Bullnose Forums

New user here

Chris85250s

***If I were the PO*** I think I would have bought a re-man engine for $1500 and kept rolling with it! :nabble_smiley_good:Does it have the old engine now (for core)?Edit: I see you say you're rebuilding the engine now.
I picked up a motor that had 40k on it out of a rv, I tore it down, gonna have it bored to .030 and build it with some goodies. Paid 200 for that 460

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 6:23 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

***If I were the PO*** I think I would have bought a re-man engine for $1500 and kept rolling with it! :nabble_smiley_good:Does it have the old engine now (for core)?Edit: I see you say you're rebuilding the engine now.
Also had a set do DO0e-R heads for it as well. And the motor that was blown had and eldebrock performer aluminum intake and eldebrock 750 I think. So I’ll use that stuff on the new 460 as well as a set of full tube headers and a bunch of other goodies I got for it. Hopefully be in the 400hp/500 torque range. Want this thing to pull a fifth wheel nice and easy!

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 6:23 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

I don't think the CJ/SCJ heads are going to do you ANY favors in your 466 application.

The intake runners are way too big, and they don't start to shine until you get to a cam with .600 lift and a very long exhaust lobe.

They will spin to 8k with a Dommie on a Victor type intake, but none of that is where you say you're going.

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd much rather go with some nicely ported D0VE-C's and trade those heads for a stroker crank with forged rods for tow duty.

521 seems the sweet spot.

L&L produce about the only rugged headers for that engine.

I'll let Gary fill you in about the fitment problems!

Just my 2c but I wouldn't want to be turning huge revs to make power dragging something around.

If it were a pulling truck or drag car in an iron head class then you've got gold.

Scott Johnson is a member here and he has the chops to back that up, but I'm just another know-it-all on the internet...

Scott Johnson is a member here and he has the chops to back that up, but I'm just another know-it-all on the internet...

The headers that were on Big Blue when I got him were L&L's, and they touched the frame on the driver's side. I had Scott Johnson build me a 460 with EFI heads, which take different exhausts, and bought L&L's because of the 1/2" thick flange on them, which prevents leaks. But they hit the frame on the passenger's side. So I had to trim ~1/2 for a ways off the bottom of the frame to get the needed clearance.

The headers that were on Big Blue when I got him were L&L's, and they touched the frame on the driver's side. I had Scott Johnson build me a 460 with EFI heads, which take different exhausts, and bought L&L's because of the 1/2" thick flange on them, which prevents leaks. But they hit the frame on the passenger's side. So I had to trim ~1/2 for a ways off the bottom of the frame to get the needed clearance.

Scottie is THE 385 head porting guru! (along with Paul Kane) :nabble_smiley_good:

Parklandautomachine.com

Ask him about what I said.

Maybe he'll want to buy them. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I don't think the CJ/SCJ heads are going to do you ANY favors in your 466 application.The intake runners are way too big, and they don't start to shine until you get to a cam with .600 lift and a very long exhaust lobe.They will spin to 8k with a Dommie on a Victor type intake, but none of that is where you say you're going.If it were me (and it isn't) I'd much rather go with some nicely ported D0VE-C's and trade those heads for a stroker crank with forged rods for tow duty.521 seems the sweet spot.L&L produce about the only rugged headers for that engine.I'll let Gary fill you in about the fitment problems!Just my 2c but I wouldn't want to be turning huge revs to make power dragging something around.If it were a pulling truck or drag car in an iron head class then you've got gold.Scott Johnson is a member here and he has the chops to back that up, but I'm just another know-it-all on the internet...
So you are saying my DOVe heads won’t do anything for me? Almost all I’ve read is that these heads setting the timing back to 0, and the intake and headers will wake it up a lot. I’m no know it all and to be honest kinda just jumped into putting a motor In this truck on a whim! It’s to nice to rob parts off for my plow truck.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 7:33 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

First off, above you say you have doors, now you say you have doves....

There's a BIG difference between Cobra Jet/Super Cobra Jet heads and 1970 Lincoln heads, like valve sizes, port location and the intake runner volume.

If you want a race car the doors stand above the doves, but unless you're building a race engine I think either of those would be bettered by a pair of well ported D3's if you're looking for the torque to tow something.

Add the fact that the Edelbrock Performer series won't even meet the ports in a CJ head and you have a recipe for disappointment.

Especially with a small displacement build where you're going to have to rev it to the moon to get those ports to have any filling inertia.

"There is no replacement for displacement" is an absolute fact.

If you want to move big heavy things you need grunt like a lineman, not a sprinting running back.

If you have the Performer and only a 750 carb, trade those heads for something better suited to you needs... like a stroker crank that will give you more displacement and compression in one swoop.

Have someone work the bowls and exhaust ports of some smaller runner heads and choose a cam that tops out at ~5,500.

Talk to Scott. His email is on his website.

He knows more about these things than any 10 of us, and can get you a cam ground specifically for your application.

Gary will tell you, he's a straight shooter and good to work with.