Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

:nabble_smiley_oh:

So it is happening.

They are pulling the engine on Wednesday, stripping it down and sending it to Southworth motors in Eugene. From there the block will be pulled apart and we will work out what is in this engine and how best to rebuild it. Once that is done they will turn the block around in 2 weeks and send it back to Bend.

Once back at the shop in Bend the engine will be re-dressed with new intake, accessories and exhaust system. New/old distributor and ford performance ignition and the edlebrock carb will get a tune up.

While in the shop, the pesky leaking rear axle seals are being done along with the bearings.

So it is a lot of work and a lot of money. But this takes care of the last bits I can’t do. Then it is back to stuff I can do like body mounts and rust repair..

• 3 months later...

So it is happening.

They are pulling the engine on Wednesday, stripping it down and sending it to Southworth motors in Eugene. From there the block will be pulled apart and we will work out what is in this engine and how best to rebuild it. Once that is done they will turn the block around in 2 weeks and send it back to Bend.

Once back at the shop in Bend the engine will be re-dressed with new intake, accessories and exhaust system. New/old distributor and ford performance ignition and the edlebrock carb will get a tune up.

While in the shop, the pesky leaking rear axle seals are being done along with the bearings.

So it is a lot of work and a lot of money. But this takes care of the last bits I can’t do. Then it is back to stuff I can do like body mounts and rust repair..

It has been a while, but check these pics out!!

B3CEF4EC-D9B3-45E6-83D9-DD52D4551B90.thumb.jpeg.c54aefd570a00b504b3890387706a763.jpeg

F8F1F342-AEE3-420E-B78A-903793B3076D.thumb.jpeg.94e9ea3eb98a604531c1fd9971b9bebc.jpeg

EED3970A-F4D8-4CC7-A2EF-CBB232981B8B.thumb.jpeg.6b06205b0eb3ec8b97a571d99daa4712.jpeg

That's pretty!

Looks like Espy's heart transplant is ready to go. :nabble_smiley_good:

Indeed!

I have next to no idea what they have done, which does piss me off, but it does look like quality work...

The guy that machined/ported/flowed the heads was there and did take the time to go over what he has done and what he is going to do. I did enjoy that.

For the money I am spending (which is still not known) it would be nice to have been given a build sheet to approve.. So I am really bent out of shape on that.

If it all runs well and that, then many sins can be forgiven.

Maybe 2 weeks?

Indeed!

I have next to no idea what they have done, which does piss me off, but it does look like quality work...

The guy that machined/ported/flowed the heads was there and did take the time to go over what he has done and what he is going to do. I did enjoy that.

For the money I am spending (which is still not known) it would be nice to have been given a build sheet to approve.. So I am really bent out of shape on that.

If it all runs well and that, then many sins can be forgiven.

Maybe 2 weeks?

I hope there are no sins to be forgiven....

I certainly wish you a better experience than with the transmission shop!

Was a build sheet or scope of work discussed before you dropped her off?

What expectation did you have that hasn't been met?

At any rate it shouldn't be long now.

:nabble_smiley_cool:

I hope there are no sins to be forgiven....

I certainly wish you a better experience than with the transmission shop!

Was a build sheet or scope of work discussed before you dropped her off?

What expectation did you have that hasn't been met?

At any rate it shouldn't be long now.

:nabble_smiley_cool:

Oh we had the upfront discussion. I told them my budget and I liked how the current cam was a low rpm torque cam and wanted to keep the same characteristics.

So I have no doubt that they have achieved that, I would just like a little more info, I am interested in how it all went together.

The people in the shop are great. They are buried, lost a mechanic a couple of months back and haven’t been able to replace him.

The chap (Ricardo) that did the heads and the intake manifold has been building Ford engines his whole life and was excited to show me what he had done.

He owner won’t take a penny from me until they are done, she feels bad it has taken way longer than planned.

Completely different to the transmission shop people…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow! Nice!

Word on the street is Espy is coming home next week.

I popped in today and the engine is in with all the auxiliary bits. The headers are on. They did test fire it yesterday and it ran, but as there was no exhaust they shut it off as it was a tad loud.

Looks like the exhaust goes on next week then it gets a final carb tune up and comes home.

While there were in there I had them take care of a few other bits I didn't want to to (rear axle seals, steering gear box) so the final price has come in higher than planned, but from I saw today I am happy.

Once I get her home and cleaned up I will post pics.

My wife still thinks it is going to be 2 weeks!

Word on the street is Espy is coming home next week.

I popped in today and the engine is in with all the auxiliary bits. The headers are on. They did test fire it yesterday and it ran, but as there was no exhaust they shut it off as it was a tad loud.

Looks like the exhaust goes on next week then it gets a final carb tune up and comes home.

While there were in there I had them take care of a few other bits I didn't want to to (rear axle seals, steering gear box) so the final price has come in higher than planned, but from I saw today I am happy.

Once I get her home and cleaned up I will post pics.

My wife still thinks it is going to be 2 weeks!

Yippee! :nabble_anim_jump: