Bullnose Forum

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

Hi.

Agree with you gsmblue. The Mickey Thompsons look great. Looking forward to see them on Epsy. June 7.. Sorry, ESPY:nabble_smiley_beam:

Assembling a line from the fuel pump to the carb with a regulator.

I need to find a better 1/8 to 3/8 adapter for the gauge as this brass one does not blend in.

Also need to work out how to mount the regulator..

E7EC7202-5A34-4998-8FD9-F4461833DDBE.jpeg.40bd35fa1586b3dc10d59494d73110cd.jpeg

Assembling a line from the fuel pump to the carb with a regulator.

I need to find a better 1/8 to 3/8 adapter for the gauge as this brass one does not blend in.

Also need to work out how to mount the regulator..

The regulators I've had came with an L-shaped bracket the screws to two holes in the bottom of the regulator. And it has a 3/8ish hole for a bolt to hold it to the block or firewall.

The regulators I've had came with an L-shaped bracket the screws to two holes in the bottom of the regulator. And it has a 3/8ish hole for a bolt to hold it to the block or firewall.

Fixed my typo. Yes, that is the same as I have. When this rain stops, if it ever stops, I will start sizing things up. I bought extra fuel line in case my A plan of having it on the carb mounting studs falls through.

I have to get the FPR installed to get the carb dialed in. I was just trying to work out all the hose fittings. Basically it 3/8 NPT at the fuel pump and -6AN for the filter. Seems standard fare.

Fixed my typo. Yes, that is the same as I have. When this rain stops, if it ever stops, I will start sizing things up. I bought extra fuel line in case my A plan of having it on the carb mounting studs falls through.

I have to get the FPR installed to get the carb dialed in. I was just trying to work out all the hose fittings. Basically it 3/8 NPT at the fuel pump and -6AN for the filter. Seems standard fare.

Good luck! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Good luck! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

As I was leaving the Home Depot parking lot yesterday the engine just died on me. No lurching or anything, just cut out. I tried cranking a few times, nothing. I pulled the key, opened the hood messed with the distributor to coil lead, wiggled the distributor cap a bit and tried starting. It fired right up. Ran a little rough on the way home.

I got home and pulled the distributor cap off and the cap and rotor have significant blackening on them.

2B618563-E137-4D8A-90EF-E709C338FB20.jpeg.77ff1185f540df414b07914eb3feab60.jpeg

A1DFF53E-0FDA-401B-A672-8918579D59A8.thumb.jpeg.df566e953057bcc015a7de2d9ef54e13.jpeg

What would cause this kind of marring? I have less than 2k on this engine/Ignition. The Distributor was NOS from ebay. The cap and rotor are MSD (although the rotor has no MSD marking so maybe it is not).

The wires from the MSD6AL box that got to the coil and the distributor pick up are zipped tied together. I wonder if this is why I get occasional misfires and some weird stuttering. I am concerned that my ignition box may be at fault. It is mounted on the passenger side wheel well away from splashes and heat. It is directly connected to the battery.

New plan:

Reroute cables from MSD6AL to the coil and distributor making sure there is a good gap between them.

Replace cap and rotor (new MSD one should arrive tomorrow).

install new fuel line/filter/regulator/gauge (as mentioned in previous post)

Check carburetor tuning - I think I need to down grade the springs a notch as I am getting rich right when I first put my foot down ~1/4 throttle.

I should have all parts here by Friday and luckily I am not working.

As I was leaving the Home Depot parking lot yesterday the engine just died on me. No lurching or anything, just cut out. I tried cranking a few times, nothing. I pulled the key, opened the hood messed with the distributor to coil lead, wiggled the distributor cap a bit and tried starting. It fired right up. Ran a little rough on the way home.

I got home and pulled the distributor cap off and the cap and rotor have significant blackening on them.

What would cause this kind of marring? I have less than 2k on this engine/Ignition. The Distributor was NOS from ebay. The cap and rotor are MSD (although the rotor has no MSD marking so maybe it is not).

