Bullnose Forums

Nutsert Or Rivnut Installation

Gary Lewis

I'm going to be using using rivnuts to hold the bottom of my behind-the-seat storage unit to the cab, as discussed here. But I don't have any rivnuts so I ordered this assortment.

Then I got to thinking about how to install them and discovered this discussion of what they are and how to install them w/o the special tool at Spyder Industries. I watched the video and was sold. But, I can't figure out how to embed it here, so I did some more surfing and found this video that I can embed. The guy is quite wordy, but he eventually shows how to do it, albeit different than the way Spyder Industries recommends.

Do any of you have other recommendations?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m not a rivnut fan, they’re handy for sure.

Cessna used them on some aircraft and the old 340’s had them on the wing root. They would work loose eventually and if you were lucky you could get some dikes under the screw and put on enough pressure to get the screw out.

We would replace them and do it again the next year or when we had to pull them.

Not trying to discourage you, just a heads up and they may work better in metal, I’ve not used them that I can remember in metal.

I’m not a rivnut fan, they’re handy for sure.

Cessna used them on some aircraft and the old 340’s had them on the wing root. They would work loose eventually and if you were lucky you could get some dikes under the screw and put on enough pressure to get the screw out.

We would replace them and do it again the next year or when we had to pull them.

Not trying to discourage you, just a heads up and they may work better in metal, I’ve not used them that I can remember in metal.

Dane - Thanks. When they spin I'm sure it is a serious problem.

But by "in metal" do you mean "in steel"? Aren't the Cessna's aluminum? Perhaps that was a galvanic problem with a carbon bolt and the aluminum?

As for "in steel", don't our trucks have them in the doors for the mirrors? I tend to remember a problem with one of them, but it was badly corroded and the bolt was seized in the rivnut. As I remember, someone had replaced the stainless factory bolt with a plain steel one. But other than that I've not seen problems. Have you?

For the most part the rivnuts I've been around have worked well. Sure hope these do. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But by "in metal" do you mean "in steel"? Aren't the Cessna's aluminum? Perhaps that was a galvanic problem with a carbon bolt and the aluminum?

As for "in steel", don't our trucks have them in the doors for the mirrors? I tend to remember a problem with one of them, but it was badly corroded and the bolt was seized in the rivnut. As I remember, someone had replaced the stainless factory bolt with a plain steel one. But other than that I've not seen problems. Have you?

For the most part the rivnuts I've been around have worked well. Sure hope these do. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Gary, I have a similar (maybe the same) assortment in metric sizes (FWIW, the mirrors on Darth are attached with M6 X 1.0 screws). I have used mostly the M6 X 1.0 size as it is the closest to the sheet metal screws Chrysler loved on the K-cars. Only issue I found is the bigger the Nutsert, the more power it takes to completely seat it.

One place they will definitely be used is on the doors for the pull straps. Other then grabbing the outside of the door with the window down, it is the only place to pull the doors shut. Originally held by sheet metal screws on the ends, they will come loose and destroy the plastic end trim that covers the screw area.

Gary, I have a similar (maybe the same) assortment in metric sizes (FWIW, the mirrors on Darth are attached with M6 X 1.0 screws). I have used mostly the M6 X 1.0 size as it is the closest to the sheet metal screws Chrysler loved on the K-cars. Only issue I found is the bigger the Nutsert, the more power it takes to completely seat it.

One place they will definitely be used is on the doors for the pull straps. Other then grabbing the outside of the door with the window down, it is the only place to pull the doors shut. Originally held by sheet metal screws on the ends, they will come loose and destroy the plastic end trim that covers the screw area.

Bill - Pull straps/handles is one reason I got an assortment as I hope to put handles on the A-pillar and will want to bury nutserts there.

I thought about going metric, but most of my "stock" of fasteners is SAE so went that way. I think I have some flanged button-head 1/4-20 screws that are long enough to do this job, and I know I have 1/4" fender washers to put under them. So that's the plan, Stan.

How do you "set" your nutserts?

Yes - the door mirror mounts use them. The nos mirrors I bought came with a nut and bolt to set them. I haven't watched the video above yet to see how they do it.

HF sells a rivet gun looking tool to set them. Wasn't HF but this is the method I've used.

Like Dane, I've had mixed results with them spinning. Great when they don't but extremely frustrating when they do.

Update: I was thinking about it and on the handful that spun on me, I recall seeing what looked like loctite which almost guarantees spinning so can't blame the nutsert for that.

Yes - the door mirror mounts use them. The nos mirrors I bought came with a nut and bolt to set them. I haven't watched the video above yet to see how they do it.

HF sells a rivet gun looking tool to set them. Wasn't HF but this is the method I've used.

Like Dane, I've had mixed results with them spinning. Great when they don't but extremely frustrating when they do.

Update: I was thinking about it and on the handful that spun on me, I recall seeing what looked like loctite which almost guarantees spinning so can't blame the nutsert for that.

Yes I meant in steel. Aluminum in the aircraft and as you made me think (ouch), the rivnuts were aluminum also.

Bill - Pull straps/handles is one reason I got an assortment as I hope to put handles on the A-pillar and will want to bury nutserts there.

I thought about going metric, but most of my "stock" of fasteners is SAE so went that way. I think I have some flanged button-head 1/4-20 screws that are long enough to do this job, and I know I have 1/4" fender washers to put under them. So that's the plan, Stan.

How do you "set" your nutserts?

I use them all of the time on over the road trucks. In a lot of cases the cabs are built with them where they are not huck rivited. In some cases the hood latches are held in place with them. Mostly dash boards, floor boards, and intiror panels and the work fine. As has already been stated, they are a pain in the butt when they vibrate loose but they can be dealt with.

I have two sets of them, one set has metal inserts for use in metal and has an air powered tool that looks like a huck rivet gun. The other set is aluminum and can be used in steel or aluminum. Up to 3/8 can be done by hand with what looks like a pop riveter, over that the air gun is needed.

I have never seen them put in with a nut and bolt before, But I could see where it would work in a tight space or in a pinch.

All of my mirror mounts were stripped.

A couple have well nuts and five have nuts welded in flush with the door skin.

I have the big bolt cutter looking 1/4" blind rivet gun.

I bought some nut setter mandrels for that, but dont/wont use them on my truck.

Too many problems when they spin out.

All of my mirror mounts were stripped.

A couple have well nuts and five have nuts welded in flush with the door skin.

I have the big bolt cutter looking 1/4" blind rivet gun.

I bought some nut setter mandrels for that, but dont/wont use them on my truck.

Too many problems when they spin out.

What about applying a bit of panel adhesive around the flange before inserting it?