Bullnose Forums

New 351W engine

Andre

Since my last post of the Bronco being ready for the road again I mentioned that the engine remained with low oil pressure, and a bearing rattling sound when driving about 45. Did some checks and added some oil additive to see if this would change something, but the rattle remained, although oil pressure increased a little. Another sound in the back was indicating either loose flex plate bolts or converter nuts. Decision was made to order another engine, as this would come with warranty, and I can use the old 351 for another project for next year. This involves a 1969 Ford Ranchero, but for this project I will overhaul the old 351 first.

Engine has been installed, all rattles are gone, even the suspected flex or converter noise, what most likely came from bearing end play. Oil pressure is now at 60 psi when cold, and remains at 35 psi when hot, tested with external pressure gauge. It was also noted that the 750 cfm carb that was installed at the old engine is way to big for this engine, therefore a new 600 cfm was installed, and makes the car pick up from idle to driving steady and instant. While the engine was removed I overhauled the steering column, that had some play on bearings and bushings, this is also much easier on handling now. As I do have a tilt column, some play remains, but this normal on the tilt unit, but this is nothing compared to what I noticed before.

As its raining a lot in Holland at the moment, I need to use the wipers anytime I drive, and a strange effect started, when switching off the car, the radio would remain on. I suspected the ignition switch, and while overhauling the steering column, the ignition switch and ignition key was changed, with the same result after starting the car with the new engine.

With some measuring and looking for information in Gary's library, I came to find out that the radio and wipers are on the same 12 volt power source, and the fuse would remain hot when the car was switched off. Playing with the wiper switch would drop the 12 volt power from the fuse and the radio switched off as well. This indicates that the delay switch under the dash, and installed to return the wipers to neutral after switching of the car would keep the power on to the wipers and radio, but when I turned the wipers to on and directly off again, it would trigger the relay to drop the 12 volts.

So another thing to change for the future, the wiper switch with delay module, as this would have to resolve the issue.

While the engine was out, we also painted the main brake cylinder, as without paint the new unit started to corrode a little.

Project to come to an hold for this year, as I will be going to Spain for the winter, and cannot take the Bronco due to restrictions in winter time with oldtimer cars, so time to relax and prepare parts for next year again.IMG_4978.jpg.0b969273dd5f4361849b9bdcc8035431.jpg

The bullnose site is great to find important information, especially drawings etc.

IMG_4887.jpg.3c9161cc2b5d4714e35d5f63a68f0d76.jpgIMG_4938.jpg.3b1bd8538dad76182e0c8d8526bcd10a.jpgIMG_4940.jpg.eec45d5d237b18ce7e0b2c2d4aaed399.jpgIMG_4974.jpg.8acd5b6b5baa47129ca5e2346a91f33e.jpgIMG_4982.jpg.a279503d480380724d6fc40fbadd8f4d.jpgIMG_5025.jpg.7fc9f9d8a102eedebe7349f6c7495080.jpgIMG_4934.jpg.e1e1613e6451cd98f4d7ee380f68a4a8.jpgIMG_4935.jpg.fe8bb890462b3a30123a7ee814983db3.jpg

Have a great winter all.

Excellent job, Andre! The new engine looks fantastic, and the steering column work had to have helped a bunch. :nabble_anim_claps:

But I don't agree on the diagnosis on the windshield wipers. As shown in the schematic below, the wipers should only be getting power in Accy or Run. So if you have power to the wipers and the radio when the key is off then there's a problem either in the wiring or in the ignition switch itself.

One test for the ignition switch would be to pull the connector off the switch when the key is off and there is still voltage on the radio or wipers. If the power goes away then the problem has to do with the switch.

Did you adjust the switch with the instructions shown on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and the Ignition Switch tab? Maybe it is just out of adjustment?

Anyway, good luck in Spain. We are reading here that cases of COVID-19 are growing rapidly in Europe, as they are here. Stay safe!

1985-etm-page118.thumb.jpg.429d1709da93c3df0b5ffb49bc3cf4de.jpg

Andre,

Your new engine looks fantastic, and it seems drives much better with an appropriately sized carburetor.

The Bronco itself is stunning.

I hope that even though your Ranchero doesn't quite fit in here as a Bullnose you will keep us updated on your return from Spain.

Another of our members -George, from Louisiana- has a cherished Ranchero as well.

Please enjoy your sunny winter home.

Perhaps share some vacation photos with us! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Excellent job, Andre! The new engine looks fantastic, and the steering column work had to have helped a bunch. :nabble_anim_claps:

But I don't agree on the diagnosis on the windshield wipers. As shown in the schematic below, the wipers should only be getting power in Accy or Run. So if you have power to the wipers and the radio when the key is off then there's a problem either in the wiring or in the ignition switch itself.

One test for the ignition switch would be to pull the connector off the switch when the key is off and there is still voltage on the radio or wipers. If the power goes away then the problem has to do with the switch.

Did you adjust the switch with the instructions shown on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and the Ignition Switch tab? Maybe it is just out of adjustment?

