Bullnose Forum

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Yes, 'stuff' happens. And the foremost thing is to get it resolved to your satisfaction.

That's exactly what I'm saying, and a very mature attitude to take.

I wish you (and Espy) luck!

Cheers for the support, I will update when.... there is an update!

Cheers for the support, I will update when.... there is an update!

Just for the sake of documentation here are the emails I have sent to the transmission shop. This way the brain trust can see what I have been sharing with them...

FYI: I have removed the company name and the name of the people as I do not want to share that info until all is concluded. This is not a "name and shame" activity, it is an activity to try and make sure the original planned work is completed correctly. I am trying to work with the vendor in a positive fashion to achieve this.

Enjoy the read?:nabble_anim_crazy:

Email 1 from 8/21

Thank you for the call the this morning, probably time to get a few things down in an email to you before I drop my car back to you on Monday 8/24 at 8am.

So far I am not happy with my experience with company xyz I know we do not live in a perfect world so I am trying to be as understanding as possible.

Originally the estimate was 10-14 days for the work (AOD transmission install and overhaul the transfer case). Ultimately I collected my car at the end of the 6th week - if my calendar maths is correct. The lack of communication during that time was disappointing.

Let’s not go into the rear axle miss-communications. These things happen.

Since collecting my car I have noticed the following:

1. The reverse lights only come on with the shift lever in Park or Neutral.

2. When pulling away, around 25% of the time there is a lot of slip and then you feel the car hard shift before moving. I am sure this a a poor explanation of what is going on, but at least it provides something for your guys to look at.

3. When accelerating under light throttle there is occasional slip in the shift 2-3 and ending in a lunge type feel.

4. The shift points are very high. OD does not kick in until ~55mph. and under even light throttle the shifts don’t always happen until 4krpm. My other truck as an 302/AOD transmission so I am comparing the behavior/performance to that.

So far I have only driven ~20miles and I will put a few more miles on over the weekend to try and refine this information for you. I understand that on short test drives it can be challenging to see all issues that happen and maybe related to how one person drives compared to another.

JFYI: I have tuned the carb (1 stage lean rods/primary jets) as it was running rich and dialed back the electric choke so the carb is behaving better and that has not made any impact on shifting performance.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and hopefully these are all simple issues to fix.

Kind regards,

Email 2 from 8/21

A quick note to let you know I have fixed the NSS/back up light issue, the wrong 2 pins were connected.

In another issue I am concerned about, the original estimate was for the AOD conversions, transferase overhaul and new input shaft.

The transferase has not been touched. I am confused here and would like to discuss on Monday morning.

I would appreciate it if you can send me a copy of the signed estimate for my records.

Kind regards,

Email 3 from 8/25

Thank you for the update yesterday, hopefully it will not take too long to resolve the shifting issues in the new transmission.

I wanted to take a moment to highlight a couple of other items that while not critical to the performance of the new transmission left me disappointed with the workmanship carried out.

1. The NSS did not have a pigtail to the wiring harness. Instead individual connectors were put on to the existing wiring harness. This is not a secure method of connection for a safety circuit. Normally you would expect to see a connection with a retaining mechanism. The way in which the NSS has been connected leaves the connector side exposed to the elements.

2. The oil pan that was mounted on the new transmission was scratched and dented.

Please let me know if these are normal practices for you.

Finally I would still like a copy of the original estimate for my records.

Kind regards,

Just for the sake of documentation here are the emails I have sent to the transmission shop. This way the brain trust can see what I have been sharing with them...

FYI: I have removed the company name and the name of the people as I do not want to share that info until all is concluded. This is not a "name and shame" activity, it is an activity to try and make sure the original planned work is completed correctly. I am trying to work with the vendor in a positive fashion to achieve this.

Email 1 from 8/21

Thank you for the call the this morning, probably time to get a few things down in an email to you before I drop my car back to you on Monday 8/24 at 8am.

So far I am not happy with my experience with company xyz I know we do not live in a perfect world so I am trying to be as understanding as possible.

Originally the estimate was 10-14 days for the work (AOD transmission install and overhaul the transfer case). Ultimately I collected my car at the end of the 6th week - if my calendar maths is correct. The lack of communication during that time was disappointing.

2. When pulling away, around 25% of the time there is a lot of slip and then you feel the car hard shift before moving. I am sure this a a poor explanation of what is going on, but at least it provides something for your guys to look at.

3. When accelerating under light throttle there is occasional slip in the shift 2-3 and ending in a lunge type feel.

4. The shift points are very high. OD does not kick in until ~55mph. and under even light throttle the shifts don’t always happen until 4krpm. My other truck as an 302/AOD transmission so I am comparing the behavior/performance to that.

