Bullnose Forums

Do i need a serpentine belt?

Westerj

I'm not Gary, but I don't have a problem running my 130A 3G with a V-belt.

I DO have a Load Response Control regulator..

Jim's in a much better position to answer your question than I am since, as he said, he's running a v belt on a 3G and I'm not. And, I fully agree with his recommendation of an LRC regulator. That's because even with a serpentine (ok, Bill, "polygroove") belt mine still squealed on startup with the "right now" regulator. But with a 2 second regulator it doesn't make any noise because the load is applied smoothly over that 2 second period.

Jim's in a much better position to answer your question than I am since, as he said, he's running a v belt on a 3G and I'm not. And, I fully agree with his recommendation of an LRC regulator. That's because even with a serpentine (ok, Bill, "polygroove") belt mine still squealed on startup with the "right now" regulator. But with a 2 second regulator it doesn't make any noise because the load is applied smoothly over that 2 second period.

Mine would squeal the belt on startup and even after getting it tight enough to not squeal, I still found evidence (rubber dust) that it was slipping. I went to a slightly larger pully, problem solved.

Mine would squeal the belt on startup and even after getting it tight enough to not squeal, I still found evidence (rubber dust) that it was slipping. I went to a slightly larger pully, problem solved.

That certainly couldn't hurt, Bill!

More friction area and reduced ratio in one swoop. :nabble_smiley_good:

Somewhere Gary has a chart with pulley diameters and the alternator rpms you get at a given crank speed.

IIRC, the gas V-8's had one size, diesel another and the 4.9/300 yet another size.

Somewhere Gary has a chart with pulley diameters and the alternator rpms you get at a given crank speed.

IIRC, the gas V-8's had one size, diesel another and the 4.9/300 yet another size.

Documentation/Electrical/Alternators and the Output Vs RPM tab. Scroll down to Pg 4 and following.

The amount of pulley sizes that Ford used was stupid. Luckily we usually just built cores out of cores but when building one we didnt have, there was a lot of pulley measuring.

The amount of pulley sizes that Ford used was stupid. Luckily we usually just built cores out of cores but when building one we didnt have, there was a lot of pulley measuring.

Thanks Guys!! Think ill leave v belt and car alt

In place. Will re use cable.. 5/16" lugs

Seem about right. Ordering cole hersee

Isolator sized for bigger alt.thx, and happy

Thanksgiving!! Now it's time for turkey

Sandwiches!