Bullnose Forums

Saginaw brackets question

I think I’ve got the bracket and pulley and a Saginaw core. Supposedly this came off an 84 5.0 E150. There is no tensioner. Is there supposed to be one?

Some other component may do the tensioning.

Like I said, I don't really know. 🤷

I was trying to point out that all the EFI 5.0 polygroove setups use a tensioner, and the steering pump is fixed.

With my 460 setup there is a quadrant plate and a square hole broached in the pump bracket so you can hold it tight with a breaker bar while you tighten the adjustment bolt.

I think I’ve got the bracket and pulley and a Saginaw core. Supposedly this came off an 84 5.0 E150. There is no tensioner. Is there supposed to be one?

What you have there is the pump+pump bracket. There is another support bracket that bolts to the engine. The support bracket has the slotted arc for adjustment. You can see if the part you have will work with your existing C2 support bracket, but in most cases the threaded hole that receives the tensioner bolt is not in line with the arc on the support bracket:

7C44E9E8-AC78-46A7-A0BE-27244936217D.thumb.jpeg.a2f559c268fe36a3821d57589171fe08.jpeg

(Thompson/C2 bracket 6.9 IDI)

A879A1DF-D1B7-452F-AB44-3178CAD5C75C.thumb.jpeg.d0e7e4ea9afc4a65c4fc213fb468d1f3.jpeg

(Saginaw bracket 6.9 IDI)

B37AD97D-56C1-4C9B-8DBB-C1CD4C45ECDE.thumb.jpeg.2f7c22556463ccac2a1c7c81a4a8d7b6.jpeg

On my 300 six, the engine bracket just so happened to accept the Saginaw pump bracket. However the next issue will be whether the clocking of the pump bracket will allow enough clearance with the engine. Again, the pictures below are comparing the two 6.9 IDI diesel support brackets, not Windsor V8, but you can see that the adjustment arc for the Saginaw is different (relative to the engine). Even if a person could work around the problem of the wrong adjustment arc radius, the bracket still won’t work because the pump hits the water inlet on the engine:

9BBE53EE-6DC4-4BBA-8604-7C9E2B47BEF3.thumb.jpeg.919615efae4b7fb94ca391a6da479a13.jpeg

73E88778-E434-4845-BE8A-7C89D0554F33.thumb.jpeg.4c88d195145577b14c1c078ab40c30c8.jpeg

Your first step should be to go bolt on what you have. It costs you nothing but 20 minutes of your time to unbolt your C2 and lay it out of the way (don’t unhook any hoses) and see if your engine bracket has the right arc for the Saginaw bracket or if you have any clearance issues.

What you have there is the pump+pump bracket. There is another support bracket that bolts to the engine. The support bracket has the slotted arc for adjustment. You can see if the part you have will work with your existing C2 support bracket, but in most cases the threaded hole that receives the tensioner bolt is not in line with the arc on the support bracket:

(Thompson/C2 bracket 6.9 IDI)

(Saginaw bracket 6.9 IDI)

On my 300 six, the engine bracket just so happened to accept the Saginaw pump bracket. However the next issue will be whether the clocking of the pump bracket will allow enough clearance with the engine. Again, the pictures below are comparing the two 6.9 IDI diesel support brackets, not Windsor V8, but you can see that the adjustment arc for the Saginaw is different (relative to the engine). Even if a person could work around the problem of the wrong adjustment arc radius, the bracket still won’t work because the pump hits the water inlet on the engine:

Your first step should be to go bolt on what you have. It costs you nothing but 20 minutes of your time to unbolt your C2 and lay it out of the way (don’t unhook any hoses) and see if your engine bracket has the right arc for the Saginaw bracket or if you have any clearance issues.

If you get it to bolt up make sure the pulley is in alignment with the crank sheave.

This is what was so important for me to get the 'stay' that bolts across the head on my 460.

I imagine I could have drilled another hole in the bracket and welded on a 3/4" spacer, but I didn't want to screw around with all that.

And ha ing the pivot in the right place meant I could get the correct belts. (Yes, the 460 has two belts on the power steering and water pump)

(Yes, the 460 has two belts on the power steering and water pump)

On some of them. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

We've already made the distinction between polygroove and V-belt mounting.

I'm really surprised nobody here has a W with a Saginaw pump.

