Bullnose Forums

Wiring fog lights. Is this a good idea?

I have my fog lights wired so they shut off if the high beams are on (fog light switch wired to 87A of the high beam relay)

Having the high beams on in dense fog is self defeating.

If they are driving lights you probably want them on with the high beams so Gary's isolator harness is the simplest route, and using the unused drivers side headlamp socket from the factory harness is probably the WTG.

I wish Radio Shack was still in every corner of the country when little projects like this pop up.

Trying to source two diodes costs more in time and shipping than they do these days.

Yep can't just go buy one or two, you have to buy a box of 1000 online.

That's not true.

Go to Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark or others and get as few as you need.

SMD's on a spool perhaps not, but anything with legs is sold individually

That's not true.

Go to Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark or others and get as few as you need.

SMD's on a spool perhaps not, but anything with legs is sold individually

FWIW, I ordered a set of these (4 pack means that I'll have 3 in a drawer for the next 30 years):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q81Y4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just using a universal relay like the ones in the heavy duty lighting harness so I don't need a variety of spares.

I agree that there are situations where you would want independent control of fog/driving lights vs the headlights and that is a far better way to do it. That way you could not only conform with the law but light correctly for conditions. This way of doing it is just a personal preference because Georgia doesn't get fog, and when it does it isn't the "thick as soup" variety.