Bullnose Forums

New Guy here, anyone seen my paddle

20200130_124545.thumb.jpg.f94ae4fb027a1a56f4832abe7a8061c8.jpg20200917_101344.jpg.6d4835a011e3b15df213c40c8d5762b9.jpg20201108_091027.jpg.c14003628094e78040946f15ccad614e.jpgHello all,

I feel so greatful to have found this forum. I come to you from the odd state of Oregon. I've owned my 1985 Ford 7.5L for about 2 years now. Just recently ive been working hard at getting her running how she deserves to. I stumbled upon your forum trying to sort out a fuel problem that this one guy tryed to fix. You may know him, first

name Jerry last name Rigged. Well to make a long story short Mr Rigged failed at his attempt of a repair. So what I have is this...

-1985 Ford Cobra E350 Econoline class C 26' motorhome with a carbureted 460.

- Hot Fuel handling package, inertia switch, fuel/ vapor seperator, duel tanks with electric fuel pump in each.

The observations/issues/ my assumptions

The issue is I'm having a hard time keeping the float bowls on the carb full on medium to heavy acceleration. If I get into the throttle any more than halfway she falls on her face.

I've observed a cheap looking no name inline 12V fuel pump on the frame rail just upstream from the 6 port tank transfer switch. Also the rear tank fuel tank guage don't work.

I'm assume at some point the pump, or pumps quit working and instead of trouble shooting a wiring issue , or dropping the tank to replace the pumps, Mr Rigged just did what he knows best.

So I'm here today because I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic. I'm hoping to be pointed in a direction that would help me to trouble shoot my issue from start to finish.

Thank you for reading, I'm looking forward to being apart of this forum and will help where I can.

Welcome to Oregon. It's a great place, except for her highness Katie...

The most common fuel starvation problem that affects carbureted 460s with electric pumps is a failure of the vapor separator. Located directly in front of the carburetor, there should be a small metal part with 3 fuel lines attached to it. If you need one, try to find a E3TZ-9N176-B, as it was the most effective one available. These were a very common failure on this application. Make sure that it hasn't been eliminated or relaced with a fuel filter - I've seen that more times than I can count!

The most common fuel starvation problem that affects carbureted 460s with electric pumps is a failure of the vapor separator. Located directly in front of the carburetor, there should be a small metal part with 3 fuel lines attached to it. If you need one, try to find a E3TZ-9N176-B, as it was the most effective one available. These were a very common failure on this application. Make sure that it hasn't been eliminated or relaced with a fuel filter - I've seen that more times than I can count!

Ooops, I just noticed the one I provided a link for is: -A, not-B. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-Fuel-Shut-Off-Valve-E3TZ-9N176-A-NOS/324363989887?epid=1424840248&hash=item4b8599b37f:g:6KMAAOSwaAdfpcfS

Ooops, I just noticed the one I provided a link for is: -A, not-B. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-Fuel-Shut-Off-Valve-E3TZ-9N176-A-NOS/324363989887?epid=1424840248&hash=item4b8599b37f:g:6KMAAOSwaAdfpcfS

Personally I'd use a return-style fuel pressure regulator to replace the vapor separator.

Personally I'd use a return-style fuel pressure regulator to replace the vapor separator.

It's the Tee fitting just to the right of the distributor in your photograph.

Leave it soaking in lacquer thinner for an hour and blow the sludge out with compressed air.

The screen gets blocked up eventually.

There are no moving or wear parts inside.

I've been looking for a new one, there hard to come by. When I seen your link I clicked immediately shot over to ebay, clicked by now...... Then back to the forum to continue scrolling then seen your next post saying it was the wrong one:nabble_anim_crazy: Then back to ebay to cancel as fast as I purchased. Haha...

Thank your all for the words of wisdom, the vapor seperator was an issue at one time, but it's free and clear now and still having fuel starvation issues. The screen inside of it is rattling around inside from I guess somewhat of an agressive cleaning. So I'm looking for another if anyone has as link or know where to purchase a blue dot.

What else could it be. Would it take much effort to pull fuel through an inoperable pump? A mechanic told me,"there called pumps, not sucks, so your pump should be as close as possible to the fuel. It's made to pump the fuel forward not suck it through as transfer switch, and 5 foot of fuel line."

Makes senses I suppose. Thoughts?

This is the smallest one, right? So higher pressure?

I think this is the medium (blue dot) one.

There are three.

Red dot= .045 orifice

Blue dot= .065 orifice

White dot= .090 orifice

White is indicated for cases of extreme vapor lock.

Pressure is lower (easier boiling) but more cool fuel is circulated from the tank

This is the smallest one, right? So higher pressure?

I think this is the medium (blue dot) one.

There are three.

Red dot= .045 orifice

Blue dot= .065 orifice

White dot= .090 orifice

White is indicated for cases of extreme vapor lock.

Pressure is lower (easier boiling) but more cool fuel is circulated from the tank

Found this on a TSB article. Wouldn't the psi increase for E3TZ-B mean it's the smaller one? I've never looked into these much. Just cleaned/blew mine out and reinstalled.

If previously tested pressure at the carburetor was below 3.5 psi., install one of the following vapor separators to increase the fuel pressure.

E3TZ-9N176-A gives 1.0 psi. increase at the carburetor (RED DOT).

E3TZ-9N176-B gives 2.0 psi. increase at the carburetor (BLUE DOT).

If the fuel pressure at the carburetor was too high or the concern still exists, replace the vapor separator with vapor separator E0TZ-9N176-B.

If the pressure is still incorrect, check the fuel return line for blockage. If the return line is clear, it will be necessary to replace the pump/sender assembly.

After service is completed, recheck pressure at the carburetor to confirm correction of the concern

[updated - was confusing myself]