So far I have only driven ~20miles and I will put a few more miles on over the weekend to try and refine this information for you. I understand that on short test drives it can be challenging to see all issues that happen and maybe related to how one person drives compared to another.

JFYI: I have tuned the carb (1 stage lean rods/primary jets) as it was running rich and dialed back the electric choke so the carb is behaving better and that has not made any impact on shifting performance.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and hopefully these are all simple issues to fix.

Kind regards,

Email 2 from 8/21

A quick note to let you know I have fixed the NSS/back up light issue, the wrong 2 pins were connected.

In another issue I am concerned about, the original estimate was for the AOD conversions, transferase overhaul and new input shaft.

The transferase has not been touched. I am confused here and would like to discuss on Monday morning.

I would appreciate it if you can send me a copy of the signed estimate for my records.

Kind regards,

Email 3 from 8/25

Thank you for the update yesterday, hopefully it will not take too long to resolve the shifting issues in the new transmission.

I wanted to take a moment to highlight a couple of other items that while not critical to the performance of the new transmission left me disappointed with the workmanship carried out.

1. The NSS did not have a pigtail to the wiring harness. Instead individual connectors were put on to the existing wiring harness. This is not a secure method of connection for a safety circuit. Normally you would expect to see a connection with a retaining mechanism. The way in which the NSS has been connected leaves the connector side exposed to the elements.

2. The oil pan that was mounted on the new transmission was scratched and dented.

Kind regards,

Two more emails from just now:

Email 4 8/25

Deren,

I will look into this for you. The invoice I gave you when you picked up is the only one I have.

Email 5 8/25

Thank you for the quick response. I am not asking about the invoice as I have a copy of that. I am asking about the original estimate form I completed when I first met wit you.

I would encourage you to look through your files as the original written estimate is the only place where it states the scope of work and the estimated cost.

I will re-iterate here that that scope of work included the rebuild of the transfer case at the recommendation of Brad.

Kind regards,

Email 1 from 8/21

Kind regards,

Email 2 from 8/21

Kind regards,

Email 3 from 8/25

Kind regards,

Seems the ball is in their court.

Like you said above, it all hinges on how they choose to deal with the issues of their own making.

In my experience, it is always better if you make specific points and wait for their answer.

Putting them on the defensive from the jump doesn't help get things resolved.

I could definitely tell you some horror stories of my own,, but that ship sailed long ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the ball is in their court.

Like you said above, it all hinges on how they choose to deal with the issues of their own making.

In my experience, it is always better if you make specific points and wait for their answer.

Putting them on the defensive from the jump doesn't help get things resolved.

I could definitely tell you some horror stories of my own,, but that ship sailed long ago.

Quick update on my saga...

Just got a call saying the owner noticed the transfer case is leaking and they are going to to top it off for free then I can pick up the Bronco.

On the phone I said "thank you have a nice day".

In reality when i pick it up I will have to meet with the owner to bottom out why the transfer case was not rebuilt as per our original discussion.

Maybe this "top-off" is going to be that?

8-weeks in so far, how long will this fiasco run?

Quick update on my saga...

Just got a call saying the owner noticed the transfer case is leaking and they are going to to top it off for free then I can pick up the Bronco.

On the phone I said "thank you have a nice day".

In reality when i pick it up I will have to meet with the owner to bottom out why the transfer case was not rebuilt as per our original discussion.

Maybe this "top-off" is going to be that?

8-weeks in so far, how long will this fiasco run?

Top off? It leaks, and that just gives more to leak. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm with you. I'd want to sit down with the owner and go back to the original bid and see what was done, what wasn't, and why. I understand that there are always things that come up, but .....

Top off? It leaks, and that just gives more to leak. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm with you. I'd want to sit down with the owner and go back to the original bid and see what was done, what wasn't, and why. I understand that there are always things that come up, but .....

I hope it doesn't take a month to fix, like MY transfer case....

I think I'd have my phone recording when I walked into that office. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

If nothing else, they could use it as evidence against me at my trial.

I hope it doesn't take a month to fix, like MY transfer case....

I think I'd have my phone recording when I walked into that office. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

If nothing else, they could use it as evidence against me at my trial.

Got a call back today, was told the work is done but the owner has not signed off on it as he was to make sure everything is perfect. I have been told to expect an update in the next day or so.

I think this is week 9. Jim’s record of 4 weeks for a transfer case is in jeopardy...

Got a call back today, was told the work is done but the owner has not signed off on it as he was to make sure everything is perfect. I have been told to expect an update in the next day or so.

I think this is week 9. Jim’s record of 4 weeks for a transfer case is in jeopardy...

🤞Third times a charm???

Man, I sure hope it is RIGHT this time. :nabble_smiley_scared: