Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Horrid Fate has a hydraulic press on sale for $150 right now.

They are always a worthy shop addition.

Let me grab the coupon...

I have nearly bought that press 10x in the last 12 months... It is my birthday in October.

Just picked up Espy. Not exactly impressed. I will explain.

My truck (Eunice in the profile pic). Is my benchmark. 1985, 5.0EFI AOD. Now, when I bought it the previous owner was proud to tell me it had a transgo kit installed. He was a mechanic for carafe. It meant nothing to me at the time. Maybe now it does.

Back to Espy.

The shift lever is super hard to move and find the right "spot" for OD. When in OD it is kinda vague and wants to slide down to D.

When driving, the first shift point is high, 4krpm! I need to drive her more and understand her shifting and note how she shifts on light throttle and and WOT. prob need a co pilot to make notes.

Kickdown is not smooth. Not like my truck.

When in OD engine RPMs are still higher than I wanted. I want to say 2500rpm at 55. closer to 3krpm at 65. I am still pretty mad so the red fog may be coloring me right now.

Eunice is more like 2krpm at 65 if I recall. I will know tomorrow when I take her for a spin.

I have a horrible feeling Espy is going back in and I would have lost all summer.

I have nearly bought that press 10x in the last 12 months... It is my birthday in October.

My truck (Eunice in the profile pic). Is my benchmark. 1985, 5.0EFI AOD. Now, when I bought it the previous owner was proud to tell me it had a transgo kit installed. He was a mechanic for carafe. It meant nothing to me at the time. Maybe now it does.

Back to Espy.

The shift lever is super hard to move and find the right "spot" for OD. When in OD it is kinda vague and wants to slide down to D.

When driving, the first shift point is high, 4krpm! I need to drive her more and understand her shifting and note how she shifts on light throttle and and WOT. prob need a co pilot to make notes.

When in OD engine RPMs are still higher than I wanted. I want to say 2500rpm at 55. closer to 3krpm at 65. I am still pretty mad so the red fog may be coloring me right now.

Eunice is more like 2krpm at 65 if I recall. I will know tomorrow when I take her for a spin.

I have a horrible feeling Espy is going back in and I would have lost all summer.

Sure sounds like the tv cable/rod isn't adjusted correctly.

Remind me what torque converter you have installed?

Sometimes it's better to cut your losses and move on.

But I don't have an answer for you.

Did they go for a drive with you before you accepted delivery?

Back to Espy.

Playing with our calculator (Documentation/Driveline/Calculators) the only way I can get an AOD to turn the engine close to 3k @ 65 MPH is to have 4.11 gears and be in 3rd gear. That way you'd be turning about 2900 RPM, assuming 31" tires.

I don't think you are getting into OD. Yes, Espy needs to go back. BUMMER!

Playing with our calculator (Documentation/Driveline/Calculators) the only way I can get an AOD to turn the engine close to 3k @ 65 MPH is to have 4.11 gears and be in 3rd gear. That way you'd be turning about 2900 RPM, assuming 31" tires.

I don't think you are getting into OD. Yes, Espy needs to go back. BUMMER!

No acceptance test drive. That did surprise me.

Part of me was wondering how much I was getting hung up on how she drove before, how the truck drives and I assumed the two would now be exactly the same. That is not going to happen, the truck has had its tranny messed with and a 8.8 rear end. They are not going to feel the same and I have to stop that comparison.

So I just drove around with the dog for a bit, got a coffee and just tried to focus on how she felt driving and not stare at the speedo and tach. In that regard Espy felt fine.

Going to try that for a couple of days and then on Sunday actually look at tach/speedo and all that.

And yes, 31inch tires, C6 torque converter (no idea of any of the torque convert specs or gear ratios in the AOD)..

The saga continues..

No acceptance test drive. That did surprise me.

Part of me was wondering how much I was getting hung up on how she drove before, how the truck drives and I assumed the two would now be exactly the same. That is not going to happen, the truck has had its tranny messed with and a 8.8 rear end. They are not going to feel the same and I have to stop that comparison.

So I just drove around with the dog for a bit, got a coffee and just tried to focus on how she felt driving and not stare at the speedo and tach. In that regard Espy felt fine.

Going to try that for a couple of days and then on Sunday actually look at tach/speedo and all that.

And yes, 31inch tires, C6 torque converter (no idea of any of the torque convert specs or gear ratios in the AOD)..

The saga continues..

Found out this morning the back up lights only come on in Park and Neutral.

How did they mess that up?

When cold the AOD will only shift into OD at 55mph. Once warmed up that come down a little but never down to 45. I know my electric choke is holding on a little long so will dial that back.

Found out this morning the back up lights only come on in Park and Neutral.

How did they mess that up?

When cold the AOD will only shift into OD at 55mph. Once warmed up that come down a little but never down to 45. I know my electric choke is holding on a little long so will dial that back.

Neutral safety switch is mis-wired.

These guys really are hacks! :nabble_smiley_angry:

I wouldn't trust them with my tricycle.

Neutral safety switch is mis-wired.

These guys really are hacks! :nabble_smiley_angry:

I wouldn't trust them with my tricycle.

Oh boy, this has been a rough day.

Something positive, I changed the rods and primary jets to stage one lean and back the choke off, engine is a lot happier, not running as rich.

Set the crossovers on the speakers so the stereo is performing as it should now.

Ordered a PRNDD1 shif indicator off fleabay.

Less positive, transmission slips. Mainly when pulling away slowly or accelerating slowly shifting 2-3.

Spoke to them this morning, sent a long email listing all I have noticed, Espy going back in Monday 8am.

Sorry for the unusually negative posts.

Something positive, I changed the rods and primary jets to stage one lean and back the choke off, engine is a lot happier, not running as rich.

Set the crossovers on the speakers so the stereo is performing as it should now.

Less positive, transmission slips. Mainly when pulling away slowly or accelerating slowly shifting 2-3.

Spoke to them this morning, sent a long email listing all I have noticed, Espy going back in Monday 8am.

I can understand your negative comments. I'd be there as well. In fact, I have been - the first body man ripped me off for $6k on Dad's truck. I was SICK! And I probably told a lot a people about it. So I do understand. Hopefully they will make it right.

But at least you had some positive steps, getting the carb and crossover set, and the shift indicator on order.

Hang in there, it will eventually work out. But it isn't fun while it is happening.

I can understand your negative comments. I'd be there as well. In fact, I have been - the first body man ripped me off for $6k on Dad's truck. I was SICK! And I probably told a lot a people about it. So I do understand. Hopefully they will make it right.

But at least you had some positive steps, getting the carb and crossover set, and the shift indicator on order.

Hang in there, it will eventually work out. But it isn't fun while it is happening.

Cheers Gary. I am naturally a very upbeat person. But about once a year something happens and boy do i go down the path with it.

While i was under Espy i noticed the transfer case has not been touched but has new front and rear driveshafts.

Remember when i took it in they said they were going to need a new input shaft and i was asking here about it, the consensus was that shouldn’t be the case...

So something has gone really wrong here and i will get to the bottom of it. $2800 for an aod transmission and 2 drive shafts is criminal.

86A97B43-9741-4039-B99E-744976821524.jpeg.2b0e57934df6c6b5211e4ee375b69549.jpeg

98E4D424-6448-4511-8AAA-6CB9B0B6C438.jpeg.637ba917ee584f2bdd131869705b1da1.jpeg

There's no need to apologize.

We've all been there....

If you need some documentation to back your case you're in the best place on the planet (at this time)

So they've chumped the wiring, the TV adjustment, and what else?

How can we support you?