Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! I haven't seen "good fits" either, but thought your wife might be different. :nabble_smiley_wink:

It was too cold to install the intake manifold today... So instead:

Finished the door seal on the drivers door. So that door/window is all new weather stripping and it feels GREAT closing the door!

I got the needle paint out and gave the needles their first coat. Looks like 2-3 coats will be enough.

I know Gary did a needle paint review, but I already had this stuff from last year... It is what ever LMC sells...

The brush in the bottle was naff, so I picked up a pack of kiddies art brushes from harbor freight, 20 for $1.99.. The paint looks better than in the pic for some reason.Espy_needles.jpg.226280676466f7b582c2007a94db59aa.jpg

It was too cold to install the intake manifold today... So instead:

Finished the door seal on the drivers door. So that door/window is all new weather stripping and it feels GREAT closing the door!

I got the needle paint out and gave the needles their first coat. Looks like 2-3 coats will be enough.

I know Gary did a needle paint review, but I already had this stuff from last year... It is what ever LMC sells...

The brush in the bottle was naff, so I picked up a pack of kiddies art brushes from harbor freight, 20 for $1.99.. The paint looks better than in the pic for some reason.

My review was done w/o the information that Bill O'Neal, of HiPo Parts, passed on to me about paints. So I'm going to redo my review to see if I can tell the difference in how the different paints fluoresce with differing light sources. But yours look good, so keep on truckin'.

What are you going to use for gauge lighting?

As for the doors, isn't it amazing how much better they sound and feel with new weatherstripping and window runs? Makes you think of a new car. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the doors, isn't it amazing how much better they sound and feel with new weatherstripping and window runs? Makes you think of a new car. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, but without the payment and high insurance! :nabble_anim_jump:

I can't wait to get the passenger side done..

To do list for this evening:

Install intake manifold and valve covers

Install distributor

Replace weather stripping on passenger side

Replace vacuum lines (got fancy new blue silicon ones!)

The more I look at the radiator hoses, the more I want to replace them too....

With a little luck, and help from a friend I should be able to get most of this done later.

I can't wait to get the passenger side done..

To do list for this evening:

Install intake manifold and valve covers

Install distributor

Replace weather stripping on passenger side

Replace vacuum lines (got fancy new blue silicon ones!)

The more I look at the radiator hoses, the more I want to replace them too....

With a little luck, and help from a friend I should be able to get most of this done later.

Well that was a disaster...

I got the manifold and engine nicely cleaned up. Then the bolts I had were too long and I had to run out and get the correct size..

When mating the Edelbrock 7220 gaskets (designed for Edelbrock 2181 manifold) to the engine it was a SHOCKING fit.... My friend could not believe it..

So we got the gaskets lined up on the engine as best we could. put a couple of studs in the block and then opened the black RTV Ultra. It was hard to get out fo the tube so I poked it a little and it started coming out. I prepped the corners and started laying the bead on the back and the RTV stopped flowing. I cleared the blockage and then squeezed some more out. Then the tube cracked and it started coming out of the side of the tube. By now what started as a nice even bead was ugly, ugly, ugly.

We had a hunt around and found another tube of "Minute gasket" in my garage. So we cleaned up as best we could and laid the bead on the front and back with that. Not optimal...

THEN my friend was lowering the intake down and he could not get it on the studs cleanly and it come down weird..

By this point I said we are kinda all in. There was RTV on the gaskets etc so it was pull it all apart and get more stuff or let's set it and see how it goes. So we hand tightened, waited 10 mins, torqued to 10ftlbs. then 10 mins later 18ftlbs. I figured as it was minute gasket we should not wait 24hours.

I am thoroughly pissed off as I know this is going to leak. I am going to order replacement gaskets - NOT EDELBROCK. And buy 4 tubes of RTV from different sources and write the date and purchase location on them so when it pisses coolant out the front again I can get right on it and sorted it within an hour.

I am also going to get a new intake manifold as it was pretty pitted around the coolant channels.

