Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Well that was a disaster...

I got the manifold and engine nicely cleaned up. Then the bolts I had were too long and I had to run out and get the correct size..

When mating the Edelbrock 7220 gaskets (designed for Edelbrock 2181 manifold) to the engine it was a SHOCKING fit.... My friend could not believe it..

So we got the gaskets lined up on the engine as best we could. put a couple of studs in the block and then opened the black RTV Ultra. It was hard to get out fo the tube so I poked it a little and it started coming out. I prepped the corners and started laying the bead on the back and the RTV stopped flowing. I cleared the blockage and then squeezed some more out. Then the tube cracked and it started coming out of the side of the tube. By now what started as a nice even bead was ugly, ugly, ugly.

We had a hunt around and found another tube of "Minute gasket" in my garage. So we cleaned up as best we could and laid the bead on the front and back with that. Not optimal...

THEN my friend was lowering the intake down and he could not get it on the studs cleanly and it come down weird..

By this point I said we are kinda all in. There was RTV on the gaskets etc so it was pull it all apart and get more stuff or let's set it and see how it goes. So we hand tightened, waited 10 mins, torqued to 10ftlbs. then 10 mins later 18ftlbs. I figured as it was minute gasket we should not wait 24hours.

I am thoroughly pissed off as I know this is going to leak. I am going to order replacement gaskets - NOT EDELBROCK. And buy 4 tubes of RTV from different sources and write the date and purchase location on them so when it pisses coolant out the front again I can get right on it and sorted it within an hour.

I am also going to get a new intake manifold as it was pretty pitted around the coolant channels.

So not very happy right now... Going to do nothing to it tomorrow and get back to it on Thursday when I am less angry about the sub-par products I have had to deal with.

Grrrrrrr....

Just for reference, this is my rant about those edelbrock gaskets:

Well that was a disaster...

I got the manifold and engine nicely cleaned up. Then the bolts I had were too long and I had to run out and get the correct size..

When mating the Edelbrock 7220 gaskets (designed for Edelbrock 2181 manifold) to the engine it was a SHOCKING fit.... My friend could not believe it..

So we got the gaskets lined up on the engine as best we could. put a couple of studs in the block and then opened the black RTV Ultra. It was hard to get out fo the tube so I poked it a little and it started coming out. I prepped the corners and started laying the bead on the back and the RTV stopped flowing. I cleared the blockage and then squeezed some more out. Then the tube cracked and it started coming out of the side of the tube. By now what started as a nice even bead was ugly, ugly, ugly.

We had a hunt around and found another tube of "Minute gasket" in my garage. So we cleaned up as best we could and laid the bead on the front and back with that. Not optimal...

THEN my friend was lowering the intake down and he could not get it on the studs cleanly and it come down weird..

By this point I said we are kinda all in. There was RTV on the gaskets etc so it was pull it all apart and get more stuff or let's set it and see how it goes. So we hand tightened, waited 10 mins, torqued to 10ftlbs. then 10 mins later 18ftlbs. I figured as it was minute gasket we should not wait 24hours.

I am thoroughly pissed off as I know this is going to leak. I am going to order replacement gaskets - NOT EDELBROCK. And buy 4 tubes of RTV from different sources and write the date and purchase location on them so when it pisses coolant out the front again I can get right on it and sorted it within an hour.

I am also going to get a new intake manifold as it was pretty pitted around the coolant channels.

So not very happy right now... Going to do nothing to it tomorrow and get back to it on Thursday when I am less angry about the sub-par products I have had to deal with.

Grrrrrrr....

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good find, but I have never heard of using water to find a leak like that.

I had no starter fluid handy, so I guess this a riskier alternative, the sound goes away and the revs drop. I probably used 1/2 cup of water and about 1/8 of that got sucked in... Espy is on bed rest for a few days! I skip town on Sunday for a week due to work so I am pushing to get as much done before then as I can, so when I get back I can enjoy driving her!

Cool! And I learned something new!

Cheers Gary! These pesky onions!

My wife was sweet, she said “this is exactly why you have these trucks, so you get to be tested and play.”

