Bullnose Forums

Door Panels & Interior Handle Boots

Interesting. So the grommets might have been used as early as '81. When was your truck produced and in what plant?

Eddie - Thanks! And, to add to the questions, your truck does have pin style locks, right? My info indicates that Louisville had changed back to pin style before 6/18/81.

Dave - The lock change happened at various times depending on the plant. My notes say "The door locks changed fairly close to 03/81 in most plants, but not in all of them. Kansas City produced trucks in 03/81 with slide locks, but by 04/81 had gone to pins. But Twin Cities was still using slide locks as late as 07/81."

Eddie - Thanks! And, to add to the questions, your truck does have pin style locks, right? My info indicates that Louisville had changed back to pin style before 6/18/81.

Dave - The lock change happened at various times depending on the plant. My notes say "The door locks changed fairly close to 03/81 in most plants, but not in all of them. Kansas City produced trucks in 03/81 with slide locks, but by 04/81 had gone to pins. But Twin Cities was still using slide locks as late as 07/81."

[Edit: just looked in reference section and see the difference in the drawings] I'm not sure what you guys mean by slider or pin locks for certain. But seems like from what I've read, the pin locks are what I have - the blue panel referenced earlier and photo I posted. I have no idea if my panels are original or not. They have a lot of wear to them and looked horrible when I bought the truck. I sanded and painted.

Slide locks were earlier? I figured the locks in mine were just a Ford thing - my mom's 78 Granada had same covers - the ones with no knobs at top that you can't open with a coat hanger.

The grommets are there and I don't remember any posts for the rubber on the back. I don't have my VIN on me, but seems like mine was built in VA in 10/81? I could be completely wrong though. The ink on my door tag is faded away - nothing legible other than the original printing.

[Edit: just looked in reference section and see the difference in the drawings] I'm not sure what you guys mean by slider or pin locks for certain. But seems like from what I've read, the pin locks are what I have - the blue panel referenced earlier and photo I posted. I have no idea if my panels are original or not. They have a lot of wear to them and looked horrible when I bought the truck. I sanded and painted.

Slide locks were earlier? I figured the locks in mine were just a Ford thing - my mom's 78 Granada had same covers - the ones with no knobs at top that you can't open with a coat hanger.

The grommets are there and I don't remember any posts for the rubber on the back. I don't have my VIN on me, but seems like mine was built in VA in 10/81? I could be completely wrong though. The ink on my door tag is faded away - nothing legible other than the original printing.

Slide locks were a 1980 & early '81 thing. You can see the slide in the door in the illustration below near the "Before 3/81" text. The door panels have a rectangular cutout for the sliders.

But that 3/81 date isn't accurate, as previously explained.

2480290_orig.jpg.7efd2b794f4806d5ce37480c58e826d3.jpg

Slide locks were a 1980 & early '81 thing. You can see the slide in the door in the illustration below near the "Before 3/81" text. The door panels have a rectangular cutout for the sliders.

But that 3/81 date isn't accurate, as previously explained.

My 1981's Vin code isnt super clear to me as the fifth letter is F = 80 F250 - 4WD (:nabble_anim_confused:) but later it says its the 36,425th vehicle built out of Sa Jose, Ca in 1981.

My 1981's Vin code isnt super clear to me as the fifth letter is F = 80 F250 - 4WD (:nabble_anim_confused:) but later it says its the 36,425th vehicle built out of Sa Jose, Ca in 1981.

My 81 F100 was made 11/80 so early 81 and has the slider locks.

You can see the big hold where the slider should be below the wooden arm rest.

20191103_171408.jpg.7dbdd5c1296e8acb7e75a61d17ed35af.jpg

I wonder if the handle gaskets were changed with the lock type?

You can see mine has (whats left) the studs.

20191103_093007.jpg.44785c73ff5cbfdacc79af9eb139ea9f.jpg

20191103_093043.jpg.4887d4334f103e973dd35512138bfd11.jpg

Because no one makes the slider parts and the door panels that have the hole I am thinking of going with the later panels and drilling the door for the pin type lock.

Now if I understand right not all panels use the gaskets like i have?

So I would need to come up with something then and also deal with if the pin rod will work with my latch assy.?

Dave ----

My 81 F100 was made 11/80 so early 81 and has the slider locks.

You can see the big hold where the slider should be below the wooden arm rest.

I wonder if the handle gaskets were changed with the lock type?

You can see mine has (whats left) the studs.

Because no one makes the slider parts and the door panels that have the hole I am thinking of going with the later panels and drilling the door for the pin type lock.

Now if I understand right not all panels use the gaskets like i have?

So I would need to come up with something then and also deal with if the pin rod will work with my latch assy.?

Dave ----

Interesting finds on these locks, panels, grommets etc. I don't know when the change to what I have on Darth came, but the opening for the inside handles have "fuzz" in them, like a push broom would have only shorter. I know it makes it a lot easier getting the panels off and back on as you can remove the handle first and reinstall it last. The later doors also use the same inside handles front and rear and I replaced the plastic ones with the metal ones for the earlier doors I also used the older linkage release system on the newer front doors so I do not have the problem with cable stretch.

Interesting finds on these locks, panels, grommets etc. I don't know when the change to what I have on Darth came, but the opening for the inside handles have "fuzz" in them, like a push broom would have only shorter. I know it makes it a lot easier getting the panels off and back on as you can remove the handle first and reinstall it last. The later doors also use the same inside handles front and rear and I replaced the plastic ones with the metal ones for the earlier doors I also used the older linkage release system on the newer front doors so I do not have the problem with cable stretch.

My 1990 door panels from my cab had the door handle sweepers, and if I recall correctly, so did dad's 1987 F150. So I would assume the sweepers came in 1987.