Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Thanks!

It was a tough one. In the end decided to pop the drive shaft out, undo the pivot bushing and then it was free and easy. We did sacrifice the vent tube in the process 😫

Of course the pivot bushing was shot so I ordered a pair of them up, as I am this deep it wouldn’t make sense not to replace them. They should arrive next week but i will be away for work a bit, not sure when I will get to complete this.

One thing I do know, the front end will be tight as a tiger and once it goes for an alignment it will be straight as a die.

I think you will be pleased with the results. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will be pleased with the results. :nabble_smiley_good:

Honestly, I am not looking forward to changing those pivot bushings, it looks tight in there. But there is no doubt the end result will be a quantum leap forward..

Unfortunately I have a lot of travel coming up and I am not going to get this all done for a bit :(

Honestly, I am not looking forward to changing those pivot bushings, it looks tight in there. But there is no doubt the end result will be a quantum leap forward..

Unfortunately I have a lot of travel coming up and I am not going to get this all done for a bit :(

Pivot bushings arrived today. I can’t get to them till Saturday.

Looking at my ball joint press I am going to struggle with the sockets I have to assemble a press, my sockets are all too deep.

Any advice on how to press them out, preferred socket size or other tool?

I saw videos of people drilling the rubber out and using sawzall to cut the bushing sleeve, but that seems sub optimal.

Pivot bushings arrived today. I can’t get to them till Saturday.

Looking at my ball joint press I am going to struggle with the sockets I have to assemble a press, my sockets are all too deep.

Any advice on how to press them out, preferred socket size or other tool?

I saw videos of people drilling the rubber out and using sawzall to cut the bushing sleeve, but that seems sub optimal.

Hi.

I drilled around the senter pipe. Then knocked it out. Removing the rest of the rubber is not so difficult. Then I used a chisel and hammer to get the sleeve out.

Still on page 2 or 3 in my thread.

Greetings Stein

Hi.

I drilled around the senter pipe. Then knocked it out. Removing the rest of the rubber is not so difficult. Then I used a chisel and hammer to get the sleeve out.

Still on page 2 or 3 in my thread.

Greetings Stein

Thanks Stein, I did see that on your thread. I will be prepared in case that is what I have to do.

I got the first pics of my rebuilt seats, picking them up on Friday.

A little out of focus, I will of course post better ones when I pick them up.

Resized_20230726_074834001.jpeg.7e40237cc2960e3f13e03a9ec1988848.jpeg

Resized_20230724_142830001.jpeg.9dc53d1729a75b2f50742c3964fce94f.jpeg

Thanks Stein, I did see that on your thread. I will be prepared in case that is what I have to do.

I got the first pics of my rebuilt seats, picking them up on Friday.

A little out of focus, I will of course post better ones when I pick them up.

Nice seats 👍.

Pressing out the whole bushing may be possible. The pivoting arm is hollow. Dont think there was more than 5 mm of wall thicknes around each end of the bushing. Are you planning on using bushings from Energy Suspension ?

Greetingd Stein

Nice seats 👍.

Pressing out the whole bushing may be possible. The pivoting arm is hollow. Dont think there was more than 5 mm of wall thicknes around each end of the bushing. Are you planning on using bushings from Energy Suspension ?

Greetingd Stein

I got all my bushings from Moog. They had an “improved” design and a standard, I got the improved.

I will try and start replacing them on Friday PM, I have a friend to help, but he doesn’t work on cars. I guess he can pass me a beer now and then!

I got all my bushings from Moog. They had an “improved” design and a standard, I got the improved.

I will try and start replacing them on Friday PM, I have a friend to help, but he doesn’t work on cars. I guess he can pass me a beer now and then!

Hi.

Is it the Moog 8620 ? Then it looks like it will be an easy install being a complete bushing. Energy Suspension may be a little awkward being several loose parts to put together. Good luck. Only one beer pr. completed bushing 😄.

Greetings Stein

Hi.

Is it the Moog 8620 ? Then it looks like it will be an easy install being a complete bushing. Energy Suspension may be a little awkward being several loose parts to put together. Good luck. Only one beer pr. completed bushing 😄.

Greetings Stein

Yes, that is the one!

As everything else was MOOG I decided to stay the same.

Not sure but I seem to have this built up in my mind as a difficult thing to do…

Also I have a slight aversion to the color red. When my friend was swearing helping me with the radius arm bushings he shouted at me, “Dude, the bushings are fine, leave them”. I conviced him to carry on helping me.

Once we had them changed out he asked me,”why were you so insistent on changing those bushings, they are fine”.

The response was simple. “They are blue now, not red.”

That may be the closest he has ever come to hitting me.

I am a little worried, he is my dentist and my appointment is coming up 😂