Anyway, good luck in Spain. We are reading here that cases of COVID-19 are growing rapidly in Europe, as they are here. Stay safe!

Thanks for the nice words, but Gary I agree to disagree, when the Bronco first drove again, there was no issue with this at all, but was raining a lot at the same time when I drove it a month ago, this is when it started, radio would not switch off when removing the key. When I did the steering column, replaced the switch and ignition mainly to have a new key and not possible to rotate without key. As the column was out, it was perfect to adjust the ignition switch, and all is working fine, but still the radio would remain on when removing the key.

After doing some trouble shooting and measuring at the fuses, I found out that the power at the fuse to the radio remained on, but when switching the wiper switch to on and off again, it would kill the power at the fuse.

As both are on the same fuse, and doing some googling, the power remains on at the ( my guess ) internal governor until the wipers have returned to the neutral position. This to not have the wipers sitting half way the wind screen.

How I am so sure, as when I leave the wipers on, or on interval, and shut down the car and remove the key, the wipers return to neutral, and radio switching off, as supposed to do.

I just need to figure out if this is the wiper switch or internal governor, or maybe do best to replace both.

Other then that, the car has massive power now, and acceleration is as never before. Looking to buy some fender flares, as with this set up on tires, mud and water is flying everywhere, as the wheels at the front are sticking out a little to far. Also have received new door hinges, as they are sagging a little.

Fuel consumption is also horrible, but that I knew, and is not an issue for the reason I have the car, it wont be driving 100.000 a year.

I'm happy with spending the extra buck on long block and steering column, as it makes all the difference, only need to connect the cooling water hoses now from the engine to the heater coil, as I am freezing my feet of now when driving, I left them off to make sure the engine was fine, but connecting them to the heater coil is no issue, as this was replaced for new as well.

Thanks again for all the help, and great information on the site.IMG_4708.jpg.07a93d28e4ee3f49f84dedf16d6f98cf.jpgIMG_5022.jpg.bb8515701002ac4f1cff67ebb51bf5bc.jpg

Thanks for the nice words, but Gary I agree to disagree, when the Bronco first drove again, there was no issue with this at all, but was raining a lot at the same time when I drove it a month ago, this is when it started, radio would not switch off when removing the key. When I did the steering column, replaced the switch and ignition mainly to have a new key and not possible to rotate without key. As the column was out, it was perfect to adjust the ignition switch, and all is working fine, but still the radio would remain on when removing the key.

After doing some trouble shooting and measuring at the fuses, I found out that the power at the fuse to the radio remained on, but when switching the wiper switch to on and off again, it would kill the power at the fuse.

As both are on the same fuse, and doing some googling, the power remains on at the ( my guess ) internal governor until the wipers have returned to the neutral position. This to not have the wipers sitting half way the wind screen.

How I am so sure, as when I leave the wipers on, or on interval, and shut down the car and remove the key, the wipers return to neutral, and radio switching off, as supposed to do.

I just need to figure out if this is the wiper switch or internal governor, or maybe do best to replace both.

Other then that, the car has massive power now, and acceleration is as never before. Looking to buy some fender flares, as with this set up on tires, mud and water is flying everywhere, as the wheels at the front are sticking out a little to far. Also have received new door hinges, as they are sagging a little.

Fuel consumption is also horrible, but that I knew, and is not an issue for the reason I have the car, it wont be driving 100.000 a year.

I'm happy with spending the extra buck on long block and steering column, as it makes all the difference, only need to connect the cooling water hoses now from the engine to the heater coil, as I am freezing my feet of now when driving, I left them off to make sure the engine was fine, but connecting them to the heater coil is no issue, as this was replaced for new as well.

Thanks again for all the help, and great information on the site.

A nice Spider behind the Bronco there... Can't quite tell if it's a Series 3 or 4, looks like 4?

A nice Spider behind the Bronco there... Can't quite tell if it's a Series 3 or 4, looks like 4?

I noticed that too, in the first photo.

But not the car you'd choose in a cold rain. 😅

Don't discount the wiper motor.

63 -park- is live all the time and known to go bad often enough.

I'd have to look at the radio page to see if it is possible for that to feed the radio

Thanks again for all the help, and great information on the site.

Andre - I haven't tested Big Blue, but I thought that when you turn the key off the wipers stop where they are and don't continue running to the Park position. If I'm right, yours is wired differently that the norm

All - Can someone confirm that? Do your wipers stop when you turn the key off?

Andre - I'll check Big Blue tomorrow if no one else beats me to it.

Andre - I haven't tested Big Blue, but I thought that when you turn the key off the wipers stop where they are and don't continue running to the Park position. If I'm right, yours is wired differently that the norm

Yes, the wipers stop wherever when you turn the ignition off...

edit - that could just be the way mine is wired now, but I'm reasonably sure it was that way before too.

If you have your wipers on and shut the truck off the wipers don't park?

They just stop mid stroke?