Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Hopefully the new head unit will come with decent wires. Those in Big Blue are a joke. So small and yet the head unit claims big wattage - which would never flow through those wires.

Clock wiring is here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/digital-clock.html

Anyway, sounds like good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

Holy smokes that was fast! Thank you. Now I need to understand what I am looking at, probably a tomorrow activity...

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the new head unit will come with decent wires. Those in Big Blue are a joke. So small and yet the head unit claims big wattage - which would never flow through those wires.

Clock wiring is here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/digital-clock.html

Anyway, sounds like good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the head unit.. yeah, the wires get thinner every year!

I was trolling email when the notification came in, and I know right where I've put the '81 EVTM, so a quick response was easy. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I just bought the 81 EVTM on ebay, clearly a useful resource, it will help enormously with my electrics issues.

I just bought the 81 EVTM on ebay, clearly a useful resource, it will help enormously with my electrics issues.

While I think buying an EVTM rather than relying on my on-line versions is a good idea since you can put your fingers in pages and flip back and forth, I'm not sure a 1981 version is the best for you. I say that because it will not contain any info on Eunice's EFI system. But it will work very well for the issues with Espy.

To explain what little I know of EVTM's:

• 1980: The wiring for these trucks had some differences to 1981 and later trucks, especially in the instrument wiring

• 1981: The first of the "standard" wiring for the Bullnose trucks, but doesn't contain anything about EFI and probably has very little about the EEC-III or IV ECM

• 1982: Pretty heavy into EEC systems, feedback carbs, etc

• 1983: Should have the first of the 460's and diesels, but the pages on the 460's will be the first iteration of the evolving fuel system.

• 1984: The hot-fuel handling package on the 460 should show up as well as TFI ignitions. But DS-II is still shown for 351HO's and 460's.

• 1985: Probably much the same as the '84 EVTM, although there may be another iteration on 460's fuel system. But I don't think this one gets into the 1985.5 changes to the fuel systems.

• 1986: The first thing to note is that for '86 Ford did away with the dots and hash marks on the wiring, so this version of the EVTM may be confusing if used on earlier trucks. However, there really isn't that much change as the dots and hash marks just became stripes. Also, this one should have the mid-year changes to the fuel systems with, if I remember correctly, the elimination of the 6-port valve.

In addition to all of that, there was a change to the clock wiring some place in there. And, there were new radios, tape decks, and CB's added over the years. So, the earlier EVTM's may not show some options that were on later trucks.

While I think buying an EVTM rather than relying on my on-line versions is a good idea since you can put your fingers in pages and flip back and forth, I'm not sure a 1981 version is the best for you. I say that because it will not contain any info on Eunice's EFI system. But it will work very well for the issues with Espy.

To explain what little I know of EVTM's:

• 1980: The wiring for these trucks had some differences to 1981 and later trucks, especially in the instrument wiring

• 1981: The first of the "standard" wiring for the Bullnose trucks, but doesn't contain anything about EFI and probably has very little about the EEC-III or IV ECM

• 1982: Pretty heavy into EEC systems, feedback carbs, etc

• 1983: Should have the first of the 460's and diesels, but the pages on the 460's will be the first iteration of the evolving fuel system.

• 1984: The hot-fuel handling package on the 460 should show up as well as TFI ignitions. But DS-II is still shown for 351HO's and 460's.

• 1985: Probably much the same as the '84 EVTM, although there may be another iteration on 460's fuel system. But I don't think this one gets into the 1985.5 changes to the fuel systems.

• 1986: The first thing to note is that for '86 Ford did away with the dots and hash marks on the wiring, so this version of the EVTM may be confusing if used on earlier trucks. However, there really isn't that much change as the dots and hash marks just became stripes. Also, this one should have the mid-year changes to the fuel systems with, if I remember correctly, the elimination of the 6-port valve.

In addition to all of that, there was a change to the clock wiring some place in there. And, there were new radios, tape decks, and CB's added over the years. So, the earlier EVTM's may not show some options that were on later trucks.

Thanks Gary. Good points.

I picked up the 1981 EVTM for about $15. Like you said, it is so much easier to have a book in hand when working on these things.

Inevitably I will pick up the 1986 for Eunice. Although she is running perfectly right now, I would like to have the EVTM on hand just in case!

Also - ordered up door hinge pins.. I hate changing them out but they make a huge difference...

Thanks Gary. Good points.

I picked up the 1981 EVTM for about $15. Like you said, it is so much easier to have a book in hand when working on these things.

Inevitably I will pick up the 1986 for Eunice. Although she is running perfectly right now, I would like to have the EVTM on hand just in case!

Also - ordered up door hinge pins.. I hate changing them out but they make a huge difference...

Didn’t get to do much this weekend, but here is the update for the last few days is:

Pulled the trim out of the cab and painted with colorbond blue from LMC. Second can ordered, should have got more!

