Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

I managed to do something serious done, not just play time...

I got all the bushings on the front anti-sway bar switched out. Removing that old rubber was a pain, lots of drilling... i need a shop press!

I did the bar and link bushings, here is a pic of the links.

Next up will be the rear bar tomorrow and maybe the control arms up front too... time is not on my side though..

And just for fun, a clean rear end!

Just drove Espy, what a difference those front bushings make! I am chomping at the bit to do the rear now! Should have the parts tomorrow.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HVAC system can make some odd noises. I've heard buzzing and hissing, for sure. You might want to pull the vacuum line going into the cab and plug it to see if the noise goes away. The line probably comes off of the plastic manifold on the firewall and to the passenger's side where it hits a check valve and tee. One side of the tee goes to a reservoir, and the other into the cab.

Be careful as some of those lines are brittle and snap easily. But if you pull the line off of the check valve and plug the line you should be ok.

With regards to my defrost not working, the vacuum is good both in the cab and the engine bay. I can see the vacuum motors operating correctly, so my conclusion is the flaps in the ducts are broken.

How on earth are you supposed to service them? Is it a full dash removal?

With regards to my defrost not working, the vacuum is good both in the cab and the engine bay. I can see the vacuum motors operating correctly, so my conclusion is the flaps in the ducts are broken.

How on earth are you supposed to service them? Is it a full dash removal?

Somewhere Jonathan has a how-to on replacing the blend door's hinge. And I'm not finding it. Perhaps you can? But you don't have to remove the dash, although it isn't fun.

Anyway, glad the bushing help. Maybe you can get the rest of them done tomorrow.

Somewhere Jonathan has a how-to on replacing the blend door's hinge. And I'm not finding it. Perhaps you can? But you don't have to remove the dash, although it isn't fun.

Anyway, glad the bushing help. Maybe you can get the rest of them done tomorrow.

It’s hardly a write up, but I do have some pictures of how I fixed mine on page 4 of my project thread for the ‘81. I made the hinge out of a spare glove box door hinge because that’s what I had laying around:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1981-straight-six-manual-4x4-project-td1312i60.html

It’s hardly a write up, but I do have some pictures of how I fixed mine on page 4 of my project thread for the ‘81. I made the hinge out of a spare glove box door hinge because that’s what I had laying around:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1981-straight-six-manual-4x4-project-td1312i60.html

Thanks for the input, if I read correctly, the blend door is for heat control. That is working fine, what is not working as far as I can tell is the flap attached to the diverter that controls flow to the dash vents.

Thanks for the input, if I read correctly, the blend door is for heat control. That is working fine, what is not working as far as I can tell is the flap attached to the diverter that controls flow to the dash vents.

I have a 10-12" stainless piano hinge if you want it.

Espy is looking great for springtime! :nabble_smiley_good:

Less that a month to go...

You can see quite a bit of the action going on with the vacuum motors by looking up under the dash or pulling the glove box liner and looking through there. Hopefully you can see what is happening - or not - and maybe it is an easier fix than the blend door.

I would try removing the padded dash pad, it’s just a few screws, then loosen or remove the vent and defrost ducts. I pulled an amazing amount of junk out of mine. The door may just be obstructed and unable to move. I was glad I cleaned it all out anyway just for better air flow and cleanliness. I had my whole dash shell out because I was swapping it for a better one, but you should be able to gain enough access from underneath and on top with the pad off.

I would try removing the padded dash pad, it’s just a few screws, then loosen or remove the vent and defrost ducts. I pulled an amazing amount of junk out of mine. The door may just be obstructed and unable to move. I was glad I cleaned it all out anyway just for better air flow and cleanliness. I had my whole dash shell out because I was swapping it for a better one, but you should be able to gain enough access from underneath and on top with the pad off.

I read in your thread about the all the junk you pulled out! You have a great point there.

The dash pad is loose so I can pull that easily and I will see what I can do from the top and the limited access underneath.

I do have a replacement dash, kick panels and a pillar covers that I picked up from the breakers, my dash currently has a bunch of extra holes in it from the previous owner. So when I put that in later in the spring I can really pull the cab apart and get into those ducts, apply more sound deadening etc.

Espy is indeed getting ready for a good long summer, my wife is excited to drive her, hence all the work that is going on. I really need to get that steering box ordered up as that will be the last piece needed for 'drivability". I need to get back to my lists so I can prioritize the rest...

You can see quite a bit of the action going on with the vacuum motors by looking up under the dash or pulling the glove box liner and looking through there. Hopefully you can see what is happening - or not - and maybe it is an easier fix than the blend door.

Thanks Gary, As far as I can tell the motors shift back and forth nicely...