Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had forgotten. You are right, Espy is highly-optioned. :nabble_smiley_good:

I probably should add the AC update info here to keep track. I do have a question or two at the end!

I picked up a compressor, mounting bracket, the missing high side hose, accumulator and pressure switch along with a battery tray for the princely sum of $35. Bargain if it all fits and works! I am also assuming all the wiring in Espy is good... I should prob test it somehow.

DFC75DDE-4CDE-4C80-8C40-984513805433.jpeg.41e19669ae0da94ecdffb17472b9750f.jpeg

On order I have a r134a retrofit kit that has valves, washers and gaskets. A new four seasons 33188 accumulator and pressure switch as well as a new four seasons 38635 red orifice.

I will go to harbor freight and get an AC manifold and vacuum pump, then hit up autozone for r134a and PAG46 oil.

My question is - how much r134a do I use and how much oil do I use?

I probably should add the AC update info here to keep track. I do have a question or two at the end!

I picked up a compressor, mounting bracket, the missing high side hose, accumulator and pressure switch along with a battery tray for the princely sum of $35. Bargain if it all fits and works! I am also assuming all the wiring in Espy is good... I should prob test it somehow.

On order I have a r134a retrofit kit that has valves, washers and gaskets. A new four seasons 33188 accumulator and pressure switch as well as a new four seasons 38635 red orifice.

I will go to harbor freight and get an AC manifold and vacuum pump, then hit up autozone for r134a and PAG46 oil.

My question is - how much r134a do I use and how much oil do I use?

Starting to think that mounting bracket was not from a 351/302.. I will clean it up later and find out... There were lots of engines at the breakers so I can always go hunting again later...

Also, the retrofit kit contains oil, so one less thing to worry about.

When it comes to the R134 I will use 2 ways to tell if the system is charged.

1. Use the rule of thumb for 85% of the original R12 capacity.

2. Stick a thermometer in the air vent and see when the temp gets to 45F

Unless anyone has any other guidance.

Starting to think that mounting bracket was not from a 351/302.. I will clean it up later and find out... There were lots of engines at the breakers so I can always go hunting again later...

Also, the retrofit kit contains oil, so one less thing to worry about.

When it comes to the R134 I will use 2 ways to tell if the system is charged.

1. Use the rule of thumb for 85% of the original R12 capacity.

2. Stick a thermometer in the air vent and see when the temp gets to 45F

Unless anyone has any other guidance.

Pressure.

http://acprocold.com/faq/r-134a-system-pressure-chart/

Edit: there’s more charts out there with lower temperatures if you need it.

Thank you, that helps me tremendously!

Low on juice today... so all i got done:

1. Checked the AC bracket from the wreckers fits, it does so I cleaned it up.

2. Washed and waxed Espy

3. Got the rust off the “new” battery tray and painted it.

Pics for fun!

DD93C320-DCAD-455F-9E36-7040EA915ED2.thumb.jpeg.38b536a878a1e83556f838a35690d79f.jpeg

176FDCFA-54E3-462F-9E2A-B9E7B4ED2807.jpeg.5f37d7ec665d3cf068cc931606a9702c.jpeg

C0FDDDF4-79D7-48DE-B7E8-D040B61834F5.thumb.jpeg.8c46be8af39f95eaaa4b7d3917ec8620.jpeg

2. Washed and waxed Espy

Pics for fun!

Very clean and the pup looks good! :nabble_smiley_grin:

2. Washed and waxed Espy

Pics for fun!

That's a pretty good list from my standpoint. Well done!

That's a pretty good list from my standpoint. Well done!

More progress!!!

I removed the fuel regulator and re-routed the fuel line. Once that was done I managed to get the AC compressor and associated brackets installed.

While i I was in there i replaced the power steering belt (i did the alternator one recently).

Now i need to work out the wiring as the harness has been butchered.

The new accumulator and r134a kit will arrive during the week.

I noticed the accumulator in the Bronco is different to the one from the breakers so i am not sure how this will all pan out. I will post pics tomorrow comparing them..311CB800-6055-4D7B-89B2-B5C81F720EA5.thumb.jpeg.fe9b6b33e228df138f9ea95a93183417.jpeg

Also swapped the boot on the steering stabilizer for a blue one..

5A4690F8-2147-4DE4-A6B0-CF746584DD09.thumb.jpeg.bfb2df76b36858cedf5eeccf54a11977.jpeg

More progress!!!

I removed the fuel regulator and re-routed the fuel line. Once that was done I managed to get the AC compressor and associated brackets installed.

While i I was in there i replaced the power steering belt (i did the alternator one recently).

Now i need to work out the wiring as the harness has been butchered.

The new accumulator and r134a kit will arrive during the week.

I noticed the accumulator in the Bronco is different to the one from the breakers so i am not sure how this will all pan out. I will post pics tomorrow comparing them..

Also swapped the boot on the steering stabilizer for a blue one..

Blue looks to be your color. I guess I should have know - Gsmblue. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But it is looking good. However, I'm curious what differences you've found with the accumulators.