Bullnose Forums

Saginaw brackets question

Your steering pump probably goes to a piece of tubing that wraps twice around the front of the crossmember as a cooler, giving the fluid a chance to dissipate heat (out in the airflow)

I used the E-Series line (with a couple of tweaks) to mate up to the steering box.

Because the Saginaw fittings are very different from the C2 pump.

Be sure you leave the pressure regulator fitting in the reservoir.

Okay, so I went through the diagrams and the info related to the swap in general and it looks like the return line routes through the cross-member for cooling like you said. I will try to reuse that line and just tighten it directly to the return inlet. Specs say the hose is the same diameter. I'm going to reuse the vans high pressure line on the Saginaw. It's dirty but it seems like it's in good enough shape to reuse. Then it is just a matter of contorting the metal pipe on the van's hose to fit the Bronco. They use the same steering gearbox so the pressure port threading should be the same between the two hoses. I'm not sure about the lengths of the lines given all the turns they take, so I guess I'll just sort it out when I get there.

I tried to "check" the Saginaw. The pulley turns but not without light resistance; however, when I spin the pulley, no fluid comes out of the hose. I would think that it should. Is that indicative of a problem? I poured out the fluid (it was completely full) and it was brown, darker than honey but lighter than Coke, and seemed free of debris. Not sure what else I can do to verify it's operable other than install it, fill it and try it.

I'll be sure to leave the pressure regulator fitting in the reservoir if I remove the high pressure hose. Thanks for the advice.

I'll take photos and post.

Okay, so I went through the diagrams and the info related to the swap in general and it looks like the return line routes through the cross-member for cooling like you said. I will try to reuse that line and just tighten it directly to the return inlet. Specs say the hose is the same diameter. I'm going to reuse the vans high pressure line on the Saginaw. It's dirty but it seems like it's in good enough shape to reuse. Then it is just a matter of contorting the metal pipe on the van's hose to fit the Bronco. They use the same steering gearbox so the pressure port threading should be the same between the two hoses. I'm not sure about the lengths of the lines given all the turns they take, so I guess I'll just sort it out when I get there.

I tried to "check" the Saginaw. The pulley turns but not without light resistance; however, when I spin the pulley, no fluid comes out of the hose. I would think that it should. Is that indicative of a problem? I poured out the fluid (it was completely full) and it was brown, darker than honey but lighter than Coke, and seemed free of debris. Not sure what else I can do to verify it's operable other than install it, fill it and try it.

I'll be sure to leave the pressure regulator fitting in the reservoir if I remove the high pressure hose. Thanks for the advice.

I'll take photos and post.

To use the van line in my truck it only needed to be bent around a bit from where it entered the box, and one other torsional bend was required to get it clocked correctly.

I bought a new van line for piece of mind. It was not expensive.

I'm using Type F as the recommended fluid for these systems.

It's okay to overfill at first,because you'll be purging air as you turn the wheel lock to lock.

Looking forward to seeing your progress! :nabble_smiley_good:

• 1 month later...

So (what I gather) from the photo of the parts for the steering bracket that bolts to the pump is the same for both 351w and 460? Also i have the adjuster bracket on my 351w would that be the same used on the e series??

No, not at all. The illustration shows how it mounts and gives the generic part number. But all power steering brackets for all Ford products produced anywhere in the world have the same generic. So you need a prefix, like E1TZ, and a suffix, like A.

As for the adjuster bracket, they are rarely the same between a pickup and a van.

So, what are you trying to do? Find part numbers? Or figure out what donor vehicle you need to find?

Basically, if you want to do a Saginaw conversion you need to find an E-Series van with the same engine as yours and get the parts. Having said that, I do think the 302's and 351W's used the same brackets, but I'm not sure of that.

No, not at all. The illustration shows how it mounts and gives the generic part number. But all power steering brackets for all Ford products produced anywhere in the world have the same generic. So you need a prefix, like E1TZ, and a suffix, like A.

As for the adjuster bracket, they are rarely the same between a pickup and a van.

So, what are you trying to do? Find part numbers? Or figure out what donor vehicle you need to find?

Basically, if you want to do a Saginaw conversion you need to find an E-Series van with the same engine as yours and get the parts. Having said that, I do think the 302's and 351W's used the same brackets, but I'm not sure of that.

Well, I may have been WRONG! This snippet from the catalog shows the bracket itself, and there are other bits and pieces. However, if you look at the 83-86 vans with a V8 they all use the same bracket save for the diesel. And the 87 uses the same one save for the 460.

:nabble_smiley_blush:

Power_Steering_Pump_Bracket.thumb.jpg.42aca0c238f413b7f87c16121cdf78c1.jpg

I am doing the saginaw conversion on my truck but there are no econolines around my area and nothing in the junk yards(edmonton alberta). I was able to head to a used parts store and all of the e-series pumps they had came off of a 460 and all of them had that same part number.

I am doing the saginaw conversion on my truck but there are no econolines around my area and nothing in the junk yards(edmonton alberta). I was able to head to a used parts store and all of the e-series pumps they had came off of a 460 and all of them had that same part number.

The pumps are pretty much the same. But it is the brackets where the differences lie. However, as said, it looks like all gas 8 cylinder engines for 83 - 86 take the same bracket: E3UZ 3A732-A.

I think I’ve got the bracket and pulley and a Saginaw core. Supposedly this came off an 84 5.0 E150. There is no tensioner. Is there supposed to be one?

That is the tensioner. You put a 1/2" drive in the square hole to tighten your belt by rotating. That looks like it would fit the Ford brackets for the non Saginaw style pumps.

The pumps are pretty much the same. But it is the brackets where the differences lie. However, as said, it looks like all gas 8 cylinder engines for 83 - 86 take the same bracket: E3UZ 3A732-A.

Picked up the bracket with e3ua-3a732-gb and it fits/lines up with the factory 351w bracket. Just need a larger spacer where the top mount bolt goes to the head. Really happy about this!!