Bullnose Forums

Supercab Rust

kramttocs

So you think it's rotting from inside the cab out?

Hope he doesn't mind me pointing it out but Kevin's (Teach) truck shows some of this (northern truck). Maybe he can check the channel on the inside and see what it looks like.

Mine was due to storing a fire extinguisher behind the seat and at some point it leaked. Years latter rust showed up. I found a cab cornier from an 89 that worked on my 84. The other side is fine but it is a Southern truck.

For some resign I can't get the "insert image" to work. Maybe something on my end.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was due to storing a fire extinguisher behind the seat and at some point it leaked. Years latter rust showed up. I found a cab cornier from an 89 that worked on my 84. The other side is fine but it is a Southern truck.

For some resign I can't get the "insert image" to work. Maybe something on my end.

Is it telling you 'upload failed'

Any IMG or JPEG should work.

Click the 'large size' button to assure the file is not to big for the forum.

Often I have to wait for the pic to load in the reply window.

The server is slow....

Is it telling you 'upload failed'

Any IMG or JPEG should work.

Click the 'large size' button to assure the file is not to big for the forum.

Often I have to wait for the pic to load in the reply window.

The server is slow....

Working now, before when you click on the icon it would not do anything.

20181022_135803.jpg.c30f8704deb86121523175c781400591.jpg

Working now, before when you click on the icon it would not do anything.

Thanks guys. Since the rust is usually before the cab corner on supercabs I was trying to attribute it to something other than what causes reg cab cab corners to rust out.

I'll make a note to look inside the next supercab I see that has the rust showing.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely do.

The corner does not have the upturned pinch weld between floor and door gasket flange.

Ford filled these valleys with foam to keep water from pooling there, but eventually water gets under and sits there unable to evaporate

Ill try and get a look and see what I can find on mine.

Ill try and get a look and see what I can find on mine.

Off topic a bit but I really don't think Ford put a lot of effort in rust prevention of our trucks. Frankly, American vehicles from the early 70's to the mid 80's were horrible. Bad years for American automobiles.

Some of you know, I am the original owner of my 86 F150. This is a southern state truck with only 100k on it. I know where it has been! Thus far, I've changed out both rear quarter wheel lips and inner fenders. Last night, I completed the repair of both drip rails. My next venture will be to inspect the cowl and doors, as I'm now very nervous about where rust will develop next. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck but we got some problems in this genre.

Off topic a bit but I really don't think Ford put a lot of effort in rust prevention of our trucks. Frankly, American vehicles from the early 70's to the mid 80's were horrible. Bad years for American automobiles.

Some of you know, I am the original owner of my 86 F150. This is a southern state truck with only 100k on it. I know where it has been! Thus far, I've changed out both rear quarter wheel lips and inner fenders. Last night, I completed the repair of both drip rails. My next venture will be to inspect the cowl and doors, as I'm now very nervous about where rust will develop next. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck but we got some problems in this genre.

If you're going to put a little oil in the bottom of the doors (to wick into the pinch weld) don't neglect to do the same to the tail gate.

It does seem to make a difference.

If you're going to put a little oil in the bottom of the doors (to wick into the pinch weld) don't neglect to do the same to the tail gate.

It does seem to make a difference.

If I ever have one of these trucks painted again or looks don't matter like with my 1ton I would research getting some Eastwood Inner Frame coating (or similar) that comes with a wand and before sanding the truck down spray it in the:

Doors

Tailgate

Rear wheel wells

Cab corners (inside rear panel for supercabs)

Cargo light

Vertical runs of the cowl

Bed back corners

Bed support channels

etc

Some of these don't necessarily have to be done before painting but I used this stuff and considering how easily it runs, I'd be scared to risk it finding a way onto the new paint.

If I ever have one of these trucks painted again or looks don't matter like with my 1ton I would research getting some Eastwood Inner Frame coating (or similar) that comes with a wand and before sanding the truck down spray it in the:

Doors

Tailgate

Rear wheel wells

Cab corners (inside rear panel for supercabs)

Cargo light

Vertical runs of the cowl

Bed back corners

Bed support channels

etc

Some of these don't necessarily have to be done before painting but I used this stuff and considering how easily it runs, I'd be scared to risk it finding a way onto the new paint.

If it runs so easily perhaps it's thin enough to be drawn into the pinch welds by capillary action?