Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a much bigger project than planned.

I feel I read at my own story...

This is the case of almost every job I did on Big Brother. But I have absolutely no regrets!

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Nice result! Too bad for the bugs, they are now part of your truck.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Congrat's!!! It is going to look wonderful! :nabble_anim_claps:

“Scope creep” should be my middle name 🤣

The joy of projects.

Wait till you hear the next one, changing the locking hubs is resulting in a full front end rebuild! 🙄

The paint is all sorted and ready for a nice buffing in the spring!

The next part of the project is to rebuild the steering/suspension on the front end. Originally I was just going to replace the locking hubs for some nice vintage ones from fleabay. Then, scope creep..

The larger wheels and tires are definitely putting extra stress on the system and that sloppy feeling is back.

I have the front bodywork/grill partially dissembled due to the painting so access is pretty good. I am working out what I need to do here to maximize the opportunity of having it pulled apart.

So far my list of things I have bought verses what I still need to buy looks like:

Purchased:

Manual hubs

Inner and outer bearings

Hub/rotor assembly

Spindle bearings

Bearing seal

Radius arm bushings

Brake calipers

Brake pads

Rear brake drums and pads

Caliper/drum paint (blue)

Bearing grease

Bearing packer

Bearing puller

Yet to Purchase

Ball joints (Moog)

Ball joint press (rent)

Brake dust shields

Tie rod ends (Moog)

Steering links (Moog)

Bilstein 4600 shocks (quad set up)

Moog shock bushings (for stabilizer too)

Front springs

What else should I be considering while I am pulling this all apart?

For the record the sway bar was rebuilt already using Moog bushings.

The paint is all sorted and ready for a nice buffing in the spring!

The next part of the project is to rebuild the steering/suspension on the front end. Originally I was just going to replace the locking hubs for some nice vintage ones from fleabay. Then, scope creep..

The larger wheels and tires are definitely putting extra stress on the system and that sloppy feeling is back.

I have the front bodywork/grill partially dissembled due to the painting so access is pretty good. I am working out what I need to do here to maximize the opportunity of having it pulled apart.

So far my list of things I have bought verses what I still need to buy looks like:

Purchased:

Manual hubs

Inner and outer bearings

Hub/rotor assembly

Spindle bearings

Bearing seal

Radius arm bushings

Brake calipers

Brake pads

Rear brake drums and pads

Caliper/drum paint (blue)

Bearing grease

Bearing packer

Bearing puller

Yet to Purchase

Ball joints (Moog)

Ball joint press (rent)

Brake dust shields

Tie rod ends (Moog)

Steering links (Moog)

Bilstein 4600 shocks (quad set up)

Moog shock bushings (for stabilizer too)

Front springs

What else should I be considering while I am pulling this all apart?

For the record the sway bar was rebuilt already using Moog bushings.

Can't wait to see the pics of it all buffed out. :nabble_anim_jump:

As for the steering, while you are in there you should consider a Blue Top steering box. Not cheap, but far easier now than later. And you may well wish you had when you get it together.

Also, the rag joint is frequently suspect on these. If you want to replace it Jim can show you how he did his using later components.

Can't wait to see the pics of it all buffed out. :nabble_anim_jump:

As for the steering, while you are in there you should consider a Blue Top steering box. Not cheap, but far easier now than later. And you may well wish you had when you get it together.

Also, the rag joint is frequently suspect on these. If you want to replace it Jim can show you how he did his using later components.

I can't wait either.

The plan is to pull the doors and tailgate off in the spring and rebuild them. Then finish the cab/door jam/roof paint and reinstall it all.

I have the blue top box in and no rag joint as I have a Borg in there :)

Sounds like I have most bases covered then, just need to break out the credit card... The scariest part..

I can't wait either.

The plan is to pull the doors and tailgate off in the spring and rebuild them. Then finish the cab/door jam/roof paint and reinstall it all.

I have the blue top box in and no rag joint as I have a Borg in there :)

Sounds like I have most bases covered then, just need to break out the credit card... The scariest part..

If you have the Blue Top and Borg in there, then your list will make a new truck of it. However, do you have the caster/camber eccentrics?