Bullnose Forum

1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gsmblue

I hope you are turning a corner. And sometimes just telling them what you are going to do is enough.

My brother bought an FJ Cruiser a few years ago off a used car lot. It didn't drive very well due to oversized tires, but he brought it down and we put it on the lift. The tire sidewalls were rubbing on the brake line. He went back and asked them to replace the tires and they refused. He explained that he was going to post a review of them having sold him an unsafe vehicle and include the pics we took. They replaced the tires.

There are really good things an really bad things associated with social media, but one of the good things is that you have a whole lot more leverage on businesses.

Nice work.

I think I am used to being in professional environment where people get things done without handholding and this is the first time I have been dealing with independent business owners.

My expectations have not been met with any of the work I have had other people do. Even the tire guys put the weights on the outside of the wheel despite a long discussion prior!

This sounds silly, but I think my accent is a barrier sometimes. I have a "thick" North London accent. Think a minor character in a Guy Ritchie movie. It happens when I meet new people they get focussed on how I am saying something not what I am saying. I have to repeat myself all too often.

1st time I say something the person is thinking "Oh, he has an accent."

2nd time I say the same thing the person is thinking "I wonder where he is from?"

3rd time I say the same thing the person is thinking "Oh, he asked me a question I should respond."

Now to be clear, this is how my friend diagnosed it, he finds it hysterical and is my self appointed translator, I should take him to the garages with me :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Nice work.

I think I am used to being in professional environment where people get things done without handholding and this is the first time I have been dealing with independent business owners.

My expectations have not been met with any of the work I have had other people do. Even the tire guys put the weights on the outside of the wheel despite a long discussion prior!

This sounds silly, but I think my accent is a barrier sometimes. I have a "thick" North London accent. Think a minor character in a Guy Ritchie movie. It happens when I meet new people they get focussed on how I am saying something not what I am saying. I have to repeat myself all too often.

2nd time I say the same thing the person is thinking "I wonder where he is from?"

3rd time I say the same thing the person is thinking "Oh, he asked me a question I should respond."

Now to be clear, this is how my friend diagnosed it, he finds it hysterical and is my self appointed translator, I should take him to the garages with me :nabble_smiley_tongue:

North London has an accent? You mean w/in the sound of the Bow Bells? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, I know that's E/NE London. But having lived in Northwood/Moor Park and worked in the West End, what is now a car dealership on the backside of Selfridge's, I wasn't aware there was a specific accent for north London. However, as I think about it, I worked with people from all over the UK rather than locals, so I guess I wouldn't have been aware of a specific accent.

On the 3 times to say something, I think you are right for most people. Unfortunately I find myself thinking "Where's that accent from?" But that's on the first pass, and I usually get the statement on the second pass.

Case in point: The young lady that was interviewing someone from church about Ukraine was obviously from the UK. I guessed Yorkshire, but it was Lincolnshire. Oops! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Nice work.

Perhaps you should? 🤔

Or a greasy 20 stone biker named "Tiny" carrying 3' of chain and a J hook...

Perhaps you should? 🤔

Or a greasy 20 stone biker named "Tiny" carrying 3' of chain and a J hook...

Please introduce me to Tiny!!!!

I am also on the nice side and I want to be a good customer. It seems to have the opposite effect!

Please introduce me to Tiny!!!!

I am also on the nice side and I want to be a good customer. It seems to have the opposite effect!

I have the AES AFR gauge in hand AND my blue top steering box.

Tonight I picked up some Mecron, a pitman arm puller and a 33mm socket (which I am told is the size for the pitman arm nut). I drove all over town to find that and had to buy a set.. So more money than planned but now I have a more complete set of sockets so I shouldn't complain too much.

Due to the rain I didn't fancy tackling anything outside so I cleared the garage from all the weekend fun and got all the tools I should need staged so I can try and attack both jobs after work tomorrow.

Hopefully this goes smoothly for a change!

Tonight I picked up some Mecron, a pitman arm puller and a 33mm socket (which I am told is the size for the pitman arm nut). I drove all over town to find that and had to buy a set.. So more money than planned but now I have a more complete set of sockets so I shouldn't complain too much.

Due to the rain I didn't fancy tackling anything outside so I cleared the garage from all the weekend fun and got all the tools I should need staged so I can try and attack both jobs after work tomorrow.

The nut is 1 5/16" which is a wee bit larger than 33 but the socket should fit.

Loosen the nut out towards the end but don't remove it all the way, if you can with your puller.

(better it only goes 'bang' when it comes free than flying)

Place the puller so that you'll have a good swing at the boss of the pitman arm itself.

If you have trouble getting it off don't just use a bigger cheater pipe.

Get a good amount of tension on the puller screw (80-100 ft lb?) and then sharply hit the pitman arm at the side of the taper with something like a 3# lump or drilling hammer.

Do you have a crow's foot line wrench to remove the pressure line from the top of the box?

Do you have a crow's foot line wrench to remove the pressure line from the top of the box?

I do not!

What size will i need? I can pick that up easily!

The steering box on there was only recently put on so i am hoping it makes it easier to take off… bit thanks for the advice, wise words.

I do not!

What size will i need? I can pick that up easily!

The steering box on there was only recently put on so i am hoping it makes it easier to take off… bit thanks for the advice, wise words.

I'd have to check my steering box.

My brother has borrowed all my line wrenches and vacuum pump to work on his car.

Maybe if I just look up the hose online?

I'd have to check my steering box.

My brother has borrowed all my line wrenches and vacuum pump to work on his car.

Maybe if I just look up the hose online?

That’s ok, I’ll take some regular wrenches to it and get the size. ACE hardware is super close.

Here is a pic of the box and the AFR box lurking in the background:

41E16841-1886-470C-8120-220D735679BE.thumb.jpeg.9496c5873abab44d29e5f4af5644f78c.jpeg