Bullnose Forums

When Did The Coat Hook Move?

Gary Lewis

That's really surprising. Does the catalog show different trim pieces?

86 - passenger side

Good question, Scott. Looks like it changed in '83. But, did it go back in '87? If not, why is the E7 different and why is it used on the 80 - 82 trucks and not the E3? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

Back_Window_Moulding.thumb.jpg.f06149cbc666398289b76f7bba6c7300.jpg

Good question, Scott. Looks like it changed in '83. But, did it go back in '87? If not, why is the E7 different and why is it used on the 80 - 82 trucks and not the E3? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Mine is a '81 F150 Custom so doesn't have that trim piece but the coat hook is on the driver side in my truck.

Mine is a '81 F150 Custom so doesn't have that trim piece but the coat hook is on the driver side in my truck.

My 1980 had the coat hook on the driver's side, as did the 1982 I pulled my interior from.

On my 1990 the coat hook is still on the passenger side.

The reason why 1987 has a different part number is because all of the headliner trim is held on using screws starting in 1987. So the newer panels have screw holes in them. The bronze/gold/brass clips used to hold everything up on the bullnose trucks was discontinued and I'm assuming the MPC will show that.

I believe the reason behind the 1987 panels listing as a replacement is because the front and rear trim panels are still the same from 1980-1996, the 87+ versions just have holes drilled in them for the screws used to mount them. You can still insert the bullnose clips into them. In fact, my 1990 cab still has the holes for the bronze clips up front above the windshield.

My 1980 had the coat hook on the driver's side, as did the 1982 I pulled my interior from.

On my 1990 the coat hook is still on the passenger side.

The reason why 1987 has a different part number is because all of the headliner trim is held on using screws starting in 1987. So the newer panels have screw holes in them. The bronze/gold/brass clips used to hold everything up on the bullnose trucks was discontinued and I'm assuming the MPC will show that.

I believe the reason behind the 1987 panels listing as a replacement is because the front and rear trim panels are still the same from 1980-1996, the 87+ versions just have holes drilled in them for the screws used to mount them. You can still insert the bullnose clips into them. In fact, my 1990 cab still has the holes for the bronze clips up front above the windshield.

Frank - Thanks.

Shaun - That makes sense. And, btw, screws are HIGHLY preferable to those !@#$%^&* clips! That trim above the rear window took an hour to get on today. What a pain! But if there'd been screw holes I'd just have inserted one of the awls I was using to align things in one hole, the other in another, and run a screw in the others. Done and dusted!

Frank - Thanks.

Shaun - That makes sense. And, btw, screws are HIGHLY preferable to those !@#$%^&* clips! That trim above the rear window took an hour to get on today. What a pain! But if there'd been screw holes I'd just have inserted one of the awls I was using to align things in one hole, the other in another, and run a screw in the others. Done and dusted!

My only gripe with the screws is that they're self-tapping, and so the holes are placed like garbage on every single 87+ truck I've taken parts from. It seems like they just held the panels up in the right spot and wherever the screw drilled through is where the holes are. :nabble_smiley_angry:

My only gripe with the screws is that they're self-tapping, and so the holes are placed like garbage on every single 87+ truck I've taken parts from. It seems like they just held the panels up in the right spot and wherever the screw drilled through is where the holes are. :nabble_smiley_angry:

Yes, I noticed similar things on Big Blue. For instance the existing coat hook has two screw holes under it - one that looks like it was put there when the cab was made, which still has paint in it, and one below it that was created when they assembled the truck.

And the plastic blocks into which the trim screws go for the B-pillar trim. The chances of lining up with the previous hole are slim and none, especially if the block fell off and you have to replace it, so you'll have multiple holes in the blocks.

Yes, I noticed similar things on Big Blue. For instance the existing coat hook has two screw holes under it - one that looks like it was put there when the cab was made, which still has paint in it, and one below it that was created when they assembled the truck.

And the plastic blocks into which the trim screws go for the B-pillar trim. The chances of lining up with the previous hole are slim and none, especially if the block fell off and you have to replace it, so you'll have multiple holes in the blocks.

I would have to make sure but pretty sure both of my 81's a Custom & Ranger it was on the left side.

Cant say driver or passenger side as the down under people drove on the right side no?

Dave ----