I nearly said “just like you!” But caught myself in time :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Any-who, I have the bolts from the last round of gasket fun, funny thing, I recall my friend that helped at the time was a mechanic and he dropped the intake and messed up the RTV and we had to do a second take!

Maybe this time I will ask my friend who is an EMT to help!:nabble_smiley_good:

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,....

You should be very joyful! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, maybe the friend that is an EMT. Hopefully they've been trained to be more careful?

Cheers Gary! These pesky onions!

My wife was sweet, she said “this is exactly why you have these trucks, so you get to be tested and play.”

I nearly said “just like you!” But caught myself in time :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Any-who, I have the bolts from the last round of gasket fun, funny thing, I recall my friend that helped at the time was a mechanic and he dropped the intake and messed up the RTV and we had to do a second take!

Maybe this time I will ask my friend who is an EMT to help!:nabble_smiley_good:

James 1:2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,....

You should be very joyful! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, maybe the friend that is an EMT. Hopefully they've been trained to be more careful?

Well, not the kinda progress I was hoping for. I only managed to change out the driver side rear anti sway link and bushings. I didn’t have the stomach to tackle the intake.

However, I did get an eBay score, a used rear window defrost switch, mine has a broken bezel that has been annoying me for ages, $50 well spent.. been an expensive 2 weeks with Espy!

Well, not the kinda progress I was hoping for. I only managed to change out the driver side rear anti sway link and bushings. I didn’t have the stomach to tackle the intake.

However, I did get an eBay score, a used rear window defrost switch, mine has a broken bezel that has been annoying me for ages, $50 well spent.. been an expensive 2 weeks with Espy!

Oh, and door pockets... as I said before, not the right year but the wife is fine with them.

1752209C-5DEC-49A5-916A-C1506CB17626.jpeg.ddc72cfc5fbebfa21a342f992fd2f750.jpeg

I understand on the intake. It takes gathering up all my gumption to do something like that - for the second or third time. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, you did get some things done, and that has to feel good. Keep on keeping on - and get your EMT friend over. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I understand on the intake. It takes gathering up all my gumption to do something like that - for the second or third time. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, you did get some things done, and that has to feel good. Keep on keeping on - and get your EMT friend over. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ha! I called her a princess once, guess how that worked out for me:nabble_smiley_what:

I have to tackle this bloody intake tonight.. At least remove everything and get it cleaned up. I couldn't find the studs I used last time so that is another thing to take care of.

At least I get to pick up the new front seats today. I will probably spend most of the night cleaning them up in the house :)

I am really chewing through my list now, shame I have to skip town for a week :(

Ha! I called her a princess once, guess how that worked out for me:nabble_smiley_what:

I have to tackle this bloody intake tonight.. At least remove everything and get it cleaned up. I couldn't find the studs I used last time so that is another thing to take care of.

At least I get to pick up the new front seats today. I will probably spend most of the night cleaning them up in the house :)

I am really chewing through my list now, shame I have to skip town for a week :(

The new seats! This is after 1.5hrs of cleaning with my carpet cleaner. I will spare you the before pics, they were gross!!! The passenger seat is hardly used, the driver seat has expected wear. They will do for now and will look fine when i het the covers on them.

As the weather is not cooperating to allow me to fix the intake manifold I will install these tomorrow and tackle a radius arm bushing. Luckily Espy has bolt on brackets so it should be ok..

2093BB0C-9380-4B6C-9DF5-63DBB55F9A7E.jpeg.cc07da92bf57adac59557d02b32d491b.jpeg

The new seats! This is after 1.5hrs of cleaning with my carpet cleaner. I will spare you the before pics, they were gross!!! The passenger seat is hardly used, the driver seat has expected wear. They will do for now and will look fine when i het the covers on them.

As the weather is not cooperating to allow me to fix the intake manifold I will install these tomorrow and tackle a radius arm bushing. Luckily Espy has bolt on brackets so it should be ok..

I'm curious how comfortable those seats are. I have a pair for Dad's truck, all nicely upholstered. But I've toyed with the idea of installing them in Big Blue if we are going to take some long trips in him as I think they'd beat the bench seat hands-down.

But yours are going to look great! Show us pics with the covers on.