Bullnose Forums

So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

I have a Carquest (Wix) filter right now.

NAPA, Mann, Motorcraft,...

Depends on where I am.

I DID notice a distinct lack of any kind of orange in the filter aisle at Advance when I picked up filters and plugs a week or so ago.

Seems a good move to me.

Thanks. What about the small rectangular filter that sits inside the air cleaner and filters the air from the crankcase emission valve? Do you have a part number? I do not see a reference for it in the parts book.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. What about the small rectangular filter that sits inside the air cleaner and filters the air from the crankcase emission valve? Do you have a part number? I do not see a reference for it in the parts book.

It's supposed to be filtering air going INTO the valve cover breather.

There is no filter that I know of on the PCV that is air (and oil mist) coming out of the crankcase and going into the intake manifold.

It's just a piece of non-woven mesh.

I don't see any one being 'better' than another.

What manufacturer do you want?

I'm in the parts store right now

It's supposed to be filtering air going INTO the valve cover breather.

There is no filter that I know of on the PCV that is air (and oil mist) coming out of the crankcase and going into the intake manifold.

It's just a piece of non-woven mesh.

I don't see any one being 'better' than another.

What manufacturer do you want?

I'm in the parts store right now

Chris says go with Purolator B43127.

It's under $5

Thanks, that helped me to find the part.

For future reference, the crankcase emission filter Ford part number is D8AZ-9D697-A, or Motorcraft FA-678.

Thanks for adding the factory PN! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I have the parts and service manuals on CD but no optical reader I can use ATM

Thanks for adding the factory PN! :nabble_anim_handshake:

I have the parts and service manuals on CD but no optical reader I can use ATM

Happy to give back.

As for the dual snorkel set up, is the increased performance noticeable, like breathing through both nostrils instead of one?

If yes, why haven't more owners made the upgrade?

It seems a cool(*) mod which I wouldn't mind trying, although I can already see Steve83 shaking his head saying Broncos work just fine with the one.

Happy to give back.

As for the dual snorkel set up, is the increased performance noticeable, like breathing through both nostrils instead of one?

It seems a cool(*) mod which I wouldn't mind trying, although I can already see Steve83 shaking his head saying Broncos work just fine with the one.

The dual snorkel wasn't a truck option that I know of.

1970's performance cars could be had this way.

'80's Mustang's too.

My 460, and 351HO's had a 'scoop' on the driver's side that would open as vacuum dropped.

This may have been underhood air, but it was not restrictive, like the single snorkel.

Happy to give back.

It certainly didn't hurt in my '85 GT notch.

I think a 5.0l could be helped by it.

But the cams are different and how often do you drive WOT in top gear in your truck?

It certainly didn't hurt in my '85 GT notch.

I think a 5.0l could be helped by it.

But the cams are different and how often do you drive WOT in top gear in your truck?

I think it will help, but I did/am doing it because I think it looks cool and will cause the old timer's to :nabble_anim_confused:. I used a 5.8L HO air cleaner housing and grafted on a matching snorkel, so it looks factory. And I discovered that if you turn some of the cold air inlet tubing upside down it'll fit so you can plumb the 2nd snorkel to the radiator support - with factory pieces.