Bullnose Forums

New 351W engine

Andre

Andre,

The clock not working is quite a clue.

I would perhaps unplug it, and see if the problem can be solved.

You can take the large yellow wire (cab feed) and go directly to the fuse after your alternator.

This way the ammeter wiring and shunt can just sit there until such time you upgrade to a voltmeter.

Ford was very good about keeping color codes over years and across product lines. (i.e. the oil pressure sender in my '87 truck is going to be the same W/R as found in a '74 Pinto)

Perhaps Gary has an '82 EVTM he can post more of in the documentation?

I do have a 1982 EVTM. I could scan it in w/o too much trouble, but creating an indexed setup like I have on the 1981, 85, and 86 EVTM's takes a lot of time. So I could just put it up as one pdf. However, the 1985 I've done that way, but isn't on the site, is 230 Mb, so you aren't going to just go to it for a quick reference. And you can't easily copy a page and put it in a post.

Would that work, Andre?

I do have a 1982 EVTM. I could scan it in w/o too much trouble, but creating an indexed setup like I have on the 1981, 85, and 86 EVTM's takes a lot of time. So I could just put it up as one pdf. However, the 1985 I've done that way, but isn't on the site, is 230 Mb, so you aren't going to just go to it for a quick reference. And you can't easily copy a page and put it in a post.

Would that work, Andre?

Perhaps just a few indexed pages?

EEC & dashboard (that include radio and clock) would help him most?

Also realize that he is in Spain for the winter, so there's little imperative.

And that's the rub with the EVTM.

The diagrams are never showing you the whole of the harness, only the circuit under analysis.

Perhaps just a few indexed pages?

EEC & dashboard (that include radio and clock) would help him most?

Also realize that he is in Spain for the winter, so there's little imperative.

And that's the rub with the EVTM.

The diagrams are never showing you the whole of the harness, only the circuit under analysis.

While it does just show a section of the wiring, I OCR the file so you can search for things. I've used the '85 file many times to find all of the uses of a certain wire color or circuit number. Comes in very handy - if a person will/can properly describe the wire colors.

While it does just show a section of the wiring, I OCR the file so you can search for things. I've used the '85 file many times to find all of the uses of a certain wire color or circuit number. Comes in very handy - if a person will/can properly describe the wire colors.

That's quite a process, but obviously has many advantages.

And I think the ability is not intuitive for most members (🙋)

Of course the more circuits removed, the farther it gets from something that the rest of us know and understand.... the less we are able to help.

That's quite a process, but obviously has many advantages.

And I think the ability is not intuitive for most members (🙋)

Of course the more circuits removed, the farther it gets from something that the rest of us know and understand.... the less we are able to help.

Yes, it isn't intuitive but is very helpful. And given the file size, now you can see why I've not put the '85 PDF on the site.

Yes, it isn't intuitive but is very helpful. And given the file size, now you can see why I've not put the '85 PDF on the site.

Guys,

The 85 EVTM as how available on the site has been very helpful for most of the changes I made, there might be some differences on the 82. I looked around for a CD to order with the most detailed information, but most of them do not go as deep as I want.

Problem is that I had only found a Company that was able to provide me with all the correct colored wires and sizes after the dashboard was already installed, and I understand now that many more wires can be eliminated now the car is wired with a conventional system.

When I get back to Holland again, I might just remove the dashboard once again, and start from scratch and make my own wiring harness, as this would give me the opportunity to include a stop/start system, and install electric door locks. Good friend of mine who is a master electronic technician will make me a complete new wire diagram as we go, this for future trouble shooting. As we might make our own dashboard cluster with all the gauges etc for more clarity and lighting it will change a lot to the original system.

If you guys know what the best 1982 Bronco/F150 CD on the market is, I can easily order this online.

Example as for under the hood, I now have the head light upgrade with relays, what eliminates the need to have head light wiring going to both sides from the cab, and so on. There are just so many more and better options available now as when the car was build, so I am trying to use the best of both worlds, and wire it as clean and lean as possible.

Thanks for the assistance and interest again.

Guys,

The 85 EVTM as how available on the site has been very helpful for most of the changes I made, there might be some differences on the 82. I looked around for a CD to order with the most detailed information, but most of them do not go as deep as I want.

Problem is that I had only found a Company that was able to provide me with all the correct colored wires and sizes after the dashboard was already installed, and I understand now that many more wires can be eliminated now the car is wired with a conventional system.

When I get back to Holland again, I might just remove the dashboard once again, and start from scratch and make my own wiring harness, as this would give me the opportunity to include a stop/start system, and install electric door locks. Good friend of mine who is a master electronic technician will make me a complete new wire diagram as we go, this for future trouble shooting. As we might make our own dashboard cluster with all the gauges etc for more clarity and lighting it will change a lot to the original system.

If you guys know what the best 1982 Bronco/F150 CD on the market is, I can easily order this online.

