Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! Good job! Happy pup and the Softopper looks good rolled up.

Back to bodywork.

Sanded, some sealer went on. Tomorrow will be sand, prime, sand, seal, base, clear… well thats the plan. Only the driver side quarter panels though.

Tempted to leave the trim off and fill the holes for a cleaner look then put a pin stripe on….

00208E8D-BD46-4308-8B20-2A533FB36694.jpeg.e46c6ab7d60b5b0c520e867a7c5b5b84.jpeg

Back to bodywork.

Sanded, some sealer went on. Tomorrow will be sand, prime, sand, seal, base, clear… well thats the plan. Only the driver side quarter panels though.

Tempted to leave the trim off and fill the holes for a cleaner look then put a pin stripe on….

I kind of dig the cleaner look. But that’s just me.

I kind of dig the cleaner look. But that’s just me.

Let me be clear. I am 100% blaming Gary for this! 🤣

8am-4pm. Pulling trim, sanding, treating rust, primer, some filler.

Now letting this set up over night. Tomorrow will be sanding, final glazing putty and hopefully I cam lay primer and paint… if the rain holds off.

AFCF1147-8653-4B38-9DBD-F211E7D149CF.jpeg.37eedbf8f41275bccb9cc8d717707d93.jpeg

69C25F31-7260-4BE3-A64A-65D248EF6F22.jpeg.b8f78e200b78b3ad9cf50c3e69b5216a.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Let me be clear. I am 100% blaming Gary for this! 🤣

8am-4pm. Pulling trim, sanding, treating rust, primer, some filler.

Now letting this set up over night. Tomorrow will be sanding, final glazing putty and hopefully I cam lay primer and paint… if the rain holds off.

I had to leave for a week so the paint it not on yet. Looks like good weather this week so will get it finished up the next few evenings.

I am 2.5 days into sanding/filling and it is pretty smooth.

The 2 part epoxy primer should be a good sealer for all the work.

Some purchases arrived too:

Brake calipers

Brake pads

Brake drums

Front bearings (inner, outer, seals)

Caliper paint (blue)

Super winch locking hubs (not in pic)

New fender badges (full set)

Going to be a busy week!

5EE6F158-76A4-4CB6-839C-ACFE7B3AB6E4.thumb.jpeg.4513d3e431e30e3befb0ef676e2826fc.jpeg

I had to leave for a week so the paint it not on yet. Looks like good weather this week so will get it finished up the next few evenings.

I am 2.5 days into sanding/filling and it is pretty smooth.

The 2 part epoxy primer should be a good sealer for all the work.

Some purchases arrived too:

Brake calipers

Brake pads

Brake drums

Front bearings (inner, outer, seals)

Caliper paint (blue)

Super winch locking hubs (not in pic)

New fender badges (full set)

Going to be a busy week!

That’s going to make a huge difference, Dane! :nabble_anim_claps:

That’s going to make a huge difference, Dane! :nabble_anim_claps:

decided as I am pulling that front apart to do the following too:

Rotor/hub assembly replace

spindle bearing and seal replace.

I am hoping the spindles are in good shape here. That is where I drew the line on this part of the project. Once I pull things apart I will know if I need spindles too. I sure hope not as that is a lot more money..

decided as I am pulling that front apart to do the following too:

Rotor/hub assembly replace

spindle bearing and seal replace.

I am hoping the spindles are in good shape here. That is where I drew the line on this part of the project. Once I pull things apart I will know if I need spindles too. I sure hope not as that is a lot more money..

What is your saying? In for a penny, in for a pound? Now is the time to do it, but I do hope the spindles are good.

What is your saying? In for a penny, in for a pound? Now is the time to do it, but I do hope the spindles are good.

Absolutely.

While I am taking it down that far I want to get all I can sorted out. I don't want to change parts for no good reason, but I feel bearings and bearing seals are worth replacing at this point.

As I am replacing rotors/hubs - pulling the spindle to change the bearing and seal seems like a logical thing to do.

I hope to get to the rear axle this winter as it leaks oil from all the seals. I am thinking of dropping it for a total teardown. I have the space to do it and it seams the tooling requirement is very low, so why not?

Absolutely.

While I am taking it down that far I want to get all I can sorted out. I don't want to change parts for no good reason, but I feel bearings and bearing seals are worth replacing at this point.

As I am replacing rotors/hubs - pulling the spindle to change the bearing and seal seems like a logical thing to do.

I hope to get to the rear axle this winter as it leaks oil from all the seals. I am thinking of dropping it for a total teardown. I have the space to do it and it seams the tooling requirement is very low, so why not?

Wasn’t happy with some of my rust mitigation. Opened up the wounds a little more.

I will cut out what i can from the outside, clear out what I can from there and use a rust converter. The pics are mid process, i did get back to clean metal on the outer skins.

Ultimately these need to be cut out and replaced, but that is above my skill set for now.

Essentially both front fenders need to be replaced.

22C54263-EF3F-4CDA-8F75-95A87629C8FD.jpeg.4935beed07ae1614066972520601ae7d.jpeg

3E8BF747-09D7-42E9-B4CA-0AD9568BD68C.jpeg.fd4617457ca70aece79ad4415d7b7181.jpeg