The wires from the MSD6AL box that got to the coil and the distributor pick up are zipped tied together. I wonder if this is why I get occasional misfires and some weird stuttering. I am concerned that my ignition box may be at fault. It is mounted on the passenger side wheel well away from splashes and heat. It is directly connected to the battery.

New plan:

Reroute cables from MSD6AL to the coil and distributor making sure there is a good gap between them.

Replace cap and rotor (new MSD one should arrive tomorrow).

install new fuel line/filter/regulator/gauge (as mentioned in previous post)

Check carburetor tuning - I think I need to down grade the springs a notch as I am getting rich right when I first put my foot down ~1/4 throttle.

I should have all parts here by Friday and luckily I am not working.

If I under stand right you are running a OE dist. but MSD cap & rotor?

I thought the caps were red, dont remember what color the rotor is and I am not going to try and open the hood on the drag car to check.

You are also running a MSD6AL box and the Ford box?

Why the 6AL box if not running a Ford box and why not a Ford box only?

What fuel pump you running that you need the regulator, in tank high psi pump?

I may have a reason why but want to make sure what you are running.

Dave ----

If I under stand right you are running a OE dist. but MSD cap & rotor?

I thought the caps were red, dont remember what color the rotor is and I am not going to try and open the hood on the drag car to check.

You are also running a MSD6AL box and the Ford box?

Why the 6AL box if not running a Ford box and why not a Ford box only?

What fuel pump you running that you need the regulator, in tank high psi pump?

I may have a reason why but want to make sure what you are running.

Dave ----

I would check the timing also.

I would check the timing also.

Ok,

So here is the run down:

Ford stock distributor E2TZ-12127-U NOS from ebay last year.

Rotor unknown..

Cap MSD (they do make them in black, hard to find though)

Ignition is MSD6AL (this is the only ignition system) I went with MSD just for aesthetics under the hood.

Coil is MSD Blaster 2

fuel pump is generic mechanical

Carb is Edelbrock 1406

I have messed with timing and it is ~12BTDC. I had it as high as 15 at one point.

Fuel regulator and new filter going in soon.

New MSD rotor and cap arriving tomorrow as back up. - In red unfortunately, but at least it will back the ignition box.

Ok,

So here is the run down:

Ford stock distributor E2TZ-12127-U NOS from ebay last year.

Rotor unknown..

Cap MSD (they do make them in black, hard to find though)

Ignition is MSD6AL (this is the only ignition system) I went with MSD just for aesthetics under the hood.

Coil is MSD Blaster 2

fuel pump is generic mechanical

Carb is Edelbrock 1406

I have messed with timing and it is ~12BTDC. I had it as high as 15 at one point.

Fuel regulator and new filter going in soon.

New MSD rotor and cap arriving tomorrow as back up. - In red unfortunately, but at least it will back the ignition box.

Espy is driving well, the random backfire is gone as is the soot on the choke plate.

I have noticed the current rotor/cap combo is showing some signs of corrosion already, after about 20 miles of driving. I don’t want to change in the new MSD rotor and cap right now as I don’t know why this problem is occurring.

I checked the timing with the vacuum hose disconnected and it was at about 12BTDC so i dialed it back to 10.

Still waiting on some parts before I put the fuel regulator in…

Espy is driving well, the random backfire is gone as is the soot on the choke plate.

I have noticed the current rotor/cap combo is showing some signs of corrosion already, after about 20 miles of driving. I don’t want to change in the new MSD rotor and cap right now as I don’t know why this problem is occurring.

I checked the timing with the vacuum hose disconnected and it was at about 12BTDC so i dialed it back to 10.

Still waiting on some parts before I put the fuel regulator in…

Pipe threads taped up and this is now ready to go. Just need a break in the rain. The only thing worse than laying on gravel is laying on wet gravel. Hopefully this evening or in the morning.

03D1B66D-F776-41C6-8613-6AA864FDC930.jpeg.fedcc11afa0276860b44e350ea9b2449.jpeg