Example as for under the hood, I now have the head light upgrade with relays, what eliminates the need to have head light wiring going to both sides from the cab, and so on. There are just so many more and better options available now as when the car was build, so I am trying to use the best of both worlds, and wire it as clean and lean as possible.

Andre,

Gary can best answer your question about which version of the EVTM is best.

I'd think you would be better off with a full schematic if you intend to remake the harness from scratch.

I have an '87 with a different harness (more grounding points, etc..)

I wasn't aware the 80-86 trucks had two legs of the harness going all the way forward to the lights.

I thought the headlamp harness crossed the radiator support from the right side like mine.

The engine management computer is pretty independent from the rest of the harness and it is fairly easy to separate.

You just need to re-wrap the harness when done.

But if you're going to change the way the gauge cluster works, I can see the challenge.

I will be following your progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

Guys,

I haven't found a CD with the EVTM for any year. All I've found is the paper ones. And I have all of them from 1980 through 1987 and then 1995.

So, Andre, I can scan that paper one for you and put it on the site. It'll be a large file, probably over 200 Mb as the '85 is 229 Mb. But you could then download it and either print it or use it on your computer. The beauty of that is that it will be OCR'd so you can search for wire colors, connectors, functions, etc.

Rewiring the vehicle is a massive undertaking. But you are right, there are so many improvements that can be made. The manufacturers hadn't yet gone to relays for many things when our vehicles were designed, and a modern relay box can do wonders, and toward that end I suggest you read this thread wherein the guys have suggested various relay setups they've used.

But you certainly will need to keep track of all those wiring changes, so a schematic is the way to go. Otherwise troubleshooting will be a nightmare!

So, how soon do you need the '82 EVTM? I'm in the middle of something on my truck right now so I'm not ready to do it, but please let me know when you'd like it.

Jim - Andre is right, the two headlights are fed via different runs off the headlight switch. Nothing went over the radiator support. So the passenger's headlight frequently gets even less voltage than the driver's headlight, and since the voltage/lumens curve is ~exponential, that's a bad deal.

I haven't found a CD with the EVTM for any year. All I've found is the paper ones. And I have all of them from 1980 through 1987 and then 1995.

So, Andre, I can scan that paper one for you and put it on the site. It'll be a large file, probably over 200 Mb as the '85 is 229 Mb. But you could then download it and either print it or use it on your computer. The beauty of that is that it will be OCR'd so you can search for wire colors, connectors, functions, etc.

Rewiring the vehicle is a massive undertaking. But you are right, there are so many improvements that can be made. The manufacturers hadn't yet gone to relays for many things when our vehicles were designed, and a modern relay box can do wonders, and toward that end I suggest you read this thread wherein the guys have suggested various relay setups they've used.

But you certainly will need to keep track of all those wiring changes, so a schematic is the way to go. Otherwise troubleshooting will be a nightmare!

So, how soon do you need the '82 EVTM? I'm in the middle of something on my truck right now so I'm not ready to do it, but please let me know when you'd like it.

Jim - Andre is right, the two headlights are fed via different runs off the headlight switch. Nothing went over the radiator support. So the passenger's headlight frequently gets even less voltage than the driver's headlight, and since the voltage/lumens curve is ~exponential, that's a bad deal.

Oh, I wasn't doubting him, I was pointing out my unfamiliarity with the Bullnose harnii. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

An underhood power distribution center would be a huge upgrade, but as we discussed in the 3G thread, it is just the start.

A slippery slope, but if you're going into it with the intention of a new harness, it's the only viable first step.

Oh, I wasn't doubting him, I was pointing out my unfamiliarity with the Bullnose harnii. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

An underhood power distribution center would be a huge upgrade, but as we discussed in the 3G thread, it is just the start.

A slippery slope, but if you're going into it with the intention of a new harness, it's the only viable first step.

IMG_4363.jpg.7e58c11699c46cfc989ad3ce502a316b.jpgThanks guys,

Gary I wont need anything until March next year, so no rush, otherwise point out the best manual that has most interesting information I require, and maybe I can order it online.

I started already under the hood with the use of busbars, same for underneath the dash, makes it much easier to control and connect wiring. Same as for the engine, there are no wires from the sides, all is run through the middle and splits at the firewall. Also I used the right light harnass to swich the relays, and moved underneath the radiator to the left side. This makes the left wire harnass useless and is removed.

Not a big deal to rewire the car entirely, as I already done the engine bay, underneath the car to the back so the dashboard would be a massive upgrade, what gives me the opportunity to make other improvements.

Make the best of the holidays coming soon, although it will be different this year, in the meanwhile I am repainting the house in Spain.

AndreIMG_4249.jpg.ebb9a982b817b14ba70e059e2fc88c24.jpgIMG_4196.jpg.8d510571770b28f3a95961714ba43279.jpg