Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Progress! You are on a roll. And tomorrow will go well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Happy New Year!

I had to take a couple of months off from the trucks... I have been completing the build of my house... Now the end is in sight for that I can start planning spring time work on the trucks...

It is pretty cold out here at the moment and I do not have an indoor work space. This really limits what I can do for now.

The colder weather has had the electric choke on longer than I would like, so I need to adjust that. This also brings up the issue of the rich idle. I have a bigger aircleaner on the way so when that arrives this week I will tackle the idle mix and electric choke.

One question for the group: The tach seems to work 100% in the cool weather - below 40F. But when it gets warm it decides not to work. I picked up some contact cleaner and will try and clean the dash connector area with it.. But if anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year!

I had to take a couple of months off from the trucks... I have been completing the build of my house... Now the end is in sight for that I can start planning spring time work on the trucks...

It is pretty cold out here at the moment and I do not have an indoor work space. This really limits what I can do for now.

The colder weather has had the electric choke on longer than I would like, so I need to adjust that. This also brings up the issue of the rich idle. I have a bigger aircleaner on the way so when that arrives this week I will tackle the idle mix and electric choke.

One question for the group: The tach seems to work 100% in the cool weather - below 40F. But when it gets warm it decides not to work. I picked up some contact cleaner and will try and clean the dash connector area with it.. But if anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

Early 85 still had the closed, non-integral circuit style tach (with the closed back). Late 85/86 got the integral circuit ones with the open back. The old style seems to have a lot of problems sticking when cold. Many of the junkyard units that I have pulled do not pass the refrigerator test. I have not found a cure. Everything I’ve done to try to free up the needle works seems to make it worse. It seems to be in the mechanical movement itself, not the electronics. I have managed to destroy a rare 4K tachometer face with cleaner, and gum up some needle works with lube and graphite. I found out you DON’T want to put anything in the needle bushing. At all. My suspicion is that the metal surfaces may oxidize from lack of use, and the expansion/contraction in cold weather is just enough to make the needle stick. I hate to say it, but the only solution I know is to replace the tach with one that does not stick, preferably one of the later integral circuit ones. I’m sure I still have a couple of these... but it will probably take me some time before I can dig them out. I moved our stuff out of storage and into the pump house at our new place but it’s a bit of a mess 🙄

Early 85 still had the closed, non-integral circuit style tach (with the closed back). Late 85/86 got the integral circuit ones with the open back. The old style seems to have a lot of problems sticking when cold. Many of the junkyard units that I have pulled do not pass the refrigerator test. I have not found a cure. Everything I’ve done to try to free up the needle works seems to make it worse. It seems to be in the mechanical movement itself, not the electronics. I have managed to destroy a rare 4K tachometer face with cleaner, and gum up some needle works with lube and graphite. I found out you DON’T want to put anything in the needle bushing. At all. My suspicion is that the metal surfaces may oxidize from lack of use, and the expansion/contraction in cold weather is just enough to make the needle stick. I hate to say it, but the only solution I know is to replace the tach with one that does not stick, preferably one of the later integral circuit ones. I’m sure I still have a couple of these... but it will probably take me some time before I can dig them out. I moved our stuff out of storage and into the pump house at our new place but it’s a bit of a mess 🙄

Thanks for the reply, the problem I have is the tach will only work when cold, so the opposite of what you describe! As this is in an '82 it is a closed back.

Happy New Year!

Welcome back, Kotter! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, it is cold out there, and not conducive to working on a truck outdoors. And, it does keep the choke on longer. Usually takes a bit of adjusting for me to get one dialed in just right.

But, I've not had a tach quit when cold. Like Jonathan, I've had them quit hot. Good luck w/that.

Completing the house? Will you have inside work space when it is done?

Maybe, kinda... I have an attached RV garage/shop that is about 850sqft. But I have my Airstream and a bunch of junk there right now. It is possible I can use the side garage door "7ft x 7ft" to bring a vehicle in to work on, but I think the Bronco is al little tall and the truck a little long..

We were going to convert the old living room (600sqft) to a 2 car garage, but decided to leave it as a bonus room/man cave type space.. That may change later.

Long term plan is a pole barn shop on the property... but not for a few years...

Maybe, kinda... I have an attached RV garage/shop that is about 850sqft. But I have my Airstream and a bunch of junk there right now. It is possible I can use the side garage door "7ft x 7ft" to bring a vehicle in to work on, but I think the Bronco is al little tall and the truck a little long..

We were going to convert the old living room (600sqft) to a 2 car garage, but decided to leave it as a bonus room/man cave type space.. That may change later.

Long term plan is a pole barn shop on the property... but not for a few years...

LMK when the padded envelope arrives.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm jealous! Espy looks like FUN!

Summer is here and the top is off Espy.

I cleaned up some of the bodywork with a synthetic clay bar and applied a ceramic waxing product. I was helping a friend house hunt this weekend and we got stopped a ton for people to talk about Espy!

She is running pretty rich, I have not put the fuel regulator in yet, but I just ordered up the jet and rod kit for the Edelbrock 1406 and hopefully this week I can take care of both of those.

Still hunting for a friend locally with a shop press so I can tend to the rear axle.

In the mean time, here is a shot of last night outside the ice cream parlor.

IMG_3323.jpg.0796ee71c26fed78f23c77d135cd3656.jpg