Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

I like lists! I need to shuffle the above lists a bit and print it out :)

Let's see what I can knock off by the weekend. It is going to be 86F and sunny, would be great to get the top off :)

Suspension is supposed to be done tomorrow night, my friend is going to help. Let's see how rusted it all is. I have sprayed some penetrating stuff in there.

I think I will pull some more trim out tomorrow too- the upper stuff and the headliner so I am prepped for that. May need one more can of paint..

The steering wheel is wonky, so I need to rotate it about 8 degrees clockwise.

With all the trim out I can start hunting down the electrical issues. With the leak on the top left of the windshield, i think I need to start in the foot well there and hunt around with my multimeter...

Should be able to able to get the KC's wired up this week, although they are not essential right now..

Lots and lots to do! I love this stuff :)

We are getting there.

I have not even mentioned the rear diff has some drip marks under it... Those are the bad parts of the onion.

Oh, 118 miles and 16G of fuel! Lots of idling so I am hoping my 7MPG heads towards to 9MPG.. I think she is running rich..

Yeah, that might be a bit rich. Check that the choke is coming off.

As for lists, I have a pretty intensive one for EFI'ing Big Blue. And a reason for that is that there are some things that need to be done after another but before yet another. For instance, the fuel system needs to be done with the tranny, t-case, driveshafts, et al out. So I am thinking through the order of things. It is really like a chess game. :nabble_smiley_wink:

What rear diff do you have? And, where's it leaking? Pinion seal?

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts to be ordered:

Rear bumper (local wreckers)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-dscn8962_b22a1f78ab724c23b26fe0b57fcd15e24ceb3151.jpg

Wheels... I don't like these wheels or tires

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OVkAAOSwwGdZ1ADH/s-l1600.jpg

Gsmblue,

Depending on your time frame, I have a chrome rear bumper which will be brought to the GTG in September @ Skiatook, OK. It can barely be seen in the first photo [link].

Regarding the wheels [see 2nd link], Ford F834 [Jonathan] has a very nice set of factory "buggy wheels", something like the photo, except his are nicer and have the trim rings with 2 red stripes. They are 7.25" wide. Contact him for information. I am sure that if they are still available, he can bring them to Skiatook, also.

Parts to be ordered:

Rear bumper (local wreckers)

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-dscn8962_b22a1f78ab724c23b26fe0b57fcd15e24ceb3151.jpg

Wheels... I don't like these wheels or tires

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OVkAAOSwwGdZ1ADH/s-l1600.jpg

Gsmblue,

Depending on your time frame, I have a chrome rear bumper which will be brought to the GTG in September @ Skiatook, OK. It can barely be seen in the first photo [link].

Regarding the wheels [see 2nd link], Ford F834 [Jonathan] has a very nice set of factory "buggy wheels", something like the photo, except his are nicer and have the trim rings with 2 red stripes. They are 7.25" wide. Contact him for information. I am sure that if they are still available, he can bring them to Skiatook, also.

Thanks for the info!Greatly appreciated!

I am not going to be able to make it to the meet up, Too much crazy happening here - we are building a house and I am saving all my vacation for that.

That bumper, what I can see of it, looks in excellent condition! I would like that on my truck! The bumper at the local wreckers is cheap and matches the Bronco perfect, so I will probably go for that.

In terms of wheels.... The lady will pick them out... She likes what I have on my truck (American Racing Outlaw II). There is a long way to go before those are the top of the list...

Thanks for the info!Greatly appreciated!

I am not going to be able to make it to the meet up, Too much crazy happening here - we are building a house and I am saving all my vacation for that.

That bumper, what I can see of it, looks in excellent condition! I would like that on my truck! The bumper at the local wreckers is cheap and matches the Bronco perfect, so I will probably go for that.

In terms of wheels.... The lady will pick them out... She likes what I have on my truck (American Racing Outlaw II). There is a long way to go before those are the top of the list...

Got the front 4 shocks seapped out. WOW! What a difference! Taking a break before tackling the rear ones!

3B85BA81-7AA7-4880-BECE-439246D4026F.thumb.jpeg.2f0e0f9d0b12486f9a2e800b5f74db46.jpeg

Got the front 4 shocks seapped out. WOW! What a difference! Taking a break before tackling the rear ones!

I was amazed how much better Dad's truck rode with quad Sensatracs up front than whatever Dad had on it. I expected it to be harsher, but it was actually softer and yet much more "planted".

I was amazed how much better Dad's truck rode with quad Sensatracs up front than whatever Dad had on it. I expected it to be harsher, but it was actually softer and yet much more "planted".