So not very happy right now... Going to do nothing to it tomorrow and get back to it on Thursday when I am less angry about the sub-par products I have had to deal with.

Grrrrrrr....

Well that was a disaster...

I got the manifold and engine nicely cleaned up. Then the bolts I had were too long and I had to run out and get the correct size..

When mating the Edelbrock 7220 gaskets (designed for Edelbrock 2181 manifold) to the engine it was a SHOCKING fit.... My friend could not believe it..

So we got the gaskets lined up on the engine as best we could. put a couple of studs in the block and then opened the black RTV Ultra. It was hard to get out fo the tube so I poked it a little and it started coming out. I prepped the corners and started laying the bead on the back and the RTV stopped flowing. I cleared the blockage and then squeezed some more out. Then the tube cracked and it started coming out of the side of the tube. By now what started as a nice even bead was ugly, ugly, ugly.

We had a hunt around and found another tube of "Minute gasket" in my garage. So we cleaned up as best we could and laid the bead on the front and back with that. Not optimal...

THEN my friend was lowering the intake down and he could not get it on the studs cleanly and it come down weird..

By this point I said we are kinda all in. There was RTV on the gaskets etc so it was pull it all apart and get more stuff or let's set it and see how it goes. So we hand tightened, waited 10 mins, torqued to 10ftlbs. then 10 mins later 18ftlbs. I figured as it was minute gasket we should not wait 24hours.

I am thoroughly pissed off as I know this is going to leak. I am going to order replacement gaskets - NOT EDELBROCK. And buy 4 tubes of RTV from different sources and write the date and purchase location on them so when it pisses coolant out the front again I can get right on it and sorted it within an hour.

I am also going to get a new intake manifold as it was pretty pitted around the coolant channels.

So not very happy right now... Going to do nothing to it tomorrow and get back to it on Thursday when I am less angry about the sub-par products I have had to deal with.

Grrrrrrr....

A pic. The valve covers are not secured yet.. it looks prettier in there, but damn I am in a foul mood!

947C988C-D977-4E36-B78C-38A2F9191ED6.jpeg.b99c4cba3cfa8eb8eacc6b03ddeb60ab.jpeg

A pic. The valve covers are not secured yet.. it looks prettier in there, but damn I am in a foul mood!

That does sound like a bit of a problem. What was wrong with the gaskets?

As for the alignment of the intake, Brandon/Bruno2 and I messed his installation up at least once if not twice using studs. I've never had that problem before, nor since, but we sure had it that day.

On the RTV, I like to start with fresh tubes on a project, but it sounds like you did and had a bad tube. Were you wearing gloves? I use the thin latex throw away gloves when I use RTV since it frequently gets on my hands and then all over everything. In that case I just change out the gloves.

Anyway, bummer! I hope you don't have any leaks, but from the description you might. :nabble_smiley_cry:

That does sound like a bit of a problem. What was wrong with the gaskets?

As for the alignment of the intake, Brandon/Bruno2 and I messed his installation up at least once if not twice using studs. I've never had that problem before, nor since, but we sure had it that day.

On the RTV, I like to start with fresh tubes on a project, but it sounds like you did and had a bad tube. Were you wearing gloves? I use the thin latex throw away gloves when I use RTV since it frequently gets on my hands and then all over everything. In that case I just change out the gloves.

Anyway, bummer! I hope you don't have any leaks, but from the description you might. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Even after a couple of glasses of whiskey last night I am still mad this morning!

The gaskets were just a really poor fit and took a lot of fiddling with to get them to line up. They were not labeled for which way round they should go and they stick out at the front of the engine as per the pic above. The little blocking pieces for the middle port (that was blocked with the old gasket and I have no idea why) did not fit properly and needed trimming too.

Any recommendation on gaskets? Need to order some replacements up ASAP.

I was wearing gloves, the issue was the RTV was bad and it was a brand new tube I had just opened...

Rant over!