Pulled headliner out. It is missing headliner material but is mostly in one piece. Ordered navy blue diamond pattern padded vinyl for it.

Pulled the dash pad out, that thing is a disaster. Not sure what to do there. Cleaned all the dust and dead bugs out of the dash.

Faffed with the back up lights, they now work.

Made MDF mounts for 6x9 speakers in the rear. Maybe one day I will get replacement grills and go back to 6x8. Installed 6.5 up front. All infinity reference. Sounds much better. New stereo arrives this week.

Replaced vacuum modulator in case it would help the shifting. It didn’t. It shifts in a very positive fashion still... too positive!

Replaced the fuse for the power mirrors. They work left to right not up/down. Good enough!

Center console is in and matching locking latches have been ordered for that and the glove box.

The rear seat is in!

Put some spark lead holders in. I got the ones that mount to the valve cover bolts. Not the greatest things but they seem to work.

The steering is still pretty shitty. My truck feels better! So I will order a blue top in a week or so..

All the window weather strips have bedded in real nice, open and close nice and smooth.

Put some windshield sealant around the top of the windshield. On closer inspection it may be the rain gutter joint. I will pour some water over it tomorrow.

That is all I can think of right now... really need to get to the vacuum lines and interior lights...

Didn’t get to do much this weekend, but here is the update for the last few days is:

Pulled the trim out of the cab and painted with colorbond blue from LMC. Second can ordered, should have got more!

Pulled headliner out. It is missing headliner material but is mostly in one piece. Ordered navy blue diamond pattern padded vinyl for it.

Pulled the dash pad out, that thing is a disaster. Not sure what to do there. Cleaned all the dust and dead bugs out of the dash.

Faffed with the back up lights, they now work.

Made MDF mounts for 6x9 speakers in the rear. Maybe one day I will get replacement grills and go back to 6x8. Installed 6.5 up front. All infinity reference. Sounds much better. New stereo arrives this week.

Replaced vacuum modulator in case it would help the shifting. It didn’t. It shifts in a very positive fashion still... too positive!

Replaced the fuse for the power mirrors. They work left to right not up/down. Good enough!

Center console is in and matching locking latches have been ordered for that and the glove box.

The rear seat is in!

Put some spark lead holders in. I got the ones that mount to the valve cover bolts. Not the greatest things but they seem to work.

The steering is still pretty shitty. My truck feels better! So I will order a blue top in a week or so..

All the window weather strips have bedded in real nice, open and close nice and smooth.

Put some windshield sealant around the top of the windshield. On closer inspection it may be the rain gutter joint. I will pour some water over it tomorrow.

That is all I can think of right now... really need to get to the vacuum lines and interior lights...

Wow, that's a lot! Well done. But, I'm not familiar with the term "faffed". Not sure I should even type it to ask. I'll assume it is closely related to "futzing".

Infinity Reference - I hope your truck is quieter than Big Blue as those are good speakers but you sure couldn't notice the difference between them and others in my truck. Maybe when I get the Magnaflow muffler on I'll think about good speakers.

Isn't it time for some pictures?

Wow, that's a lot! Well done. But, I'm not familiar with the term "faffed". Not sure I should even type it to ask. I'll assume it is closely related to "futzing".

Infinity Reference - I hope your truck is quieter than Big Blue as those are good speakers but you sure couldn't notice the difference between them and others in my truck. Maybe when I get the Magnaflow muffler on I'll think about good speakers.

Haha! Futzed indeed! Infinity reference are not that expensive and are a nice speaker to run off a stereo without big amps..

Yes, pics! Tomorrow when I am at my laptop and can get them rotated!

Lots done today. Well, many hours spent getting stuff done..

Thanks to the EVTM link from Gary the clock, dome lights, courtesy lights, under hood light are all working. Just thr map lights and glove box lights want to stay dark...

Installed the new stereo. New wires to all speakers. Soldered at the speakers, crimps at the stereo

New headliner turned out way netter than i thought! Bery happy!

All painted trim put back in. I still need to do thr the rear passanger panels, prob paint those tonight.

Hmm. Thought i got more done... the impact is huge I guess..

Here are the pics to prove all the work from this week. Lets see how wonky they are from my iphone

961A0D95-0343-47A2-AA6F-9DEA5274178D.jpeg.0bc52dc6f78ac890b6f6ff628be71cb7.jpeg04F77242-3B64-4002-8353-4461A23F0050.jpeg.038233c321527b1e597f720dfde96cd0.jpeg8F04E6E5-3986-4652-8221-508DDD609333.jpeg.49ca5e55cc92ee1be86ebf62b286aae4.jpeg33915AE6-F97A-4005-8BCD-E5CAC0A57FE0.jpeg.b461bbaebd7d247035b8993c1c81ea9d.jpeg