Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 10-12" stainless piano hinge if you want it.

Espy is looking great for springtime! :nabble_smiley_good:

Less that a month to go...

I think I have a 6ft section somewhere too! and yes, this is the big push for spring time, Espy rides again :)

The more I dig into this noise issue, the less happy I am.

I can confirm it is not the belts or the alternator now.

Having checked all the vacuum lines many times I do not think it is those.

So I went back to the water test just now. I poured some water slowly on the passenger side of the intake manifold at the base of the carb and the water just washed right in and the sound went! I could poor enough in there to almost stall the engine!

I was never happy with those edlebrock gaskets, they did not seem a great fit. I really don't want to have to pull the intake again, that was a pain and it takes 2 people to reseat it, but I think long term that is what I have to do :(

Any thoughts?

The more I dig into this noise issue, the less happy I am.

I can confirm it is not the belts or the alternator now.

Having checked all the vacuum lines many times I do not think it is those.

So I went back to the water test just now. I poured some water slowly on the passenger side of the intake manifold at the base of the carb and the water just washed right in and the sound went! I could poor enough in there to almost stall the engine!

I was never happy with those edlebrock gaskets, they did not seem a great fit. I really don't want to have to pull the intake again, that was a pain and it takes 2 people to reseat it, but I think long term that is what I have to do :(

Any thoughts?

Is the water going in at the base of the carb? Or between the intake and the head? Or somewhere else?

If at the base of the carb, as what you said suggests, then I wouldn't think the intake needs to come off.

Can you squirt some ether around and pinpoint it? (Normally I'd suggest brake cleaner or carb cleaner, but I'm remembering your engine being painted up nicely, and they aren't kind to paint.)

Is the water going in at the base of the carb? Or between the intake and the head? Or somewhere else?

If at the base of the carb, as what you said suggests, then I wouldn't think the intake needs to come off.

Can you squirt some ether around and pinpoint it? (Normally I'd suggest brake cleaner or carb cleaner, but I'm remembering your engine being painted up nicely, and they aren't kind to paint.)

It is between the intake and the head.

I found a video online where someone had a similar problem. at 5.56 you can see the gasket failure..

Fel-Pro 1250S3 gaskets have been ordered and I can pick them up from the store tomorrow. I guess tomorrow afternoon/evening is going to be a messy one... Need to hoodwink a friend to help!

I found a video online where someone had a similar problem. at 5.56 you can see the gasket failure..

Fel-Pro 1250S3 gaskets have been ordered and I can pick them up from the store tomorrow. I guess tomorrow afternoon/evening is going to be a messy one... Need to hoodwink a friend to help!

Good find, but I have never heard of using water to find a leak like that.

Wow, that's crazy.

I guess there's a good reason I always use print-o-seal gaskets.

Why mess with success?

I'm glad you've found it before the lean condition damaged your engine.

Wow, that's crazy.

I guess there's a good reason I always use print-o-seal gaskets.

Why mess with success?

I'm glad you've found it before the lean condition damaged your engine.

Crazy stuff right! The SAME Edlebrock gaskets I complain about on about page 3 of this thread! So I have new gel-pro gaskets on order and will pick them up tomorrow and get that all straightened out with a few beers after work - if I can find a willing helper.

Today had some small successes though:

1. Replaced rear passenger side sway link and bushings.

2. Installed door pockets (at last, I think they are the wrong year but I have had them for over a year!)

3. Removed the 6/9 speakers

4. Ordered on eBay the rear stereo speaker kit that is NOS and has new grey grills. I only need the grills so if anyone wants the wires, the frames or the speakers let me know (E7TZ-18814-B) don't ask how much I paid it is embarrassing... I have been looking for rear grills for nearly 2 years...

5. This is the big one. Found decent from seats at the breakers! $100 for the pair, tall back captain chairs with both arm rests. They are tan but that is ok. I paid for them today and I will pull them tomorrow, clean them up and put my fun covers on them :)

phew. That is all for now. My wife will enjoy driving this car all summer or one of them will have to go!:nabble_anim_blbl:

I had no starter fluid handy, so I guess this a riskier alternative, the sound goes away and the revs drop. I probably used 1/2 cup of water and about 1/8 of that got sucked in... Espy is on bed rest for a few days! I skip town on Sunday for a week due to work so I am pushing to get as much done before then as I can, so when I get back I can enjoy driving her!

I had no starter fluid handy, so I guess this a riskier alternative, the sound goes away and the revs drop. I probably used 1/2 cup of water and about 1/8 of that got sucked in... Espy is on bed rest for a few days! I skip town on Sunday for a week due to work so I am pushing to get as much done before then as I can, so when I get back I can enjoy driving her!

Good luck on the gaskets. You do use long bolts with the heads cut off as guide pins, right? I put them in the 4 corners and they ensure the intake goes down squarely.

But, I'm here to tell you that it can still go down lower on one side than the other, so make sure it seems to go down level. Don't ask. :nabble_smiley_blush:

And, a friend is a huge help in this.

Last, congrat's on all the things you got done. And especially the seats. I think those are going to be very comfortable. I have a pair for Dad's truck - but haven't even sat in them yet. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Good luck on the gaskets. You do use long bolts with the heads cut off as guide pins, right? I put them in the 4 corners and they ensure the intake goes down squarely.

But, I'm here to tell you that it can still go down lower on one side than the other, so make sure it seems to go down level. Don't ask. :nabble_smiley_blush:

And, a friend is a huge help in this.

Last, congrat's on all the things you got done. And especially the seats. I think those are going to be very comfortable. I have a pair for Dad's truck - but haven't even sat in them yet. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Cheers Gary! These pesky onions!

My wife was sweet, she said “this is exactly why you have these trucks, so you get to be tested and play.”

I nearly said “just like you!” But caught myself in time :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Any-who, I have the bolts from the last round of gasket fun, funny thing, I recall my friend that helped at the time was a mechanic and he dropped the intake and messed up the RTV and we had to do a second take!

Maybe this time I will ask my friend who is an EMT to help!:nabble_smiley_good: