Bullnose Forums

Would You Rather: SAS or lift, discuss amongst yourselves

I like the idea of raising my Bronco purely for looks but not at all for off-road ability. I'm not pretending that it's otherwise, but I really like wrenching on my truck and look forward to the learning about things in general from fixing/restoring/modifying, so how it gets done is probably the most important aspect. I feel comfortable that, even with my limited experience, I could complete a lift installation and correct/debug. I'm not so sure about a SAS, though. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want, and I'm afraid a SAS would give me a lot of experience. I don't know how to weld or use an acetylene torch or anything like that so a SAS seems like a recipe for disappointment. But if I could actually complete it, it would be significantly more rewarding from the learning perspective, and I'd have one of the most robust axles in the world under me.

So, to your point Gary, you got a nice lift out of the swap (if you consider a lift nice which not everyone does). A story that I have heard A LOT is some variation on the story, "with all of the time and money I spent on getting my lift right, I wish I had just spent a little more and done the SAS." Am I the only one who hears this constant refrain from people who really spend time on their truck? In the interest of learning from those that came before me, it gives me pause.

I don't think I had to do any welding due to the SAS or RSK. LOTS of drilling rivets out and drilling a few new holes in the frame. But really nothing that was all that difficult.

By far the biggest issues I had were due to the bent frame and the fact that I got serial #1 of the SD RSK kits from Sky. After that it was just a lot of work.

I've not done a lift, so I can't compare.

I don't think I had to do any welding due to the SAS or RSK. LOTS of drilling rivets out and drilling a few new holes in the frame. But really nothing that was all that difficult.

By far the biggest issues I had were due to the bent frame and the fact that I got serial #1 of the SD RSK kits from Sky. After that it was just a lot of work.

I've not done a lift, so I can't compare.

A Bronco or 150 wouldn't have the front frame rails boxed, would it?

How much lift do you really think you want?

Are you including shocks, brake lines and driveshafts on top of the springs, drop pivots, tires and alignment?

I was considering a 4 inch lift, shocks, brake lines, springs, drop pivots, and steering stabilizer but no new driveshaft (since it's only 4 inches). I feel confident in my ability to install that as long as I'm not trying to do something "unique" or "creative".

The frame rails are not boxed on my Bronco. Obviously not an insignificant amount of welding involved to box those as part of the SAS. I couldn't even attempt to do that (although I'd love to observe and learn). I know there is some cutting involved that I might be able to pull off with a little help from someone. So that seems like a pretty steep mountain to climb for me and I don't want to end up dead on the side of Everest.

And then beyond the complexity of the SAS install itself, I'm still wondering whether it's just a fool's errand to begin with. Is it really a worthwhile pursuit?

Sorry to bother you with my dilemma. Just talking it out and taking it in. Mine are definitely first-world problems!

I was considering a 4 inch lift, shocks, brake lines, springs, drop pivots, and steering stabilizer but no new driveshaft (since it's only 4 inches). I feel confident in my ability to install that as long as I'm not trying to do something "unique" or "creative".

The frame rails are not boxed on my Bronco. Obviously not an insignificant amount of welding involved to box those as part of the SAS. I couldn't even attempt to do that (although I'd love to observe and learn). I know there is some cutting involved that I might be able to pull off with a little help from someone. So that seems like a pretty steep mountain to climb for me and I don't want to end up dead on the side of Everest.

And then beyond the complexity of the SAS install itself, I'm still wondering whether it's just a fool's errand to begin with. Is it really a worthwhile pursuit?

Sorry to bother you with my dilemma. Just talking it out and taking it in. Mine are definitely first-world problems!

Not a bother!

Coil spring radius beams are a world different than the 250 with reverse arched springs that have maybe an 1" to the bump stops.

Plus turning radius is limited by the tire rubbing the spring, and it is very hard to keep it aligned because the springs are fighting the pivots constantly.

What does a Bronco need?

Springs, drop pivots and a longer pitman arm?

What size tires do you have Chad?

Not a bother!

Coil spring radius beams are a world different than the 250 with reverse arched springs that have maybe an 1" to the bump stops.

Plus turning radius is limited by the tire rubbing the spring, and it is very hard to keep it aligned because the springs are fighting the pivots constantly.

What does a Bronco need?

Springs, drop pivots and a longer pitman arm?

What size tires do you have Chad?

I've got an 84 Bronco with the completely stock 4x4 suspension setup. It's riding on 31" via 15x8.

I've never done it but my understanding is that mine is a pretty straightforward lift. New pitman arms and potentially new radius arms, drop pivots, steering stabilizer, coils, shocks, new rear springs (not doing blocks), brake lines, bumps stops, etc. Obviously I'm excluding the new mounting parts but you get the idea. At 4" it is not a complex system as far as I know.

I've got an 84 Bronco with the completely stock 4x4 suspension setup. It's riding on 31" via 15x8.

I've never done it but my understanding is that mine is a pretty straightforward lift. New pitman arms and potentially new radius arms, drop pivots, steering stabilizer, coils, shocks, new rear springs (not doing blocks), brake lines, bumps stops, etc. Obviously I'm excluding the new mounting parts but you get the idea. At 4" it is not a complex system as far as I know.

At 4" you could probably do lift shackles instead of springs, if you like your spring rate...

Obviously lift springs in the rear are probably best, but I don't know if a FSB pitches as much as an early Bronco.

Greetings,

I have an 85 Bronco that I did a straight axle swap on about 5 years ago.

I used the long arm kit from James Duff. I live in Michigan and have a Western snowplow on my truck. The TTB did weird stuff when I carried the blade in the up position,the tops of tires would tip in. Going down the road the blade is hanging a few hundred pounds out front running on the inside edge of the tires was squirrelly.

My swap used a high pinion dana44 from a 79 F150. My original front driveshaft was reused.

The Duff kit does require a few inches of lift. Did have to cut the bottom off the crossmember. Zero regrets.

A side note about welding to these frames, Im pretty sure that I was told that welding these frames causes cracking. All my Duff parts were bolt ons.

For my application, love it! I am doing it to the one that I am building now.

Curt

Greetings,

I have an 85 Bronco that I did a straight axle swap on about 5 years ago.

I used the long arm kit from James Duff. I live in Michigan and have a Western snowplow on my truck. The TTB did weird stuff when I carried the blade in the up position,the tops of tires would tip in. Going down the road the blade is hanging a few hundred pounds out front running on the inside edge of the tires was squirrelly.

My swap used a high pinion dana44 from a 79 F150. My original front driveshaft was reused.

The Duff kit does require a few inches of lift. Did have to cut the bottom off the crossmember. Zero regrets.

A side note about welding to these frames, Im pretty sure that I was told that welding these frames causes cracking. All my Duff parts were bolt ons.

For my application, love it! I am doing it to the one that I am building now.

Curt

This conversation is very interesting. I didnt realize the RSK kit isnt a weld on kit. That makes it pretty appealing