Th shocks I pulled off were in far worse shape than I anticipated. I could easily compress them and they fizzed and popped the whole compression and expansion cycle. We have some gravel roads and roundabouts and rutted asphalt around us. Now, I and not saying Espy rode like my LR3 which is crazy smooth for an SUV, but she had far better road manners than I ever expected. When I get to change those crappy tires out it will be just grand 😎

I have noticed some of the body mounts look a little tired... I may add that to the list for down the line.. as well as the the rear sway bar bushings which are shot.

Oh, I have play in my steering box.. I tightened the adjuster 1/8 turn and it feels better, but a blue top is on the list.

Power mirrors stopped working again... grrrr.

Th shocks I pulled off were in far worse shape than I anticipated. I could easily compress them and they fizzed and popped the whole compression and expansion cycle. We have some gravel roads and roundabouts and rutted asphalt around us. Now, I and not saying Espy rode like my LR3 which is crazy smooth for an SUV, but she had far better road manners than I ever expected. When I get to change those crappy tires out it will be just grand 😎

I have noticed some of the body mounts look a little tired... I may add that to the list for down the line.. as well as the the rear sway bar bushings which are shot.

Oh, I have play in my steering box.. I tightened the adjuster 1/8 turn and it feels better, but a blue top is on the list.

Power mirrors stopped working again... grrrr.

Shocks can make such a huge difference, but people don't seem to realize that and put up with worn out ones for way too long. These trucks don't have the best suspension design, but properly set up they do pretty well.

And tires/wheels make a big difference as well. Rusty had some large M&S tires on heavy steel wheels and I replaced them with Dad's aluminum wheels with street tires. I was surprised both by the difference in weight as well as the ride and handling. The lighter tires & wheels sure helped.

As for adjusting the box, I've found that any adjustment tighter takes away the feel and the return-to-center. In my experiments, which have been short as they were unsatisfactory, I've always gone back to the original setting and lived with the slop until the box could be replaced.

Shocks can make such a huge difference, but people don't seem to realize that and put up with worn out ones for way too long. These trucks don't have the best suspension design, but properly set up they do pretty well.

And tires/wheels make a big difference as well. Rusty had some large M&S tires on heavy steel wheels and I replaced them with Dad's aluminum wheels with street tires. I was surprised both by the difference in weight as well as the ride and handling. The lighter tires & wheels sure helped.

As for adjusting the box, I've found that any adjustment tighter takes away the feel and the return-to-center. In my experiments, which have been short as they were unsatisfactory, I've always gone back to the original setting and lived with the slop until the box could be replaced.

Wheels and tires will be the last thing I take care of... Mainly because what is there is safe and functional, even if they are ugly.

It is clear the steering box has to go. I will order one in a couple of weeks, I need to finish up all the bits I have parts for right now before I order anything else.. The budget has been blown the last month.

I just went back and read all the work I have done so far. I feel like I have made real progress! The electrics are annoying me. There is a bundle of wires in the driver side kick panel that I think are the problem. There is a very old looking brake controller type thing in there and some crappy wiring. I will post pics at some point ad try and strip all that out...

Wheels and tires will be the last thing I take care of... Mainly because what is there is safe and functional, even if they are ugly.

It is clear the steering box has to go. I will order one in a couple of weeks, I need to finish up all the bits I have parts for right now before I order anything else.. The budget has been blown the last month.

I just went back and read all the work I have done so far. I feel like I have made real progress! The electrics are annoying me. There is a bundle of wires in the driver side kick panel that I think are the problem. There is a very old looking brake controller type thing in there and some crappy wiring. I will post pics at some point ad try and strip all that out...

Replaced the driver side power lock actuator. That was fiddly. Haynes manual was useless!

So now both power locks work!

Replaced all the speakers. The rears will need some work. The previous owner just cut holes in the old grills. I will make some replacement plates out of MDF and spray blue to match. Easy job just didn’t fancy it tonight.

Speaker cable to rear left speaker has a disconnect somewhere. New stereo arrives next week so will run new cables then and do the plates at the same time.

Time to look up how to bench test the clock!

Replaced the driver side power lock actuator. That was fiddly. Haynes manual was useless!

So now both power locks work!

Replaced all the speakers. The rears will need some work. The previous owner just cut holes in the old grills. I will make some replacement plates out of MDF and spray blue to match. Easy job just didn’t fancy it tonight.

Speaker cable to rear left speaker has a disconnect somewhere. New stereo arrives next week so will run new cables then and do the plates at the same time.

Time to look up how to bench test the clock!

Hopefully the new head unit will come with decent wires. Those in Big Blue are a joke. So small and yet the head unit claims big wattage - which would never flow through those wires.

Clock wiring is here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/digital-clock.html

Anyway, sounds like good progress. :nabble_smiley_good: