Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Stein - I enjoy your thread too you have done some great work.

This has been a rollercoaster for me. I have never done anything like this before, I learn a lot from the problems and I enjoy the successes.

The bluetop installation should be very easy for you, having seen the work you have done.

I am going to tackle the wiring for the AES AFR tonight and have the bung welded in later this week..

Post now in correct thread!

It was all going to well…

Turned the key, heard the sound of metal chewing metal!

The starter decided it didn’t like the teeth on the flywheel anymore.

I couldn’t fully remove the starter as the headers and transmission oil lines are in the way.

This may be a job for the garage. I just don’t have the set up to deal with this.

I need a PMGR starter, they are smaller, right?

I am pretty pissed!

950014E1-BC41-47F8-ABDF-2F6AF4CE81D9.thumb.jpeg.b539cf5a366511519e3fe043524b42f6.jpeg

Not sure if I can dismantle the starter or wiggle it free. Either way I think a new flywheel gear thing may be needed..

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn’t fully remove the starter as the headers and transmission oil lines are in the way.

This may be a job for the garage. I just don’t have the set up to deal with this.

I am pretty pissed!

Not sure if I can dismantle the starter or wiggle it free. Either way I think a new flywheel gear thing may be needed..

Poof! It's gone from Stein's thread. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

You have a flex plate, and yes it looks chewed up.

Can you take the starter apart to get it out?

I ask because that used to be the only way to change the starter in an Isuzu 3.2 V-6 that was 4x4.

What about the bearing in the nosecone of the starter that supports the Bendix gear?

How did the gear get so out of line that it caused the damage?

Poof! It's gone from Stein's thread. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

You have a flex plate, and yes it looks chewed up.

Can you take the starter apart to get it out?

I ask because that used to be the only way to change the starter in an Isuzu 3.2 V-6 that was 4x4.

What about the bearing in the nosecone of the starter that supports the Bendix gear?

How did the gear get so out of line that it caused the damage?

Thank you!

Ah, that’s a flex plate!

Not sure if the starter can be disassembled or not. I didn’t force anything, a more experienced person may be able to wiggle the starter out.

I assume to replace a flex plate you have to drop the transmission? I am not geared up for that kind of work… I operate with wrenches and sockets on gravel…

I can’t get in to see the bearing, no idea how it got out of whack, maybe a weak engagement? Something funky going on for sure.

Going to call the garage tomorrow and chat with them…

So disappointed as so much was going well.

I am pretty pissed!

Yes, PMGR starters are generally smaller.

I think the 351 got them in 1994.

Do yourself a favor and do not use a spade connector for the trigger wire. This was a reliability issue due to corrosion.

They take some re-wiring.

The 800# gorilla is pulling a 4x4 transmission (and draining the cooler) to change out that flex plate.... 😳

I am pretty pissed!

Bummer! As you said, things were going so well. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Bummer! As you said, things were going so well. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Ok. I have 2 ways forward.

I am going to try and pull the starter again tonight, using a bit more force to try and wiggle it out.

If I am successful I will order a PMGR starter. My thinking is I can manually crank the engine a little to find a good spot on the flex plate, install the PMGR starter, do the rewire. This should be enough to be able to drive it to a shop and have the flex plate replaced. Probably a few hours of labor there...

If I cannot remove the starter, I will have it towed to a garage and have a new starter and flex plate installed. I talk with them to have a PMGR installed.

When trying to remove the starter last night the bottom bolt was definitely threaded. Could have been my fault from turning the bolt the wrong way trying to loosen it. I was not thinking clearly as I was so frustrated. Took me a bit to get it out. Looks like there is space to put a nut on the other side so I will do that..Not the biggest issue here.

Ok. I have 2 ways forward.

I am going to try and pull the starter again tonight, using a bit more force to try and wiggle it out.

If I am successful I will order a PMGR starter. My thinking is I can manually crank the engine a little to find a good spot on the flex plate, install the PMGR starter, do the rewire. This should be enough to be able to drive it to a shop and have the flex plate replaced. Probably a few hours of labor there...

If I cannot remove the starter, I will have it towed to a garage and have a new starter and flex plate installed. I talk with them to have a PMGR installed.

When trying to remove the starter last night the bottom bolt was definitely threaded. Could have been my fault from turning the bolt the wrong way trying to loosen it. I was not thinking clearly as I was so frustrated. Took me a bit to get it out. Looks like there is space to put a nut on the other side so I will do that..Not the biggest issue here.

My friend suggested pulling the headers and sticking in my spare starter to see if it will work on the existing flex plate before spending any money.

I think that is a good idea. Going to be a busy day off tomorrow..

My friend suggested pulling the headers and sticking in my spare starter to see if it will work on the existing flex plate before spending any money.

I think that is a good idea. Going to be a busy day off tomorrow..

So the headers came off pretty easy. I guess as the engine is new the bolts are not seized. I will be applying anti seize when they go back in..

Before I put my spare starter in, is there anything I should check?

The removed starter.

C293E9A6-D526-4512-BC2A-7445A4561010.thumb.jpeg.9a089ef67869862c3c120b3d055e437f.jpeg

So the headers came off pretty easy. I guess as the engine is new the bolts are not seized. I will be applying anti seize when they go back in..

Before I put my spare starter in, is there anything I should check?

The removed starter.

I got a good picture of the flexplate teeth.

I am thinking this is salvageable. Take a small file to the burrs and call it good?

D9627459-3A75-4AAB-A5B6-CBFB2E52B2A2.thumb.jpeg.6c9fb9b126b3ab345e346b30a216e34d.jpeg

I have a new starter that i bought for the engine rebuild and forgot about. It is a duralast gold, it is slightly smaller than the unit i pulled off.

I got a good picture of the flexplate teeth.

I am thinking this is salvageable. Take a small file to the burrs and call it good?

I have a new starter that i bought for the engine rebuild and forgot about. It is a duralast gold, it is slightly smaller than the unit i pulled off.

Yes, I think you can salvage that pretty easily, although you'll have to turn the engine over by using a breaker bar on the crank bolt. And then put the other starter on. :nabble_smiley_good: