Bullnose Forums

So, there was a factory dual snorkle air cleaner for trucks with 5.8L H.O.???

Those of you running the factory style air cleaner assemblies...with single or dual snorkels, what are you running for air filters? Stock paper style, or K&N reusable style?

I have been running the stock paper style, but Big Blue came with the reusable one so that's what I ran. Not sure what I'll run with EFI though. Some say the K&N flows much better, but others say the oil gets on the MAF sensor. Dunno.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been running the stock paper style, but Big Blue came with the reusable one so that's what I ran. Not sure what I'll run with EFI though. Some say the K&N flows much better, but others say the oil gets on the MAF sensor. Dunno.

Oil (and dust) will definitely get onto your MAF sensor.

Gauze is not as fine as paper, regardless of sticky oil, and about the time that the cake builds up to where it is as good as paper, you need to clean it.

Just my opinion after having used them for years.

I have gone back to paper

Oil (and dust) will definitely get onto your MAF sensor.

Gauze is not as fine as paper, regardless of sticky oil, and about the time that the cake builds up to where it is as good as paper, you need to clean it.

Just my opinion after having used them for years.

I have gone back to paper

I agree, the MAP Sensor on our Burb got oily and dirty, put paper in ever since on all my vehicles.

I agree with these guys for the same reasons. I use the stock paper air filters.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for all the responses. The reason I was asking was, ever since I installed the Mustang 5.0 dual snorkel intake, the truck stinks bad when I bring it home and pull into the garage. Like gas/fumes smell. I've pulled the air cleaner cover off, and it is the air filter that smells...or it is the air filter that is holding the smell. Any idea what would cause this?

It was never an issue with the open element air cleaner, for 2 seasons.

Maybe it has something to do with the other issues I'm currently working on, like replacing my leaky intake gasket, and getting the carb set-up properly, but I wanted to look into it while I'm in the process of getting this thing all dialed back in properly.

I agree with these guys for the same reasons. I use the stock paper air filters.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for all the responses. The reason I was asking was, ever since I installed the Mustang 5.0 dual snorkel intake, the truck stinks bad when I bring it home and pull into the garage. Like gas/fumes smell. I've pulled the air cleaner cover off, and it is the air filter that smells...or it is the air filter that is holding the smell. Any idea what would cause this?

It was never an issue with the open element air cleaner, for 2 seasons.

Maybe it has something to do with the other issues I'm currently working on, like replacing my leaky intake gasket, and getting the carb set-up properly, but I wanted to look into it while I'm in the process of getting this thing all dialed back in properly.

Make the corrections to your carburetor, or replace it as previously discussed, and see if the objectionable smell goes away? That way you will know if the carburetor and vacuum leak was the issue. Then, change the filter element, if desired.

• 4 months later...

Are stock paper filters made by Motorcraft?

Granted it’s air-cleaner specific, but which ones do you guys use?

I have a Carquest (Wix) filter right now.

NAPA, Mann, Motorcraft,...

Depends on where I am.

I DID notice a distinct lack of any kind of orange in the filter aisle at Advance when I picked up filters and plugs a week or so ago.

Seems a good move to me.