Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

So while I am waiting for the spindles to arrive a couple of things have happened.

1. I dropped the seats and the cloth off to the upholstery guy today. Should get them back sometime next week

2. I installed a new amplifier for the stereo. I went from the Infinity Reference series to the Infinity Kappa series so they now match the Kappa speakers. The amplifier is smaller and sounds much cleaner. It is fused at the same 2x30A. I used an oscilloscope to match the output of the stereo to the amp and all that good stuff.

3. cleaned up the grounding for the amplifier.

I need to get a ball joint press tool, can't believe it is $90 from Horrible Fright!!

No idea when the spindles will arrive so may start pulling the carpet out so I can put some sound deadening down.

Really want to get this done over the next week, but it is gonna be HOT!!

That's cool, but I would like to understand how you "used an oscilloscope to match the output of the stereo to the amp"? I'm not doubting it, just wanting to understand so I might be able to do it.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool, but I would like to understand how you "used an oscilloscope to match the output of the stereo to the amp"? I'm not doubting it, just wanting to understand so I might be able to do it.

My process.. I play most of my music from my phone.

Download signal generator app.

Connect phone to stereo via Bluetooth

Set tone to 1kHz

Turn phone volume to max

Attached scope to stereo phono leads to see when the sine wave started to clip, backed down to clean signal, stereo registered 44 on the dial out of 50.

Leave stereo at 44

Connect amp, not speakers. Attach scope to speaker terminals and dial the amp gain till clips then back off. This is your max clean signal.

Not too complex.

My process.. I play most of my music from my phone.

Download signal generator app.

Connect phone to stereo via Bluetooth

Set tone to 1kHz

Turn phone volume to max

Attached scope to stereo phono leads to see when the sine wave started to clip, backed down to clean signal, stereo registered 44 on the dial out of 50.

Leave stereo at 44

Connect amp, not speakers. Attach scope to speaker terminals and dial the amp gain till clips then back off. This is your max clean signal.

Not too complex.

Well done! That makes sense to me. Thanks! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thank you YouTube!

A The spindles arrived just now too.

Gonna be a busy weekend..

Slow progress, but progress!

Passenger side:

Radius arm bushing replaced

Upper and lower ball joints replaced

Spindle and bearing repalced

New Bilsteins shocks installed

New spring installed

71123218357__C555ABC8-C195-403C-9C75-4AFAAE040837.thumb.jpeg.acc21d0329b62c8ef3d2bafa5ff30d78.jpeg

Decided to stop there for the day. The rotor/hub install shouldn’t be a stress and will try and do it tomorrow

Slow progress, but progress!

Passenger side:

Radius arm bushing replaced

Upper and lower ball joints replaced

Spindle and bearing repalced

New Bilsteins shocks installed

New spring installed

Decided to stop there for the day. The rotor/hub install shouldn’t be a stress and will try and do it tomorrow

Yippee! :nabble_anim_claps:

Yippee! :nabble_anim_claps:

Got the passengers side finished up. I didn’t get a good pic before the wheel went on though.

So the fancy blue caliper is hiding back there!

Started on the driver’s side. Got the ball joints in. The lower one was a total mare but we got it in.

Any advice on how to change the radius arm bushing? It looks like there is less wiggle room on the driver’s side.

IMG_6763.jpeg.f4c59950ea1919d5b30b22d1165e6424.jpeg

IMG_6764.jpeg.56dd21857de4f1605861790f2163431e.jpeg

IMG_6767.thumb.jpeg.9cfeeaac7b24f999f3edfdb3d830dc56.jpeg

Got the passengers side finished up. I didn’t get a good pic before the wheel went on though.

So the fancy blue caliper is hiding back there!

Started on the driver’s side. Got the ball joints in. The lower one was a total mare but we got it in.

Any advice on how to change the radius arm bushing? It looks like there is less wiggle room on the driver’s side.

Hi. I used a lashing strap to help pull the radius arm out of its bracket. Page 3 Fixing Eddie.

Greetings Stein

Yes, pull the axle forward with a come-along, ratchet strap, etc to get to the bushing.

Thanks!

It was a tough one. In the end decided to pop the drive shaft out, undo the pivot bushing and then it was free and easy. We did sacrifice the vent tube in the process 😫

Of course the pivot bushing was shot so I ordered a pair of them up, as I am this deep it wouldn’t make sense not to replace them. They should arrive next week but i will be away for work a bit, not sure when I will get to complete this.

One thing I do know, the front end will be tight as a tiger and once it goes for an alignment it will be straight as a die.

IMG_6775.thumb.jpeg.098ab353a59415661bdf6f0941b1479e.jpeg