It does seem many, many members are rocking the 300-6..

We've already made the distinction between polygroove and V-belt mounting.

I'm really surprised nobody here has a W with a Saginaw pump.

It does seem many, many members are rocking the 300-6..

I'm a bit surprised that I couldn't find a complete synopsis of this swap on a carbed Windsor. I saw Gary has a spot for the details on the conversion by engine type. I'll put some notes down here they may prove useful to that effort

I went to the JY with the plan of taking a better, and hopefully working, version of the Saginaw system from what I thought was a serpentine E-150. When I got down there I found an 87 E-150 with a carbed 351W HO. First noteworthy news here is that they DID make the V-belt version at least that late.

I removed the pump and bracket and hoses.

image2(1).jpeg.b0ca68be581b714e3367df38e56e7ebb.jpeg

image0(2).jpeg.0a0c232d487dda9aeaa517fc56eb332d.jpeg

There was a tensioner part as well (as shown in previous pictures), but I couldn't get it off with the tools that I had. I can't be completely certain, but it looks identical to the one that is installed on my Windsor right now:

image1(1).jpeg.4649f1e12ef6b116810c108f18babce4.jpeg

I can go back and get it if I need to, but I'm going to check the existing tensioner before I go to the added trouble, and hopefully save others the trouble in the future.

One thing of importance are the screws and spacer. There were two screws holding the bracket on, a long one on the top and short one on the bottom (for tensioning). Behind the bracket (i.e. on the side facing towards the rear of the vehicle, there is a spacer. That spacer is almost exact 1.25". I don't have a micrometer that goes that big, so I can't tell you to the picometer, but if I had to replace it I'd go with a 1.25" spacer and call it a day:

image0(1).jpeg.6dad44556edbca36df874daf0b2f1bcd.jpeg

I'm a little confused about the hoses/lines. When I pulled the Saginaw out, the two hoses that came from the pump went directly to the steering gearbox. Looking at my Bronco with the stock pump, the existing hoses do not go directly to the steering gear. One heads out of the pump and down towards the crossmember and the other seems to disappear into a suspension mount. I can still see on the steering gearbox where the hoses are attached, but they definitely route SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENTLY than in the E-150. I wasn't expecting that. What should I do? Can I tie into the existing plumbing or do I have to pull it out?

I'm a bit surprised that I couldn't find a complete synopsis of this swap on a carbed Windsor. I saw Gary has a spot for the details on the conversion by engine type. I'll put some notes down here they may prove useful to that effort

I went to the JY with the plan of taking a better, and hopefully working, version of the Saginaw system from what I thought was a serpentine E-150. When I got down there I found an 87 E-150 with a carbed 351W HO. First noteworthy news here is that they DID make the V-belt version at least that late.

I removed the pump and bracket and hoses.

There was a tensioner part as well (as shown in previous pictures), but I couldn't get it off with the tools that I had. I can't be completely certain, but it looks identical to the one that is installed on my Windsor right now:

I can go back and get it if I need to, but I'm going to check the existing tensioner before I go to the added trouble, and hopefully save others the trouble in the future.

One thing of importance are the screws and spacer. There were two screws holding the bracket on, a long one on the top and short one on the bottom (for tensioning). Behind the bracket (i.e. on the side facing towards the rear of the vehicle, there is a spacer. That spacer is almost exact 1.25". I don't have a micrometer that goes that big, so I can't tell you to the picometer, but if I had to replace it I'd go with a 1.25" spacer and call it a day:

I'm a little confused about the hoses/lines. When I pulled the Saginaw out, the two hoses that came from the pump went directly to the steering gearbox. Looking at my Bronco with the stock pump, the existing hoses do not go directly to the steering gear. One heads out of the pump and down towards the crossmember and the other seems to disappear into a suspension mount. I can still see on the steering gearbox where the hoses are attached, but they definitely route SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENTLY than in the E-150. I wasn't expecting that. What should I do? Can I tie into the existing plumbing or do I have to pull it out?

Your steering pump probably goes to a piece of tubing that wraps twice around the front of the crossmember as a cooler, giving the fluid a chance to dissipate heat (out in the airflow)

I used the E-Series line (with a couple of tweaks) to mate up to the steering box.

Because the Saginaw fittings are very different from the C2 pump.

Be sure you leave the pressure regulator fitting in the reservoir.