Bullnose Forums

Supercab Rust

kramttocs

What causes the supercabs to rust along the bottom of the back portion below the rear (side) windows? Between the B pillar and the cab corner.

Is it the window? That was always my assumption but seeing how the gaskets are on the windows, that doesn't seem likely.

It also seems to occur an inch or so up.

For anyone that had done the repair, did anything stand out when you were in there?

Half tempted to take a sawzall to one in the jy and inspect it.

This is a place I am planning to spray the wax coating but got to wondering why it happens.

Edit: added some clarification

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What causes the supercabs to rust along the bottom of the back portion below the window?

I'm not familiar with Supercabs, but are you referring to the back wall, just above the floor, or "shelf" where the heads of the rear cab mount bolts are?

Is the area the same as a regular cab?

What causes the supercabs to rust along the bottom of the back portion below the window?

I'm not familiar with Supercabs, but are you referring to the back wall, just above the floor, or "shelf" where the heads of the rear cab mount bolts are?

Is the area the same as a regular cab?

Pictures would definitely help this thread out - let me see if I can find some.

I am referring to the sides behind the door but not quite to the cab corner.

Around here, a lot of them have a long strip between the cab corner and the door that has rusted open.

Never having looked at one I am not sure if the channel inside (where floor meets side wall) is rusted or not.

Pictures would definitely help this thread out - let me see if I can find some.

I am referring to the sides behind the door but not quite to the cab corner.

Around here, a lot of them have a long strip between the cab corner and the door that has rusted open.

Never having looked at one I am not sure if the channel inside (where floor meets side wall) is rusted or not.

Ahhh, OK. When you say back window you mean the back window on the side of the cab? My mind went to the back/rear window.

Ahhh, OK. When you say back window you mean the back window on the side of the cab? My mind went to the back/rear window.

My fault. The question popped into mind as I was laying in bed so posted without much thought. Added some clarification in the first post but I really need to add a photo.

My fault. The question popped into mind as I was laying in bed so posted without much thought. Added some clarification in the first post but I really need to add a photo.

The spray foam holds water back there.

Never played with supercab windows, but if the caulk in the gutters is bad it will let water run down the B pillar.

The windows may have their own weak spot. I'm not sure.

This is what they end up looking like around here. This is a local truck for sale, not far from me. There are a lot of these style trucks sitting/rotting around here. Popular work/company trucks.

117547398_10157332603581752_8060661977057900941_n.jpg.8091d636e45148af5c43bf78b3e03c8d.jpg

117305305_10157332603531752_9126596806539132130_n.jpg.a7d6114fada02c18086686b7abb7e706.jpg

This is what they end up looking like around here. This is a local truck for sale, not far from me. There are a lot of these style trucks sitting/rotting around here. Popular work/company trucks.

Do you think the door sill looks any better? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Even the salty slush off your boots will run down there and sit.

Once you go uphill and it runs back under that foam it is trapped.

Cab corners rot out all the time....

Super cabs just have highly visible cab corners a foot long.

Do you think the door sill looks any better? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Even the salty slush off your boots will run down there and sit.

Once you go uphill and it runs back under that foam it is trapped.

Cab corners rot out all the time....

Super cabs just have highly visible cab corners a foot long.

So you think it's rotting from inside the cab out?

Hope he doesn't mind me pointing it out but Kevin's (Teach) truck shows some of this (northern truck). Maybe he can check the channel on the inside and see what it looks like.

So you think it's rotting from inside the cab out?

Hope he doesn't mind me pointing it out but Kevin's (Teach) truck shows some of this (northern truck). Maybe he can check the channel on the inside and see what it looks like.

I definitely do.

The corner does not have the upturned pinch weld between floor and door gasket flange.

Ford filled these valleys with foam to keep water from pooling there, but eventually water gets under and sits there unable to evaporate