Bullnose Forums

Howdy 1986 f150 5.0 efi springtown TX

ColbyDC

Just scored two 1986 fords. One ranger 4x4 2.9 ext cab and a single cab f150 5.0 2wd. I've got the ranger up and running. Needs a few more things to be road worthy. But I can't get the f150 to fire. It turns over we'll and sounds good but can't get it to fire over. I fixed a few chewed up wires and still have more to fix. I can't figure out we're these wires go. One large ground wire coming off windshield wiper motor and an orange wire wrapped in the injector loom but doesn't appear to go in the plug. I've read the wiring diagram and there does appear to be an orange wire in the injector harness but I don't see a break anywere in it. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get it up and going again.

Welcome Colby! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/waving_orig.gif

I can say the wiper ground affixes to a valve cover bolt, or an intake manifold bolt on that side.

I need to poke around your photos on something bigger than my phone.

IMG_20201107_184908.thumb.jpg.0f65a35aeb8cf17233b92a9eff99466d.jpg

Welcome Colby! :nabble_waving_orig:

I can say the wiper ground affixes to a valve cover bolt, or an intake manifold bolt on that side.

I need to poke around your photos on something bigger than my phone.

Thank you!! That picture is a little bit clearer. The wires in question are to the left of the plug.

Thank you!! That picture is a little bit clearer. The wires in question are to the left of the plug.

Yes, welcome! Sorry I'm late to the party.

First, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu). Would you like to be added?

Second, I'm not seeing an orange wire in the EFI wiring diagram. Did you say you are? If so, which wire is it?

And, what is the "trace" color on the wire? Almost all the wires on these trucks have a second color, and knowing that would help me find out what it is.

8508850_orig.thumb.jpg.fdabbf84edfa5919930e0207c7ee9b5d.jpg

Yes, welcome! Sorry I'm late to the party.

First, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu). Would you like to be added?

Second, I'm not seeing an orange wire in the EFI wiring diagram. Did you say you are? If so, which wire is it?

And, what is the "trace" color on the wire? Almost all the wires on these trucks have a second color, and knowing that would help me find out what it is.

Gary,

You may be falling victim to the EVTM.

We all know that the manual doesn't show all the places in a connector let alone all the wires that may run together in a harness.

Gary,

You may be falling victim to the EVTM.

We all know that the manual doesn't show all the places in a connector let alone all the wires that may run together in a harness.

Yep. But I also have not only the Documentation/Electrical/Standard Wire & Color Codes document available but also a complete 1985 EVTM that is OCR'd. So I can search for the wire color and find every instance of it.

However, there are lots of uses of orange wires, which is why I asked for the trace color. That will nail it down pretty quickly.