Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Looks Lokar makes the cables. Throttle cable XTC-1000HT36

https://www.lokar.com/assets/instructions/INS0002-ThrottleCable.pdf

And cruise control cable with adapter plate for “Rostra style cruise controls”- CC-1601HT Stainless Housing Cruise Control Cable

https://www.lokar.com/assets/instructions/INS0126-Cruise-Control-Cable-Instructions.pdf

Is the Ford factory speed control the same as a “Rostra style cruise control”? Any comments as whether this will work or not?

Are the throttle and speed control cables are working? Or does the throttle cable have a lot of movement before it starts moving the throttle? And does it get the throttle fully open?

In my experience an aftermarket manifold moves the carb such that the OEM bracket is in the wrong place and you have slack in the throttle cable. In that case you'll need to fabricate a new bracket, which I've done by sawing the old bracket in two and placing a spacer between the two parts.

But does that bracket also hold the TV cable? Or is that a completely separate issue?

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the throttle and speed control cables are working? Or does the throttle cable have a lot of movement before it starts moving the throttle? And does it get the throttle fully open?

In my experience an aftermarket manifold moves the carb such that the OEM bracket is in the wrong place and you have slack in the throttle cable. In that case you'll need to fabricate a new bracket, which I've done by sawing the old bracket in two and placing a spacer between the two parts.

But does that bracket also hold the TV cable? Or is that a completely separate issue?

I have not even tried to adjust the throttle cable. The angle is clearly not correct so no point.

I am going to pull the trigger on the Lokar stuff as it looks like a tidy solution and will put everything in the right place to work properly..

Another delay on getting Espy on the road! I was hoping to have her all set for this weekend...

I have not even tried to adjust the throttle cable. The angle is clearly not correct so no point.

I am going to pull the trigger on the Lokar stuff as it looks like a tidy solution and will put everything in the right place to work properly..

Another delay on getting Espy on the road! I was hoping to have her all set for this weekend...

Lokar is good stuff, so I think you'll be happy. And it is best to get it right rather than to hurry and have to redo it later.

Lokar is good stuff, so I think you'll be happy. And it is best to get it right rather than to hurry and have to redo it later.

I am happy with the TV cable and bracket I got from Lokar. As they have the rest of the set I may as well go for it.

Looking forward to stopping at the speed shop later for a chat. Hopefully they can order the parts for me. There is no way I can get anything delivered until mid next week so I will focus on yard work this weekend. The wife has to work anyway.

I am happy with the TV cable and bracket I got from Lokar. As they have the rest of the set I may as well go for it.

Looking forward to stopping at the speed shop later for a chat. Hopefully they can order the parts for me. There is no way I can get anything delivered until mid next week so I will focus on yard work this weekend. The wife has to work anyway.

Fresh back from the speed shop (I love that term!). The owner Mike was there and I had a good chat with him. He is looking to retire in 2-3 years, I hope the shop keeps going.

He had the throttle cable in stock and has ordered up the cruise control cable for me. He said he has sold at least 50 of the throttle cables so far this year and this was the last one he had. The wear houses are out of stock to apparently.

Maybe I can get Espy running for this weekend after all! Not worried about not having cruise for a few days.

Fresh back from the speed shop (I love that term!). The owner Mike was there and I had a good chat with him. He is looking to retire in 2-3 years, I hope the shop keeps going.

He had the throttle cable in stock and has ordered up the cruise control cable for me. He said he has sold at least 50 of the throttle cables so far this year and this was the last one he had. The wear houses are out of stock to apparently.

Maybe I can get Espy running for this weekend after all! Not worried about not having cruise for a few days.

Great news! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm glad that Mike could come through for you.

ESPY has her sun dress on for summer. 😉

Hopefully you have nice weather this holiday weekend.

Excellent! Maybe you'll be driving Espy tomorrow?

Great news! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm glad that Mike could come through for you.

ESPY has her sun dress on for summer. 😉

Hopefully you have nice weather this holiday weekend.

Cheers!

So mixed news to report...

I got the TV cable and throttle cable on.

Got the pressure gauge and line sorted out. I got red on me.

Once Espy was up to temperature and in neutral I slackened the TV line. I could only get the pressure down to 40psi reliably. It would dip to 36 on occasion if I fiddled with the cable. The instructions from Monster Transmissions was to target 35psi as a starting point.

I took her for a test drive and I have to say, this is the best Espy has ever driven. The shifts are on the firmer side, which I have read is the preference as that means things are not slipping, but they are not rough. She gets into OD and will cruise happily at 60mph (55 on the speedo but I had an app running on my phone, I have bigger tires).

BB12A1EF-4E22-4918-8990-EB0BDAAFB91B.jpeg.5dd6eb7125527e33f906c5428bd60120.jpeg

All in all a successful day. I took some pics but they were awful so will take better ones when it cools down outside.

Now back to body work...

Cheers!

So mixed news to report...

I got the TV cable and throttle cable on.

Got the pressure gauge and line sorted out. I got red on me.

Once Espy was up to temperature and in neutral I slackened the TV line. I could only get the pressure down to 40psi reliably. It would dip to 36 on occasion if I fiddled with the cable. The instructions from Monster Transmissions was to target 35psi as a starting point.

I took her for a test drive and I have to say, this is the best Espy has ever driven. The shifts are on the firmer side, which I have read is the preference as that means things are not slipping, but they are not rough. She gets into OD and will cruise happily at 60mph (55 on the speedo but I had an app running on my phone, I have bigger tires).

All in all a successful day. I took some pics but they were awful so will take better ones when it cools down outside.

Now back to body work...

Wow! You are way ahead of where I thought you are. :nabble_anim_claps:

So glad Espy is shifting well. In fact, better than ever. Firm shifts are perfect. :nabble_smiley_good: