle on a rebuild kit but I recall looking at the TCI offerings (I use their pan).

Sorry - I don't have much advice to offer on the rebuilding itself but just wanted to mention the diy route as a possibility since time isn't an issue.

Either route taken, I am looking forward to your project :nabble_smiley_good:

I've never done one myself but would really like to. Timing didn't work out for me on this build but next time I hope it does.

Others will have better personal experience and suggestions but at one time I had some ATSG manuals saved on eBay. Seemed like that manual is well received.

I didn't get far enough to settle on a rebuild kit but I recall looking at the TCI offerings (I use their pan).

Sorry - I don't have much advice to offer on the rebuilding itself but just wanted to mention the diy route as a possibility since time isn't an issue.

Welcome!

Thanks Scott

Welcome! Sorry I'm late to the party, but glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a zip.

On the rebuild procedures, we have the ones from the factory shop manual at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/C6.