Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Even after a couple of glasses of whiskey last night I am still mad this morning!

The gaskets were just a really poor fit and took a lot of fiddling with to get them to line up. They were not labeled for which way round they should go and they stick out at the front of the engine as per the pic above. The little blocking pieces for the middle port (that was blocked with the old gasket and I have no idea why) did not fit properly and needed trimming too.

Any recommendation on gaskets? Need to order some replacements up ASAP.

I was wearing gloves, the issue was the RTV was bad and it was a brand new tube I had just opened...

Rant over!

I use Felpro gaskets.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Felpro gaskets.

Small progress tonight. I got the valve covers on and the distributor on.

These were both a pain to sort out. The angles of the Edelbrock covers made it really tough to get a socket on the bolts. I think ideally I need to use smaller headed bolts.

I am now officially an Edelbrock "anti-sponsor". I have nothing good to say about any interaction with any of their products I have used on this project. Nothing works "out of the box".

The distributor was tricky. As you can see on the left of the distributor there is a riser for the coolant to the heater core and a tee with the original coolant temp sensor. Well. Let me just say, the angles here were a pain and I need to get rid of that sensor as it is not being used.

So. I think I have 2-3 hours more work before I try and start her, but here are the pics :)

damned_thingy.jpg.452577a73b74aa833761b9592812dc86.jpgpup.jpg.00d0a4c132906b9df331122577a9a38b.jpg

Small progress tonight. I got the valve covers on and the distributor on.

These were both a pain to sort out. The angles of the Edelbrock covers made it really tough to get a socket on the bolts. I think ideally I need to use smaller headed bolts.

I am now officially an Edelbrock "anti-sponsor". I have nothing good to say about any interaction with any of their products I have used on this project. Nothing works "out of the box".

The distributor was tricky. As you can see on the left of the distributor there is a riser for the coolant to the heater core and a tee with the original coolant temp sensor. Well. Let me just say, the angles here were a pain and I need to get rid of that sensor as it is not being used.

So. I think I have 2-3 hours more work before I try and start her, but here are the pics :)

I'm sorry you are having such problems. But, for all the problems it sure is looking good. I really do like the valve covers. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for Edelbrock, I really like their carbs. However, the rest of their stuff varies from decent to poor, so you have to know what you are getting.

And then there's the GM distributor. They are just too big for a Ford, and while they work they have clearance problems on the smaller engines - like you found.

Hang in there, it is going to be worth it!

I'm sorry you are having such problems. But, for all the problems it sure is looking good. I really do like the valve covers. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for Edelbrock, I really like their carbs. However, the rest of their stuff varies from decent to poor, so you have to know what you are getting.

And then there's the GM distributor. They are just too big for a Ford, and while they work they have clearance problems on the smaller engines - like you found.

Hang in there, it is going to be worth it!

Gary,

I am indeed regretting the GM distributor! But it is in and if it works...

Hopefully tonight is the night I get her fired up and see if those seals hold!

We are pulling for you!

Made progress tonight.

The radiator drain plug broke... manage to temp fix it, but need to find a real replacement, went to 3stores in town, found one, but it is right hand thread not left hand thread! Eventually managed to rig something up until I can find the right part,,,

Got everything put together but had no spark.. changed the spark plug leads out and got spark.

So now I need to find TDC and set the distributor up.. it got dark so I will try that tomorrow.

Also need to work out which wire is the ignition 12v...

Learning a lot...

Made progress tonight.

The radiator drain plug broke... manage to temp fix it, but need to find a real replacement, went to 3stores in town, found one, but it is right hand thread not left hand thread! Eventually managed to rig something up until I can find the right part,,,

Got everything put together but had no spark.. changed the spark plug leads out and got spark.

So now I need to find TDC and set the distributor up.. it got dark so I will try that tomorrow.

Also need to work out which wire is the ignition 12v...

Learning a lot...

If it can go wrong it will. :nabble_smiley_cry: But, look at all the improvements you are making as you peel this onion. And, think of the large bowl of onion rings, or maybe even a bloomin' onion, you'll have!

If it can go wrong it will. :nabble_smiley_cry: But, look at all the improvements you are making as you peel this onion. And, think of the large bowl of onion rings, or maybe even a bloomin' onion, you'll have!

I am feeling good about this.

Once i find TDC we should get her started and I know all this ground work is worthwhile.

I am really enjoying the chllange!

I am feeling good about this.

Once i find TDC we should get her started and I know all this ground work is worthwhile.

I am really enjoying the chllange!

Funny story.

I had a dream last night... I dreamt that When I was trying to replace the radiator drain plug I only extracted the core part of it, which is the left hand thread, and not the actual main body..

I had a quick look under there this morning and I think my bloody dream is right... So at lunch today I will go get the size plug that would fit the larger size and try it out.

Things will drive you mad..