Bullnose Forums

Nutsert Or Rivnut Installation

Gary Lewis

Sometimes you just have to get creative with a torch and grinder to get the wrench to fit.

Not after you just got through painting the truck after 4 years of rebuilding.

Or was that on the wrench :nabble_anim_confused:

Dave ----

Gary and I both have a few heavily modified wrenches.

I forgot he doesn't have an oxy-acetylene setup.

But if he was willing to tack weld a rivnut maybe tacking some inverted tee-nuts in place is not such a big deal?

Gary and I both have a few heavily modified wrenches.

I forgot he doesn't have an oxy-acetylene setup.

But if he was willing to tack weld a rivnut maybe tacking some inverted tee-nuts in place is not such a big deal?

No, I don't. But MAPP gas is hot enough to bend a wrench, so I have a Craftsman 13mm box/open with a right angle near the boxed end. I forget what engine I was working on, but there was no room to get a wrench on the distributor's bolt so I made a wrench to fit.

And I have another Craftsman boxed-end wrench seriously ground down to allow it to get on the header bolts w/o rubbing the exhaust tube on Big Blue.

Plus a Craftsman open end wrench that is much thinner than it was originally and that let it slide into a really narrow spot. Don't remember what that was on, but it was the only way to get into that spot.

Yes, Craftsman wrenches are expendable. :nabble_smiley_wink:

No, I don't. But MAPP gas is hot enough to bend a wrench, so I have a Craftsman 13mm box/open with a right angle near the boxed end. I forget what engine I was working on, but there was no room to get a wrench on the distributor's bolt so I made a wrench to fit.

And I have another Craftsman boxed-end wrench seriously ground down to allow it to get on the header bolts w/o rubbing the exhaust tube on Big Blue.

Plus a Craftsman open end wrench that is much thinner than it was originally and that let it slide into a really narrow spot. Don't remember what that was on, but it was the only way to get into that spot.

I didn't realize that the current "mapp" gas would make the difference.

It only burns at 3730F vs 3600 for propane.

But for something with as little mass as a 1/2" wrench I'm sure you could get there with a turbo tip.

I've got a couple of purpose made distributor wrenches but only ever use the 1/2"

Weird shaped obstruction wrenches and super deep offset are what I've done.

Otherwise it's cut and weld.

And I have a couple with neodymium magnets epoxied on. (So the magnet is covered and doesn't end up stuck deep inside a pocket)

Not expendable. Readily available and suitable for being made to fit.

They are the perfect tool for that job! :nabble_smiley_good:

I did them that way before I bought the correct tool. I would preassemble several using some loctite on the portion of the bolt that went into the nutsert. After it sat up I would put a little grease on the exposed threads so I could hold the bolt head and tighten the nut against the washer to compress the insert. Once it was seated I backed out the bolt, nut and washer.